Toyota 0w-20, 12,029 km, 2010 RAV4, 2.5 L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've attached two analyses: from earlier this month; and from several years ago (for reference).

The car has had exclusively Toyota 0w-20 from the forth oil change. All oil filters and air filters have been Toyota.

I changed the oil at 8,000 km intervals per the owner's manual until the warranty ran out at 160,000 km. I then extended the OCI to 10,000 km. The logic was that the same engine installed in a Camry was permitted to double the OCI to 16,000 km provided you use Toyota 0w-20 oil. For the last OCI I decided to extend it to 12,000 km and get an oil analysis which is attached.

It is apparent that the oil formulation has changed significantly from 2011 to today. Zinc, calcium and boron are significantly different.

I was interested to see how much TBN was affected by the longer OCI but the change in formulation makes it difficult to compare. From a TBN perspective the oil can easily be used for a longer OCI.

I have two primary concerns:
1. Silicon was identified as being high in both analyses. Virgin samples of Toyota 0w-20 show silicon to be 4-15 ppm so that is part of the issue. I've checked the full intake system on the car and sprayed every section with starter fluid and have confirmed no leaks.
2. Insolubles and oxidation have gone up. I don't how big an issue this is.
I have a lesser concern regarding iron. It seems rather high compared to analyses for other Toyotas. If there was a true leak in the intake system then a higher iron concentration would be expected. The current iron concentration is roughly half (per km) of the concentration with the previous oil formulation.

In both analyses the comment were:
- Condition: Abnormal
- Remarks: High Silicon (Si). Dirt in lube oil.
- Recommendation: Change out air filter. Change out lube oil and lube oil filter.

I don't have much reason to change from Toyota 0w-20 unless the current analysis looks bad (it doesn't look bad to me). Toyota 0w-20 is still the lowest cost 0w-20 I can get. Current everyday price is just over $6/L. Synthetic oil on special is typically around $7/L.

Comments are welcome.

Ian

Oil Analysis Toyota RAV4 2018.jpg

Oil Analysis Toyota RAV4 2011.jpg

what environment do you run in. Dusty/sandy roads and construction areas making lots of dust? wet rainy area?

What does the inside of the engine look like. It is very dusty after a good cleaning or just a bit dusty. I would not think Si comes from an engine component. Has anyone replaced the oil pan gasket with a silicon goop?

Is your dipstick staying in place and sealing.

hmmm......

Double check that filter fit and air system seal. That Si has to be coming in from outside the engine.

Iron is pretty low, lower than the previous analysis. The TBN is good. Si isn't out of control high but is similar to the Si my 4Runner had with poor wear (compared to other analysis prior) when I had a bad vacuum booster for the brakes.

What has me baffled is the way way high insolubles.

In most cases I would think the Si is the sealants that Asian manufactures use that leeched into the oil for a long time. I had this issue in my Santa Fe and it never resolved even when I changed the air-box setup. At about 300,000km is when it finally started tapering down.

In your case because the insolubles are where they are along with the Si you are most likely taking in unfiltered air somewhere into the engine.

Outstanding report by the way.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I don't believe this lab. They say P (phosphorus) is 1100 or 1200, which it can't be. It is actually limited by SN rules to 800, and this Toyota oil is around 700 ppm normally.
Iron is way high for this Toyota engine type, although, I'm not trusting this lab. BTW, a silicon reading of 25 ppm is not too high, as typical is around 15 ppm, but normal variations take it from 5 to 30 without problem.

Other than P being too high for an SN as pointed out earlier, hence UOA's accuracy, generally the Si and Fe trend is fine with good metal wear rates.
Yes I doubt there is air filter system leaks.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
I don't believe this lab. They say P (phosphorus) is 1100 or 1200, which it can't be. It is actually limited by SN rules to 800, and this Toyota oil is around 700 ppm normally.
Iron is way high for this Toyota engine type, although, I'm not trusting this lab. BTW, a silicon reading of 25 ppm is not too high, as typical is around 15 ppm, but normal variations take it from 5 to 30 without problem.

I agree those readings look a little off for TGMO. I would use another analyzer going forward but no reason to change from Toyota TGMO unless you find something cheaper that works just as well. I have a Napa near me that gives out a big discount on their 0w20 full synthetic that I have switched to because my oil changes have been under $10 in our Prius the last year. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back