How stable is Stabil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found an unused bottle of red in the garage. Probably at least 5 years old. OK to use?

Is it still sealed?

Id likely use it, but YMMV. I think there is a 1-2 year shelf life on the label. But if sealed, I wouldnt be as concerned.

I'm still using some I got from target 5 years ago. My plow truck started right up after a summer, and it has lousy E10.

On the flip side, even new red sta-bil doesn't work for my vented OPE.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I'm still using some I got from target 5 years ago. My plow truck started right up after a summer, and it has lousy E10.

On the flip side, even new red sta-bil doesn't work for my vented OPE.

Which Stabil do you recommend? I have lousy E10 also. This is for OPE only.

I have E10 and no issues with OPE. Ive been running the blue stabil though in general.

No problem using it. I have used open ones older than yours w/o problems as long as the cap is tight.

Originally Posted by user52165
Which Stabil do you recommend? I have lousy E10 also. This is for OPE only.

I also use the blue Stabil Marine 360 for all of my 4-cycle OPE. It has a higher vapor pressure, meaning less moisture laden air is going to enter you fuel tank at night when temperatures drop.

I'm finishing a bottle that is about 8 years old. I add some to my OPE fuel can every time I fill it up. Next time I'll buy a much smaller bottle.

Maybe it's a bit less efficient, but it sure didn't cause any trouble. Sta-Bil states on their website however that the shelf life is 2 years.

I just bought a bottle. I was going to buy the small pint bottle, but it has no automatic measuring cup. The large size has the neat spout where you can pour 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1, and 2 ounces. Since I am only storing 1.24 gallons at a time, the 1/2 oz measuring cup on the bottle is really useful, so I ended up getting the larger size. $10 versus $16 for twice the amount. So that is the main advantage of the larger size. On the label, it says good for 2 years, but the manufacturers are always conservative about shelf like. It says petroleum distillates on the label so supposedly no VOCs to evaporate so I would think it will last a long time with the cap on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back