Auto or stick in a pick up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone as alot of you probably know I am a die hard stick shift fan. However I am looking for a cheap older truck. Here is my thoughts and tell me if you disagree.
I kind of think buying an automatic is a better idea in an older truck because if it goes out I would imagine finding a replacement is easier at the junk yard than a stick. Also they seem to pull Better and have a better gear ratio. Also in regards to early 90's Chevy's it seems like the sticks weren't very good and the first 5 speed was only ok. Any thoughts on this?

I am a die hard stick fan myself...and will only drive sticks for DD...that being said, the trucks I have owned have all been slush boxes, and will always be. It is so much easier to pull a boat out of the water, keep constant pressure on pulling down a tree, creep along a service road...all so much easier with an auto.

I'm a die hard stick fan too. Having said that if I were to buy a PU I'd get an automatic. Towing capacity is higher, and traffic on Long Island is so bad a stick is no longer as much fun to drive as it once was.

Any truck with a stick should have a scangage fitted for best economy...

NV3500's weren't very good but they are a drop in replacement for a 700r auto (mounts and dimensionally) they are also cheap and can be rebuilt to be "decent" (unlike the 700r4 which always sucks)
Nv4500's are excellent but also rare and expensive .
Pick your poison I suppose.

My experience is that finding a 1/2 ton 2wd stick is expensive and downright impossible to begin with. Heck around the "area" there are 596 trucks and only 2 are 2wd sticks .

On my diesel Suburbans I would just swap out the auto when it failed for a stick, fit the hydraulic clutch pedal and put in a caddy rear end and never look back, best $350 investment for $$$ savings.

Sticks aren't fun if you get a short shifter with a hilly+ stops terrain, I never did like non-sync'd 1st gears either.
Getting an antique $50 2wd t-case with a 1:1 and 2:1 gear ratio solves any stick/gearing related "drivability " issues though couple with a 2.8 rear and you can pull stumps or have airplane gears for economy,

Good Luck

If you don't have a preference, just find the best truck, and whether it's a stick or automatic doesn't matter. Whatever it has it has.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I prefer a stick. My F250 is a stick and I had to search to find it. Only time a stick isn't good is when pulling a boat out of a lake.

4-low fixes that mostly.. although auto is still preferable.

To the OP: its not like you are ordering something factory new here...

Look at trucks.. find the one in the best shape for the least $$$.. and buy it.

Well around here and most places autos are alot more common. I originally was thinking a stick but after using logic I think an auto makes more sense and opens up alot more trucks to look at . I am actually looking at my friends dad's truck here in an hour. It's a 92 f150 with a 4.9 e4od. It's 2wd but maybe I'll just get a locker that would be good enough for anything I do I would imagine.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

NV3500's weren't very good but they are a drop in replacement for a 700r auto (mounts and dimensionally) they are also cheap and can be rebuilt to be "decent" (unlike the 700r4 which always sucks)

My experience is that finding a 1/2 ton 2wd stick is expensive and downright impossible to begin with. Heck around the "area" there are 596 trucks and only 2 are 2wd sticks .

On my diesel Suburbans I would just swap out the auto when it failed for a stick, fit the hydraulic clutch pedal and put in a caddy rear end and never look back, best $350 investment for $$$ savings.

Sticks aren't fun if you get a short shifter with a hilly+ stops terrain, I never did like non-sync'd 1st gears either.
Getting an antique $50 2wd t-case with a 1:1 and 2:1 gear ratio solves any stick/gearing related "drivability " issues though couple with a 2.8 rear and you can pull stumps or have airplane gears for economy,

Good Luck

NV3500's are bulletproof. Just don't tow in 5th.

Good Luck
Manual trans reg cab 2WD are cheap here, no one wants to drive them in the snow and they suck for anything but a work truck. 2019 Ram crew cab 1500 25% off MSRP with 0% financing is pretty enticing for a normie.

I don't think the NV3500 was meant for full sized trucks but the NV4500 is overkill on a 305 TBI. The 5600 and the Ford ZF 5 spd manual are even rarer and more expensive!

I saw this 80s square body burb with a 6.2 and a stick at a car show. It traveled Africa in some sort of rally or something and had bullet holes in it. I'm going to examine any 6.2 burb I see but I flipped when I saw the shiftier coming through the floor!

It might depend on the truck. The 90's chevies are I think only NV3500 and NV4500, and i'll agree with the other poster - the 3500 is pretty light duty and also used in the lighter S10/Colorado but shouldn't be hard to find a replacement for or redo. The 4500 is a bit rare, but is a great transmission. Whether the 700R4 sucks might depend on your usage - anything that lasts 150,000 hard police miles and another 350,000 taxi miles in those Caprices of the same era which is where countless 9C1 Caprices ended up and is still running isn't ALL that shabby in my book... the same in a light duty truck as opposed to heavier unless subjected to abusive over-limit towing should probably be fine. Many light duty truck buyers treated them like cars afterall. By about 1992 I thought all the quirks of the 700R4 had been worked out in other cars shortly before the change to the electronic 4L60E version which is arguably the same trans - the later years of 700's are the best if you get one, the 4L60's should have all mechanical lifespan fixes already learned.

If youre not only looking at Chevies i'd wait for others to respond who probably know more but I thought those Ford ZF5 boxes were alot more common and hailed as million mile transmissions? The Dodges I just dont know about offhand other than the NV4500's in the 3/4 and 1tons being pricey to replace again.

You can certainly find replacement autos easier in the junkyard alot of the times, although it's a bit oversized for lighter work i'd almost think a 4L80 could probably be made to work (i'm not an expert on the swap but pretty sure they could be found in 3/4 tons not just 1 tons) which i'd think would be tough enough to last forever - swap once and not need to again. It would parasite more power with the weaker engines would be the only downside I could think of since its like the TH400 really sized for a big block or a turbodiesel more. It'd make a nice match to a more powerful LS even the 4.8 with 285hp or so if you ever swapped an engine later too. However the 4L80 also has some electronics to control shifting/not all hydraulic like the 4L60.

If you just need a beater esp a GM, an auto trans would probably be a good way to go based on the choices from the 90's - in addition you never know if a clutch is about to die in a stick shift (not that i'm aware of? unless people are aware of signs i'm not) whereas an auto usually passes the "if the fluid is pink and no stink" test it's good for at least a good while more.

Whats this about Caddy rear ends now? Just curious hadn't heard of that swap and was wondering what purpose it was for..

Last edited:
FWIW I tow 5000lbs with my 4.7 Dakota hooked up to a NV3500 5 speed. I do mountain passes in the Adirondacks (Keene Valley) in 3rd. Flatland in 4th. Never overdrive unless empty. Zero issues and I'm pretty sure it's still on the stock clutch and fluid from 2003.

There are tons of beater trucks around with this trans still in them. The only way you'll kill it is by using the wrong/no fluid, blowing out the clutch, or towing in 5th. It's only limitation is engine torque which I believe is limited at 3000lbs, and most manufacturer's reduce towing capacity by 1000lbs or so because of the clutch.

I'd take this trans over ANY auto from the early 2000's era, any day of the week, especially if towing anything.

Last edited:
Yeah in the S10/Colorado and such with the NV3500 i'm pretty sure towing up to 5000-6000lbs with the 200hp or so Vortec 4.3 was a figure I saw alot. For alot of guys that's considered light duty.
smile.gif
If I wanted a light duty pickup with a stick myself I wouldn't hesitate at a 3500 but that's just me... it's also hard to know if a previous owner hashed on or abused it, something inherently tougher has an extra safety curve.

For someone not even towing that much, if there's no power upgrades i'd have no qualms about getting one for myself that shifted nice if I wanted a stick.

Never a standard if you have to deal with bumper to bumper traffic. Unless of course you are a glutton for punishment. In that case get the stick.

4L80s are tough, I've had experience with a 95 burb 2500 350/4L80 that did tow occasionally, and the 4L80 in my Dad's 3500 Savana went 300000km hauling probably a 10000 pound loaded van and towing a dump trailer with heavy stuff in it. That van is still making money for a different owner, my Dad sold it to his plumber.

4L60 is the #1 reason GM trucks and SUVs that have them bite the dust. That harsh 1-2 upshift is legendary.

Originally Posted by Maxima97
Stick and turbo diesel.
I'm not sure that combo is even available in NA anymore, do Mopar and Ford still offer manual transmission trucks? Used values on those has to be sky high for clapped out models.

A manual in a truck has never bothered me, either for pulling boats out of water, backing up to trailers or even off-roading-- 4LO is an option if you really need to be gentle or creep slowly. But certainly this is a preference to each their own-- some people just don't like having to finesse a clutch pedal while doing an arduous task and I can't blame them.

Personally I prefer a manual on a truck simply because I've had auto transmissions fail, once leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere, but I've never had any issues with manuals. Sure the clutch can wear out, but you're usually given ample warning, and a clutch can be replaced for much cheaper than an automatic transmission. I can get 200k out of a clutch, many auto trans don't last that long.

Originally Posted by maxdustington

Originally Posted by Maxima97
Stick and turbo diesel.
I'm not sure that combo is even available in NA anymore, do Mopar and Ford still offer manual transmission trucks? Used values on those has to be sky high for clapped out models.

You can get a current RAM with a Cummins and manual transmission. Although the engine will be de-rated to 350 hp and 660 lb-ft, along with lower towing limits compared to the trucks with the 68rfe, or Aisin transmissions.

All my trucks have been under $1000 and they've all been stick shifts against my better wishes.

My plow truck is the worst offender, that's a lot to juggle going back and forth, raising the plow, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back