how much would you pay for vehicle with bad head gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/2002-chevy-suburban/6713585409.html

they sent me pics of interior its a bit dirty but otherwise in good condition and apparently air conditioning and everything else works perfectly.

i think they are asking too much. what do y'all think?

ps: if i buy it and the bars leak head gasket fix doesnt work do you think a reasonable diyer could change the head gasket on this truck? i think it should be easy on a 5.3 right since there are no timing chains to mess with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dishdude
263k miles and a picture from across the street? It's scrap.

i'm having a [censored] of a time finding a clean condition vehicle for under $2k that isn't beat to heck inside and out. i understand that if i replace the head gasket probably in 6 months the tranny will go out given the way i drive and i've already killed four 4l60e transmissions.

Bad head gaskets often turn out to be cracked heads and/or warped heads.

If you want to buy this thing, have the seller fix it first.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by dishdude
263k miles and a picture from across the street? It's scrap.

i'm having a [censored] of a time finding a clean condition vehicle for under $2k that isn't beat to heck inside and out. i understand that if i replace the head gasket probably in 6 months the tranny will go out given the way i drive and i've already killed four 4l60e transmissions.

Clean vehicles cost a lot more than $2k, that Suburban probably needs an engine and you'll soon kill a 5th 4L60E.

Who kills 4 4L60Es? I've had at least a 3 dozen in my fleet throughout the years and the only one we lost had over 300k on it. I've also owned a few and never lost one.

LSx engines don't just blow a head gasket for no reason......There are underlying issues that caused the engine to overheat to the point it compromised the head gaskets!

I wouldn't even attempt to save that engine after who knows how many times it's been severely overheated. Don't forget the 4L60E was also overheated!!

Last edited:
apparently story is the radiator went out and inevitably they overheated it and now the head gasket is bad

Maybe show up with $600 cash in hand. Then do an engine swap. You have to assume the worst. Probably needs heads too and at that mileage just swap engines and even tranny. If its solid enough to have to account that you will need wheel bearings brakes, tires, radiator tranny and engine. $1300 too much. You can speed a good bit on a new water pump and hoses, belts getting the a/c to work. You have to buy it cheap. No one else will probably want to do that work.

Just doing the h/g on that would be a bad idea, think about the mileage on the motor, swap is the way to go.

Last edited:
If you want to DIY, you can lap the heads yourself on a piece of glass if they're warped and swap the HG. You will be out the cost of the gaskets if it doesn't work.

If the A/C actually works seems to be worth a gamble, you can always swap in a junkyard mill. If it has stop leak in it already I would pass, I would not want that in my heater core. It really depends how badly it was overheated, if it got hot enough to pop the HG then there could be damage to the heads. You should bring a coolant tester with you to check if there is exhaust in the coolant.

I would want to take it for a quick spin to see what kind of condition the trans and suspension are in. If the trans seems OK and the fluid looks good and does not smell burnt I think it would be hard to pass up. I get that the HG is gone but going through the gears a few blocks from a cold start should be OK. They're going to need to start it to demonstrate the AC anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
If you want to DIY, you can lap the heads yourself on a piece of glass if it's warped and swap the HG. You will be out the cost of the gaskets if it doesn't work.
If the A/C actually works seems to be worth a gamble, you can always swap in a junkyard mill. If it has stop leak in it already I would pass, I would not want that in my heater core. It really depends how badly it was overheated, if it got hot enough to pop the HG then there could be damage to the heads. You should bring a coolant tester with you to check if there is exhaust in the coolant.

I would want to take it for a quick spin to see what kind of condition the trans and suspension are in. If the trans seems ok and the fluid looks good and does not smell burnt I think it would be hard to pass up.

how much should i offer? i'm thinking $700 if everything else is ok with it. yes the ac works

Last edited:
apparently story is the radiator went out and inevitably they overheated it and now the head gasket is bad

If it's spewing coolant into the exhaust on both banks.......Both Catalysts & all 4 oxygen sensors have been poisoned! That's expensive in California.

As much as I like GMT800 trucks & SUV's.......It's worth scrap value at best! You still don't know what shape the brakes, suspension, & differential are in.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
If you want to DIY, you can lap the heads yourself on a piece of glass if it's warped and swap the HG. You will be out the cost of the gaskets if it doesn't work.

I would want to take it for a quick spin to see what kind of condition the trans and suspension are in. If the trans seems ok and the fluid looks good and does not smell burnt I think it would be hard to pass up.

how much should i offer? i'm thinking $700 if everything else is ok with it. yes the ac works
I'm not sure man, I may as well live on a different planet when it comes to evaluating cars. $700 sounds good, if they are willing to price it for $1300 they have moved on and want it gone. You could probably recoup a few hundred easily if the trans is functional.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I wouldn't even BUY a car with a bad head gasket. It's only worth scrap value.

I took a chance years ago. Bought a Pontiac Bonneville Brougham for a few hundred dollars. Loved that car for 2 weeks until the white smoke spewed out the tailpipe. Still miss it.

I wouldn't pay much more than scrap value for it. Cost me $150 to take a chance on the Bonneville.

I would worry about the trans, a 4l60 is about at its load limit in a Suburban even if it isn't towing anything. Plus, a head gasket blown means at least surfacing the head, maybe a replacement if its cracked. For example, I bought a 97 suburban, 454 4l80 159k miles for $750. Broke a valve spring, valve dropped, bent. Guy put a new spring on but of course that didn't fix it. It was a real nice one, good paint and all. I sold the trans for $600, wheels and tires $300, and lots of other parts, 14 bolt with locker and 410 gears, made $$ and kept the 454 for a spare for my truck. Sold the trans to a 1500 suburban owner who had paid for 2 rebulids on 4l60s and was sick of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back