2013 Ford F150 3.5 EB, 5,283 mi Motorcraft Blend 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see an amazing report from an EB getting up on the miles. Plus with the new MC oil. Your wear is much less than any of the six samples I've posted here.

You should be fine with 7500 miles OCI despite 'severe' viscosity shearing and fuel dilution as brought up by OFM.
With a (OFM suggested higher Hths) at say, Hths 3.5 (Euro spec) oil of equivalent MC additice package, I've no qualms shooting for 10,000 mile OCI in this application.

Originally Posted by zeng
... despite 'severe' viscosity shearing and fuel dilution

Not to be an a$$ about it but how do you know it severely sheared? It's still in grade. Since the search engine here limits the search to 5 prior years, I don't see a VOA of MC 5w30 that would give the Viscosity at that time. Unless there is a VOA available, shear amount cannot be characterized.

And I still don't buy the fuel dilution as being an issue here unless the lab is incorrect in their reading. The wear numbers just don't show that to be an issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by audi_guy
Not to be an a$$ about it but how do you know it severely sheared? It's still in grade. Since the search engine here limits the search to 5 prior years, I don't see a VOA of MC 5w30 that would give the Viscosity at that time. Unless there is a VOA available, shear amount cannot be characterized.
And I still don't buy the fuel dilution as being an issue here unless the lab is incorrect in their reading. The wear numbers just don't show that to be an issue.

Not still in grade; it became a 5w20 at 8.7 cSt. I wouldn't say it is severe, just some viscosity loss due to shearing and fuel dilution together. Oxidation pushes visc up, so its a little worse than it may appear at first.
That was not many miles, meaning visc loss is concerning, just not a big problem if you change the oil in 5k miles all the time, or simply put in a thicker HTHS oil to start with and go the full 7500 miles......
We know what new MC 5w30 is: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica...a%20Sheet%205W30%20Synthetic%20Blend.pdf and its kv100=10.8, typical for a 30 weight.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by audi_guy

Not still in grade; it became a 5w20 at 8.7 cSt. I wouldn't say it is severe, just some viscosity loss due to shearing and fuel dilution together. Oxidation pushes visc up, so its a little worse than it may appear at first.
That was not many miles, meaning visc loss is concerning, just not a big problem if you change the oil in 5k miles all the time, or simply put in a thicker HTHS oil to start with and go the full 7500 miles......
We know what new MC 5w30 is: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica...a%20Sheet%205W30%20Synthetic%20Blend.pdf and its kv100=10.8, typical for a 30 weight.

Sorry Tiger but you are causing alarm over nothing. Ford beat the snot out of this design with nothing but off of the shelf 5W30 motorcraft. There is nothing to be gained by increasing viscosity other than a feeling to control an varible.

true, the only reason i plan on moving to a 40 is to slow oil from bypassing the turbo seals. these things dump quite a bit through and into the intercooler. was also a problem with the Mazdaspeed 3. 5w40 dang near stoped it in its tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back