GSD (and other large dog owners)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My GSD is an Australian cattle-dog blue heeler mixed with German Shepard. So he is a tad lighter in weight but just as tall. I feed him diamond naturals.

Originally Posted by spasm3
My GSD is an Australian cattle-dog blue heeler mixed with German Shepard. So he is a tad lighter in weight but just as tall. I feed him diamond naturals.

I use Diamond Naturals too....they are high quality and reasonably priced at Tractor Supply....I'd use Kirkland if I belonged to Costco because it meets the same criteria I mentioned.

I had a ACD/JRT (Jack Russell) mix a few years ago....what a great dog....he was 25 pounds and FEARLESS...(actually got hurt fighting a dumb neighbors 100+ lb. pitbull/Rott mix (she let it roam loose and it came to my property....it eventually got killed by a car)...My ACD/JRT was very protective of my wife....the most protective dog we've ever had...and that included an Airedale, a GSD and a very protective JackRat (JRT/Rat terrier mix).....I'll probably stick to mix breeds (with JRT blood) in the future because of size, health and grit...

Originally Posted by pbm

I use Diamond Naturals too....they are high quality and reasonably priced at Tractor Supply....I'd use Kirkland if I belonged to Costco because it meets the same criteria I mentioned.

I have a costco membership, so i'll compare prices! Thanks.

We fed our much larger than a German Shepherd Great Pyrenees dog table scraps, because he preferred these to any kibble and I think liked to eat what his family ate.
Salmon, beef, pork, potatoes, spaghetti carbonara, white clam sauce, marinara sauce, veggies, or lamb didn't matter. The dog was happy with them.
Pig ears and dried lamb's lungs were a bonus as were Milk Bones.
A family dog should get the table scraps from the family and he will regulate his intake of kibble to account for his activity level and age, or at least our Pyr did.
Dogs are naturally omnivores, so feeding them your food won't hurt them at all. Also, a dog is a part of the family, and would you expect you or your spouse or children to subsist on kibble?
They could, but should they?

Yes, GSD is a "standard" abbreviation, but I am a long time dog owner and had to look it up. I know, it takes a long time to type in the name and life is short. Plus its trendy to use abbreviations whenever possible.

My labradoodles (100 lbs and 80 lbs) and our grand-dog Golden Retriever mix (50 lbs) like Sam's Club Lamb & Rice. Solid stools, shiny coats they eat it eagerly, all is well. I tried a food from Costco but they weren't fans.

My doodles don't eat "people food" but the grand-dog is trying to teach them to counter surf. Gotta watch that one. Like I told my daughter, better that she moved back in with a dog than a baby...

Originally Posted by fdcg27
We fed our much larger than a German Shepherd Great Pyrenees dog table scraps, because he preferred these to any kibble and I think liked to eat what his family ate.
Salmon, beef, pork, potatoes, spaghetti carbonara, white clam sauce, marinara sauce, veggies, or lamb didn't matter. The dog was happy with them.
Pig ears and dried lamb's lungs were a bonus as were Milk Bones.
A family dog should get the table scraps from the family and he will regulate his intake of kibble to account for his activity level and age, or at least our Pyr did.
Dogs are naturally omnivores, so feeding them your food won't hurt them at all. Also, a dog is a part of the family, and would you expect you or your spouse or children to subsist on kibble?
They could, but should they?

You are attempting to justify your post with emotion. Dogs ate what was left over by its master's for millennia. Give them whatever be it kibble, table scraps, or gourmet you are satisfying yourself more than anything.

No, this was satisfying to the dog as well. Nothing emotional about it and nothing I need justify.
He never begged for kibble but he did beg for leftovers, pig ears and lamb's lungs.
Dogs like real, tasty human-grade food as much as you or I.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
No, this was satisfying to the dog as well. Nothing emotional about it and nothing I need justify.
He never begged for kibble but he did beg for leftovers, pig ears and lamb's lungs.
Dogs like real, tasty human-grade food as much as you or I.

Nope emotion based. If the dog becomes hungry the dog will beg for kibble. Dogs will beg for rancid meat begging is not a good indicator on the feeding preferences of dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back