Learned Some Realtor Slang The Other Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
An "M&M house" is when the sellers have painted each room a different color.
lol.gif

Fortunately my place is not one of them. Same color, warm, throughout. Always felt it rather boring but apparently it's a good thing for the market . . .

The thinking is a boring neutral color allows people to imagine their own colors and belongings in the house. In this market you could have rooms painted black and lime green and the house would sell.

I have an "open floor plan" and this sucks. You have to come up with an imaginary line to divide it. Yeah there's moulding etc but it still looks funny.

When we bought the house it had tongue n groove walls with joint compound in the cracks trying to make it look like plaster n lathe, with salmon paint and can lights in the ceiling. Each can light (out of 6-8 in the room) had its own wall switch and no two were at the same height.

Realtor must have thought they found a real sucker when I showed up, LOL.

One thing which always caught my eye was such "M&M" coloring in urban settings....when a building's side was torn down as part of demolition.

You'd see the colors 4 across and 6 stories up. Always pastels.

Anyone here ever paint a dwelling where someone had fashioned a dark room? Pure black REQUIRES primer. Multiple coats alone does not work.

One room I painted was used to paint scenery and such. That created a unique textured effect.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
The thinking is a boring neutral color allows people to imagine their own colors and belongings in the house. In this market you could have rooms painted black and lime green and the house would sell.

Yep.

But I perfer to buy a house with only 1 interior color.... not 7.

Added info for thee amateur interior decorator regarding use of a single color.

Certain popular colors have evolved over the years. These colors' names are used by many paint companies.

Atrium White is as plain white as you can practically find. Many call it "blinding".

Navaho White is a true universal color which goes with everything. Painting an entire house's interior and want to look like a champ? Go Navaho White walls and ceiling.

Interesting slang. I guess we have an M&M house. IMO its all how you select colors. Stuff that clashes too much or is too bold looks crazy. But if you have color schemes in each room and a subtle wall color, it can look great. When we look on zillow, the better homes have nice bright rooms with non-obnoxious color schemes.

Up through the 1980s, wallpaper added color and contrast to rooms. That's all but dead.

Most people are dolts and unable/unwilling to even paint a room. Add the monstrosity mcmansions with giant vaulted ceilings to look "upscale", and its not even a DIY job anymore regardless.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Most people are dolts and unable/unwilling to even paint a room. Add the monstrosity mcmansions with giant vaulted ceilings to look "upscale", and its not even a DIY job anymore regardless.
I'm working on a job where the homeowners were too cheap to put skylights in those vaulted ceilings. That's pretty much what they are for IMO.

Painting requires focus, good hands and NO mistakes. I'll wrench on anything I think I won't break, but I hate painting. I think I would still paint my own house though.

My mother's house had that. One bedroom was a fairly-jarring lime green. The other was an even more jarring bubblegum pink. Including walls, ceiling, carpet, and ceiling fan. The master bedroom was maroon...I didn't think it looked bad, but she doesn't like maroon. The living room was tangerine...with tiki torch floor lamps...and a neon palm tree.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Only time I have seen a dark color was in a kid's room definitely never seen one where every room is a different color

how about Snow White and the 7 gents?

on the walls(each a different color) and ceiling (another color)

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by AZjeff

Yep.

But I perfer to buy a house with only 1 interior color.... not 7.

some scrubbing and soap
and
Paint
or
Primer and Paint

That simple

Originally Posted by Kira
Added info for thee amateur interior decorator regarding use of a single color.

Certain popular colors have evolved over the years. These colors' names are used by many paint companies.

Atrium White is as plain white as you can practically find. Many call it "blinding".

Navaho White is a true universal color which goes with everything. Painting an entire house's interior and want to look like a champ? Go Navaho White walls and ceiling.

(It resemble some Antique White nuances)
Eggshell finish please...
Let some light into the house

Originally Posted by maxdustington

Painting requires focus, good hands and NO mistakes. I'll wrench on anything I think I won't break, but I hate painting. I think I would still paint my own house though.

Max,

If I can paint (kind off) than you can for sure.
If it's your own home, nobody will see you NOT freehand a wall-to-ceiling line perfectly....

Originally Posted by pandus13

Max,

If it's your own home, nobody will see you NOT freehand a wall-to-ceiling line perfectly....
I would have to look at it everyday. I'm sure with research and painting a few rooms I would get the hang of it. My friend has painting experience so I'm sure he would help me out, too. Everyone in construction seems to hate painting except for painters, and I have seen some painters make serious dough. When I worked at the school board, I was told some of the older painters were making $60 an hour! They were the only trade I saw who were 100% professional and actually good at wrenching during my public sector days.

Any potential home-buyer that walks away from a house that needs walls painted, carpets replaced, etc is foolish (or extremely lazy). That said, I'd still use it for negotiating the price down !

Originally Posted by pandus13

Max,

I would have to look at it everyday. I'm sure with research and painting a few rooms I would get the hang of it. My friend has painting experience so I'm sure he would help me out, too. Everyone in construction seems to hate painting except for painters, and I have seen some painters make serious dough. When I worked at the school board, I was told some of the older painters were making $60 an hour! They were the only trade I saw who were 100% professional and actually good at wrenching during my public sector days.

The key is good paint and a good brush. Hard to do a good freehand if the paint runs or the brush doesn't hold the paint. I like Purdy brushes and good paint. Most people don't notice the minor details like the paint not being a straight line. You can use tape to do perfect lines but it takes a lot longer to set up the tape and take it down. If you go see enough houses and stare at the walls, you'll notice that the imperfections are pretty common, but you won't notice it at a glance. You'd probably see the same even in commercial establishments.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Any potential home-buyer that walks away from a house that needs walls painted, carpets replaced, etc is foolish (or extremely lazy). That said, I'd still use it for negotiating the price down !

Or does not have the time, money, or both to do it. It took over a week to get my mother's new house repainted and one room carpeted, and it was not cheap. Doing it themselves simply wasn't an option.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I have an "open floor plan" and this sucks. You have to come up with an imaginary line to divide it. Yeah there's moulding etc but it still looks funny.

Open floor plan is what 90% (or more) buyers want these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back