Check out my poor condition brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched to my winter tires today and took the opportunity to service the brakes. I took some pics for some laughs.

1. My front calipers have grooves worn in their iron where the pads slide. My pads don't have hardware and don't really seem to fit the calipers that well. I'm not sure if I need new caliper brackets or just get pads with hardware.
3. My rear rotors are so rusted it's embarrassing. I rebuilt the rear calipers about a year ago and the brake function has seemingly improved, but the rear rotors are heavily pitted. My RR caliper was leaking internally before I rebuilt it, and both calipers seem to function well again although I cannot tell if the RR caliper is at 100% because of how pitted the rotor is. I passed a safety inspection 2 years ago with obviously malfunctioning rear brakes with super rusty rotors. They used to be worse than this.

caliper 1.jpg

caliper 2.jpg

rotor 1.jpg

rotor 2.jpg

As long as they work..... I don't try to fix what isn't broken yet.

Weird German cars and their wheel bolts instead of lug studs..... just looks so weird

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
What Make & Model vehicle ?
2003 VW Jetta 1.8
Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
I'm surprised you aren't getting pulsation from the way those rear rotors look.
I'm not sure they're 100% functional, the rear brakes have always been bad in this car. I'm making progress but I think the flex lines must be pinched or blocked.

The brakes on ALL Mark IV's are trash. They always eat the front rotors and your rears look about like i see on most of them. I'd get a new set of brackets for the front and chuck your rears for a decent set of rebuilt units.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I
3. My rear rotors are so rusted it's embarrassing.

So clean them up a bit, already.

You've done a fair bit of work so you've had access, and its not difficult to do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Driz
Doesn't that bottom pic look like the the caliper is sticking or just plain not working at all.....

I flushed the FF brake fluid at 200k km and that caliper's dust boot was full of brake fluid when I removed it to rebuild it. It definitely functions, that rotor used to be worse.

The RR did not improve as much as the LR after the rebuild. I believe that caliper was also hardest to bleed so I think the flex hose or brake line is partially clogged or something.

Used to be able to keep my car in tip top shape until local scrapyard closed the upic yard.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by Kira
JohnnyJohnson's brakes photo is of the "Full Cross Ventilation" type.

crackmeup2.gif

My reaction has well
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back