Engine Flush at 50k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 Ram 2500 5.7 Gas nearing 50k miles. I want to do a flush to keep the engine as clean as possible before sludge/varnish forms. I'm going to drain the old oil and add 6 quarts of fresh cheap conventional with a quart of Gunk motor flush. Idle 15-20 min, drain and put in PP 0W-20 and napa gold. Any problems with this? I've heard that flushes are best for keeping clean engines clean.

If you changed your oil as per the OLM or earlier with a quality oil that meets the MS-6395 spec there is no need for a flush.

If you want to do anything use a synthetic. I wouldn't use a flush and certainly not one that is solvent based. I think the manual even calls this out if I remember correctly.

Edit: From your owners manual....

flush.png

Engine Oil Ram.png

Last edited:
If it is clean, what are you cleaning? Why is your engine needing cleaning at 50k, especially with synthetic oils used? Just say no to the marketing department.

Originally Posted by Dyusik
Why is your engine needing cleaning at 50k, especially with synthetic oils used?

Good point.

If you've kept up on oil changes, there's nothing to clean.

If your engine is sludged up at 50k such that you now need regular cleanings, I think you need to reevaluate your maintenance habits.

Originally Posted by ZraHamilton
I've heard that flushes are best for keeping clean engines clean.

Nah, using a quality oil changed out at a reasonable interval is what's best for keeping clean engines clean.

I've been using valvoline synthetic or dealership syn-blend for 7-8k miles based on OLM. Just thinking about doing a flush every 50k miles to keep the engine super clean.
Could the flush damage the seals? I was going to use new conventional oil with the flush to give it better lubricity vs used oil during the cleaning. And it holds 7 quarts so the chemical would only be at 14% concentration in the engine.

Have you seen something that makes you think you need a flush? Did you buy this truck new?

You do not want to flush your engine.
Modern motor oils changed on time will keep your engine plenty clean, in fact I could be wrong but dont think I am, with your flush you will flush away any anti-wear compounds as well.

I think you are making a big mistake for someone who wants to do what is best for the engine.

And it holds 7 quarts so the chemical would only be at 14% concentration in the engine.
If you did that flush, I would only do up to 8% to be safe. My estimation. And I don't think it can get out hard carbon, only some softer gunk.
Or, you could get serious and spend $80 bucks every 50k or 75k and run Valvoline Premium Blue Restore (don't forget the "Restore" word in there to avoid confusion with their Prem Blue line).
There have been threads about it in bitog, truckers use it to clean up the ring area. Attacks carbon like you want. Its a little thick, so its good for a full normal OCI in the summer, not winter.... Available at Ryderfleet or cummins dealers, order internet or call them is about the only way to get it.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
You do not want to flush your engine.
Modern motor oils changed on time will keep your engine plenty clean, in fact I could be wrong but dont think I am, with your flush you will flush away any anti-wear compounds as well.

I think you are making a big mistake for someone who wants to do what is best for the engine.

I wouldnt spend my hard earned cash on any engine flushes. Use quality SN+ approved oil and a good filter. Question answered properly

From your description, I doubt the engine needs cleaning. Just use a quality synthetic and don't sweat it. Valvoline Restore is a premium product. It's your rig. Do as you please.

Thank you for the responses. I probably won't do the flush. Theoretically, though, what damage could the flush do besides possibly removing bonded ZDDP? Or is that enough reason to not do it?

Sorry, but you "heard" wrong.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Sorry, but you "heard" wrong.

As in a flush is best used to prevent sludge before it forms, because a flush could create more problems if used on an older, sludged engine.

When oils didn't have very good additives there was a fear of putting a good HDX oil with detergents in.

If the oil cleaned the gunk, it could come off in quarter inch size pieces perfect for plugging oil drainback areas.

Stick with your good Valvoline syn, and never add anything to a makers oil EVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back