2 cycle Toro giving me trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Toro 25cc leaf blower I've owned for about half its 6-year life. Good machine but has given me trouble the last two falls when the weather has cooled down.

In the last couple of weeks I've changed out the carb, fuel lines, spark plug, gas cap and fuel filter.

Since those changes, I've got it to where it starts pretty well. It'll run fully choked and at half choke. Even then, it dies out after a minute or so of use. It's just like the fuel supply just shuts off. Also, it refuses to stay running at all if the choke is taken all the way off.

It is a Walbro WYC-7 carb and does not appear adjustable.

I'm at 2800 ft. elevation and I'm trying to run this thing in 50 and 60 degree temps. It ran fine over the summer when in the 80s and 90s.

Any ideas? I'm baffled.

How is the compression and does it have a catalytic converter or a clogged spark arrestor? Wild guess. Seems a carb or intake problem but you have covered all that. The carb to engine gasket good?

Last edited:
Clogged fuel filter...when you demand/need more fuel.. It dies...

Another possibility is that your vent hole is also clogged and that you have vaccum in a fuel tank...

Try some SeaFoam and run it periodically as well. Personally, I put some right in my gas can so I know each piece, lawnmowers especially, get some with every tank of fuel.

If it's a barrel type carburetor then there is possibly a low speed adjustment screw located down inside of the throttle shaft. Take a look down the hole where the throttle cable attaches and see if there is any adjuster there. Some have them but a few don't.

Originally Posted by Rand
do those even have a fuel filter?

It's the same "clunk" style you find inside the fuel tank of a weedeater trimmer.

The ones made of "pressed plastic sand granules" are better than the ones that look like washers of felt stacked.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

In order:

New gaskets installed with the new carb. I removed the spark arrestor last fall when I first started having trouble with the blower.

Fuel filter is new so I don't think it can possibly be clogged. Tank vent clog is something I'll take a look at. Hoped a new gas cap would alleviate any issues with that. (I fixed an Echo once for a buddy that had a similar issue and it was a faulty gas cap.)

I am also a believer in treating each can of gas with some Seafoam so every tank gets a little.

Yep, barrel style carb. I don't think there's a screw to adjust the carb up near the throttle cable attach point. It's just a small black plastic piece down in that hole and it doesn't look like there's anyway it would accept an adjustment tool. It seems like a carb adjustment is what it needs.

I don't want to give up on the darn thing, especially after spending $25 on it lately. However, I did buy a decent (it starts and runs) Weedeater blower off Cragslist today for $20 so I can clean up the yard this fall.

Don't worry about the spark arrestor, it doesn't need it.
You might have a crankcase or intake manifold air leak, check that first.
Some Walbro WYC carbs are adjustable after they have the removable plastic plugs taken out of the adjustment holes, but some are sealed with epoxy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlsVcCdzaoA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back