Florida dealer purchase -- invoice questions for NY resident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening, hoping some of you who might be up on Florida vehicle purchasing can help a NY resident out. Dad bought the 2016 Silverado W/T in Florida. I've posted the invoice that he's been sent. It doesn't make sense to us.

To start, I'll say that I am flying down and driving this truck back on a temporary Florida tag. We are registering/titling it in New York and plan to pay tax when up here.

[Linked Image]

1) Under optional vehicles/services, he's being charged $399. Salesman said that it is a Florida law that covers a vehicle if it is stolen. Is this a thing?

2) $47.95 for EFile, I assume that is Florida DMV filing?

3) Taxes... wouldn't I only pay NY tax when registering it? Or for any Florida vehicle purchase do you have to pay tax? I see that NY has a reciprocity for full tax rate (according to NY DMV site).

4) $400 for registration and titling. Since we just want a temp tag from Florida and are registering and titling in NY for NYS, this also seems like a bogus charge.

$699 dealer fees, steep, but makes sense -- under this I would also expect to cover our temporary tag. Can a Florida dealer register a vehicle for NY? Because that has been mentioned by the salesman to Dad and I just don't see how that is possible.

Any insight is appreciated. I can understand the dealer fee and or taxes, but looking at this -- I am thinking this invoice is $846.95 too high (or $1951.46 if including taxes). I will call the salesman/dealer tomorrow and request a new invoice with what should/shouldn't be on the paperwork prior to Dad paying.

You'll pay the worse sales tax.

It'll be Florida first, but if NY charges more they'll get the balance.

NY will give you credit for tax paid to other jurisdictions.

The $399 is a scam. You could fight it but I guess you already bought it.
frown.gif
If there isn't a separate piece of paper saying where that money went, it's gone.

You could try and fink out of the $400 for reg & title since you'll be doing this yourself in another state.

If it's still a good deal, it's still a good deal even if the invoice looks shady.

First I would call or visit the ny dmv and ask them what they want regarding tax and title and plates for an out of state purchase, because that will not change. From there the price you pay the dealer for the vehicle, title and temp tag is negotiable.

Sometimes it's worth the time to read up on your state dmv website because I've run into instances where the people at the dmv counter were wrong.

I did this twice last year when buying in IL and titling in KY. Call the NY DMV first (if you have not paid already!) and ensure that you have all of the required forms needed to transfer FL taxes to NY. The dealer will collect NY taxes (based on your father's zip code) and mail NY DMV a check. You have to be careful however, many reports online of people getting hosed by shady dealers (both new and used).

My brother didnt pay any sales tax when he bought his car from out of state, even though he had his car delivered but it shouldnt make any difference. Just registered himself at the dmv. Florida is notorious for BS dealer fees, i guess they like to prey on the old and retired and since their no limits compared to other states that have fee caps they can charge whatever and say its mandatory. Doesnt new york have a doc fee of 75?

Thanks all for the info.

Dad didn't pay yet -- I am going to call this dealer today and basically require a new invoice minus the $400 for reg/title and $399 for optional accessories/services. After-all, it does say "optional".

The tax is whatever, NY should credit it. Although, I've never seen my county requiring 0.35% tax.

Don't think you can get a temporary tag if the car is not titled, registered, and insured. I would definitely let the dealer register and title the truck. Less likely to run into snags. Only other options is to tow it, or have it delivered which is probably going to cost more than the $400.

So is it not an uncommon thing for an out-of-state dealer register/title a vehicle for another state?

If you can avoid it just register yourself and save some money, it more of a convenience thing since your out of state, if you lived in florida then there would be no way to avoid it.

Redhat, that invoice looks like a MESS to me. I have a BIL who lives in the Louisville KY area. Because he usually want's me with him for the process, he buys his vehicles when he comes home for visits (Buffalo NY area). He doesn't pay any sales tax until he gets home to register the vehicle. He is issued a temporary tag to get back to KY with. I've done this with him with various make/models- all bought brand-new for years. Those add-ons and fees are all shams like said. I would say thanks but no thanks.

Last edited:
Florida has special arrangements for selling cars to out of state purchasers. Don't know about taxes between NY and FL. but they can provide tags for you to get it home. Then you pay your local/state taxes upon registration.

Looks like they're trying to scam you by adding on a bunch of bogus fees on top of the agreed upon purchase price. Assuming the purchase agreement hasn't been signed yet, which you shouldn't do until you personally test drive and inspect the vehicle, I'd get your $1000 back and go elsewhere.

I just purchased a truck from a used car lot about a month ago, and the only thing I paid on top of the purchase price and tax/title/license was a small administration fee.

$1100 in fees does seem high for a used vehicle.

Did you test drive the truck ?

Lots of used dealers on 441 (state road 7) buy damaged vehicles from auction and fix them up for retail sale. I'm not saying your truck was wrecked.... just proceed with caution.

I used to work in that area if you needed a 2nd set of eyes to look.

I lived in NY and bought several cars from florida.

I would always get it registered in NY and fly down with a permanent tag and drive it away myself.

The one time I had to get a florida temp tag, the guy charged me 300 dollars, and I realized I could have got it myself for a fraction of the cost.

Yes something looks way off on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back