Change gear and final drive oil early for winter too, or ?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
6200 mile service interval on my Moto Guzzi 1200. It's an air cooled v-twin with oil cooled heads, dry clutch, and shaft drive. I'm @ 4500 miles now and will change engine oil early before winter sets in even though I take it out on the occasional clear winter day if the temps are above 40F and roads are clean. However, I'm wondering if I really need to change the gearbox and final drive oils before the normal interval since they're not subject to combustion by-products. Garage is semi temp controlled, the bike doesn't get cold soaked during down time.

What blupupher said. As long as you're geared up for a work-on-the-bike session to change the motor oil it won't take much more to go ahead and change everything. Plus, when spring rolls around you'll be all set to ride.

I wouldn't even change your engine oil early. When it's 90% used up it's still protecting your engine internals and you're going to screw it up anyway by running with more choke on, misfires due to slightly old fuel, etc during your mid-winter runs.

"They" say oil gets acidic but it just loses some of its buffering, until it's really overdue.

Early changes early, later changes later. Break leave a big mess to clean up.

Originally Posted by blupupher
final drive tends to be dirty on initial drain, so I personally would do that for sure.

Not the initial drain though. That happened @ 1000 miles during First Service.

All three oils (engine, trans, final drive) were changed @ 1000 miles, so right now with 4500 on the odometer there's approx 3500 miles on each oil. Trans is GL5 85W90, final drive is GL4 80W90 per factory recommendation in the manual. Engine oil 10W60 syn. Dry clutch so engine oil is engine only, not shared.

Same setup as a rwd manual transmission car, except the final drive is not a hypoid gear since it's not a differential.

Ahh, did not know the final drive had an initial change.
In that case, I would not do it this time.

I plan on doing mine every 10,000 miles (did it when I got the bike with 7,200 miles, was very dirty, did another @ 10,000 miles, looked pretty good).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back