How much fuel do you keep in your tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it usually over half or under half a tank?

I usually run under a half and often hit E or have the fuel light come on.

I am almost always between one-half tank and full tank.

Back in the day when my family was short of money, we ran it down until it hit E before we scraped together some $ to add fuel. Those days are behind me now, I can afford to stop for a fill up once the needle hits one-half, or slightly below.

Filled...then run down to around 1/4 before refilling.

I loathe running to the fuel light, as it's that sort of thing that seems to tempt fate to have me actually test the range in a stressful situation.

I always refill the daily drivers at 1/4 tank. The M cars just get 20-25$ each time I hit that to keep new fuel in them since they don't get used too often.

I try to keep 1/2 tank or more. Reason being I can see the San Andreas fault from my front door. It's about 25 miles west of me. There is another unnamed fault thats about 1/2 mile east of me. They say it's capable of a 7.0.

I rarely let it go much below half unless I'm on an extended trip or if Speedway is offering bonus points on fillups of 10 gallons or more.

my dad always drilled it onto my head when i was a young driver, to always fill up at a half tank, esp in the winter. " that way you'll never run out, just in case you get stranded some where"
he was a scout, and took the "be prepared" to heart.
to this day, he keeps at least a month's supply of food on hand. and at least a 3 day supply of water, in case the power goes out, and we can't pump from the well.

that being said, on a summer road trip I'll run until the light comes on. dad fills at a 1/4 on the same trip.

Last edited:
I fill her up. And when the low fuel light hits I fill her up again. The only time I don't wait is when I know I'll be somewhere that I might not find gas readily.

1/4 is about as low as I go. I see no advantage of going till the light comes on.Stopping at the gas station more often is easier than running out of gas or damaging the fuel pump. In the winter I fill up closer to the 1/2 mark.

1/4 tank is my limit before I become worried. Never know when traffic will get bad on the highway or a storm will mess things up.

There was a ice storm many years ago in NC and people were running out of gas on the highway and had to abandon their cars. I am sure they thought they had plenty but the backups/jams were so bad they ran out of luck that day. Many cars were towed and/or damaged due to letting their tank get to low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back