6k miles on H-6 Subaru 3.6R - time for synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I am approaching 6k miles on my new Subaru Outback 3.6R my thoughts turn to what to use on th4 OCI ; synthetic or conventional?

The owner's manual states either can be used - my main thought is whether the engine has had enough 'break-in' time to switch over.?

I'm going to keep it simple here - Pennzoil platinum or CYB is the choice; what say you educated oil gurus?

There is no "break in" time to switch over, lots of cars come with synthetic on the factory fill these days. Whenever you're ready is as good a time as any.

The 3.6 is a beast but fairly easy on oil, synthetic is fine but not "necessary". PP is a great choice if that's what you want to feed it. Either way follow factory recommendation for OCI until warranty is up.

Don't most new Subaru's spec 0w20? If so then good luck finding anything conventional. Don't worry about break in time before switching to synthetic. That's old school logic.

Use Rotella T6 or PP Euro (or Euro L)
smile.gif

I have a 2018 Outback Limited with the 3.6 and always use synthetic oil 5W30... 5W30 is required for this engine. I have it changed at the Subaru dealer every 6K .

As the Asian Audi with a Porsche engine in the front, no question. At least your available fake synthetic ( grp iii). I don't think id run group ii in anything except my worn out mower.

I bet it would run great on "real" synthetic but where do you get it? It likely wont meet the low HTHS ILSAC F.E. guidelines.

I wouldn't use a real synthetic until after long wear- in which is 15-20K miles.

The Genuine Subaru Indiana blended Idemitsu 5w30 is loaded up with moly again - if you wish
smile.gif

Either one should be fine to 6K. Chose your favorite, least expensive or the one that lets you sleep better at night.
smile.gif

Anytime is fine. New Toyota's come from the factory with 0w20 / 0w16 synthetic already in the crankcase. Besides most of the break-in is done in the first couple hundred miles anyway. Changing the oil frequently in the first few thousand miles is the best thing you can do for an engine IMO as it rinses all the break-in metals, sealants and assembly lubes from the engine. (Honda can also be done this way provided you use a high moly oil similar to the factory fill for these changes)

Last edited:
ARCO, plenty of UOAs on here from 3.6s that show no distress from the chains. Sure, it's busy under the front cover... but there hasn't been an epidemic of timing chain failures like there have been on GMs, and plenty of 3.0/3.3/3.6s on the far side of 150k without ever having issues.

forum...-used-oil-analysis-16-3-6-blackstone.pdf

Conventional

At the 6k recommended interval, I don't see any issues with conventional or synthetic... there's just no empirical data showing there is a concern here, but I appreciate the picture!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Tell me again this 3.6L wet timing system is "easy on the oil"
I say NOPE!
[Linked Image]

That's quite a picture!

Thank you everyone - I went with PP 5/30 at 6,011 miles. I'll keep 6k and all receipts. I appreciate the input and confirmations,!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Nice choice, Ape... and nice car! Bet it will serve you extremely well for a long time to come!

thanks - loving it so far. Interested to see how this winter goes with it.

Doesn't this Boxer, in spite of old design, have low tension piston rings ?
Viscosity is very important.
This calls for a thick 5W30 Synthetic IMV.

Edit: Hope PP 5W30 works well, Sir.

Ah, yes, a water-cooled Porsche engine.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Tell me again this 3.6L wet timing system is "easy on the oil"
I say NOPE!
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Hounds
Ah, yes, a water-cooled Porsche engine.

It would have caused quite the ruckus if the BRZ had been a mid-engined car with a 3.6 shoved in the heinie, redone with a lightweight rotating assembly and an 8k redline... maybe that would have generated the sales they had been hoping for...
smile.gif

I have a 2014 model 3.6 w/70k on Castrol Magnatec 5w30. Religious 5k OCI and it hums like a sewing machine.
I was told at a Subaru shop the H6 is now history. No new models after this year, the 6 is being replaced by a turbo four.
Yikes. Tell me this isn't true, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back