MC FL820S CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is not this the frequent offender in the MC line for tears at last update of the spreadsheet?

I seem to recall the twist on one of my cut open filters, probably one of the FL500S, it did not seem to bother the filter but isn't pretty of course. I don't like the wide pleat and all the excess glue, the whole thing looks a bit sloppy.

That said, as long as the media is strong enough not to tear in use all it really hurts is the appearance. Is the media strong enough not to tear is the $64,000 question isn't it...?

Thanks for the C&P as always Adam.

I have pretty much stopped using the FL820s filters. Almost all the ones I have seen look of poor quality. There are better filters for better prices. Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted by advocate
And yet you can show this abortion of a filter to loyal motorcraft guys and they will still use it... sad, cause they used to be decent filters but that was many many years ago.

Right on! Why? Because they are cheap and easy to obtain. Are they good? Nope!

Originally Posted by Dallas69
I don't care what a filter looks like.
I only care if it does the job.
I have used MC filters for 50 yrs and guess what?Never a failure!
Its an oil filter not the Mona Lisa.

I figure I have put some 800,000 miles on engines that have used MC filters and all has been well. Like all things man made, nothing is perfect.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Is not this the frequent offender in the MC line for tears at last update of the spreadsheet?

I seem to recall the twist on one of my cut open filters, probably one of the FL500S, it did not seem to bother the filter but isn't pretty of course. I don't like the wide pleat and all the excess glue, the whole thing looks a bit sloppy.

That said, as long as the media is strong enough not to tear in use all it really hurts is the appearance. Is the media strong enough not to tear is the $64,000 question isn't it...?

Thanks for the C&P as always Adam.

Robert, thanks
smile.gif

I recall WellOiled cutting one that tore. Even my dad that got a late 90's mountaineer took off a MC FL820S that had 2k on it with QSGB 5W30 and it had 2 tears. He doesnt have a camera or smart phone. He put a fat Baldwin that crosses to 820S back on.

He says " screw me once, never, ever again!:

It's not doing it's job if it tears.... And there have been a good number of MC filters that have that issue seen in the last 4-5 years. There's a problem with MC and Purolator filters. Especially certain sizes that are longer.

Originally Posted by bbhero

It's not doing it's job if it tears.... And there have been a good number of MC filters that have that issue seen in the last 4-5 years. There's a problem with MC and Purolator filters. Especially certain sizes that are longer.

That may be, but the MC FL2017B, and the C FL910S have been flawless for me.

Ahh it was the case... And has been documented on here numerous times. . Only Ray Charles or Helen Keller could not see the obvious issues with certain MC filters... again... Certain ones. Typically longer ones... Aka like the 14610 equivalent length and size.

Small or short ones have been good. Like a size like the 14612...

I am not against running the 400 MC on my lady's Camry.. it has done well overall in service. And that is part of a oil change deal at AZ. The new one that 53 cut open here looked quite good I thought.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
Strange, I think it looks fine.

I would agree that it looks fine.

some people are biased i suppose.

I've checked several threads of new cut open filters and they all looked quite the same, even some with a tad of a twist but others were praised, etc. whatever.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Ahh it was the case... And has been documented on here numerous times. . Only Ray Charles or Helen Keller could not see the obvious issues with certain MC filters... again... Certain ones. Typically longer ones... Aka like the 14610 equivalent length and size.

Small or short ones have been good. Like a size like the 14612...

I am not against running the 400 MC on my lady's Camry.. it has done well overall in service. And that is part of a oil change deal at AZ. The new one that 53 cut open here looked quite good I thought.

Yeah, i guess what they say "ignorance is bliss" is true captain

I've checked several threads of new cut open filters and they all looked quite the same, even some with a tad of a twist but others were praised, etc. whatever.

I guess there's a need for some to create an issue when there isn't one.

The point is MC quality control is shady at best. End of discussion and if "some folks" cant see this then i cant help them

I'm going to put my Kevlar suit on here. With the stories of Ford going through some trouble here, I would guess that cost cutting is being pushed wherever they can.

Ford's credit rating is currently just one notch above junk.

The FL820(s, or no s) is definitely the black sheep in the MC filter lineup, and has repeatedly shown itself to be an inferior offering compared to the FL400s and FL910s. I would never even think of trying to compare it to those two filters, as they are consistenly good filters.

The problem, it seems, is that the FL820 filter is substantially larger in diameter, but they don't up the amount of filter media used, nor do they seem to provide adequate additional support for it. If they used even 25% more media, I think we'd see a marked reduction in quality problems with it.

I guess there's a need for some to create an issue when there isn't one.

agreed.

In those 50 years, have you cut one open?

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
The point is MC quality control is shady at best. End of discussion and if "some folks" cant see this then i cant help them

Just look at the pleat counts in different examples and from different years. The FL1A cheapening is pretty obvious. It's ironic how that was once the premium filter, above the specified CFL-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back