15w40 dino vs 5w40 syn for w/c garden tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which do you like best. I have a kawasaki 20hp water cooled and I've gone back & forth on this a lot. For hot, hard, lengthy mowing sessions, which do you like best?

I run Mobil 1 0W-40 in my Dad's water cooled 26hp Kawasaki. In general, they are not a fussy engine as long as you run a decent oil and change it at a reasonable interval.

Shell Rotella T 15w40. - 2004 yr. Scag Tiger Cub Mower, 48 in, kawasaki 19 hp air cooled., 1200 hrs...no leaks, no oil burning, runs like new.. governor re-set from rated 3600 rpm to 3400 rpm, oil changed annually ( approx.90 hrs ).. valves re-set and Hydrostatic drive oil changed at 800 hrs..

From past personal experience on a variety of family farm owned gas and diesel engines, with accumulated hours, DO NOT switch from dyno oil to synthetic oil., you will have leaks, seeps, drips, . Trust me..it happened.. it's not worth it... I give this mower no slack... cutting road sides, RR right of ways, tall grass, yards, etc. running wide open throttle at full load, for hours on a hot summer 90 deg. day. The secret to me is, preventive maintenance, and clean oil....

15W-40 Dino is great for engines with big sumps, I run it in my truck with a 6 gallon sump.
Small sumps, 5W-40 or 0W-40 synthetic...
30% of all wear happens at startup, and I change the oil once, every 200 hours verses 4 times, 50 hours, for Dino oil...

Hang a Fram 3600 instead of the 8170, 8 more ounces oil, twice the filtering area...

Originally Posted by mattwithcats

Hang a Fram 3600 instead of the 8170, 8 more ounces oil, twice the filtering area...

I don't think it's a good idea. It takes a lot, lot longer to fill that filter when your oil pump barely puts out 1/2 gallon per minute.

and BECAUSE the oil pump is so tiny, it doesn't need a lot of filter area. The flow just isn't there for it.

I'd go with the 5W-40 synthetic. There really is no reason for higher viscosity on a water cooled engine.

In fact, I use M1, 5W-40 TDT in my 18HP air cooled Kawasaki V-Twin powered JD garden tractor with great results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back