Mega Millions Up to $1.6 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like they'll have to change the name to Mega Billions. This is stupid.....how about putting a cap on it and drawing numbers until they get a winner.

https://abc7chicago.com/finance/mega-millions-results-jackpot-grows-to-record-$16b-after-no-winner-drawn-friday/4523420/

I saw that. Last night it said $1B, so $600M (or is it more like $1.2B since the states get half and the jackpot gets half) of tickets were sold since the last pull? Wow. Thought it took weeks to get to a $600M jackpot...

Not usually a ticket buyer, but for something this big, maybe its worth buying one.

Originally Posted by Warstud
It looks like they'll have to change the name to Mega Billions. This is stupid.....how about putting a cap on it and drawing numbers until they get a winner.

https://abc7chicago.com/finance/mega-millions-results-jackpot-grows-to-record-$16b-after-no-winner-drawn-friday/4523420/

They say that all the time. There are many lesser games out there, but people don't play them. They upped the odds of winning a couple years back so that this situation would happen. If there were a cap, then people wouldn't play.

Lump sum is a little under 700 million, probably a little over 600 million once you pay the state tax.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
I have a better idea...make it into multiple prizes and make a bunch of ppl winners instead

^This makes sense.

I'd rather play something that I have a better chance of winning. Plus I wouldn't know what to do with that much.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Plus I wouldn't know what to do with that much.

Even if you only kept 1/10th of it, it would still alter your life forever.

....Usually in a bad way.

I rarely play. I had three out of the six numbers.
shocked2.gif
$10 richer...woot!

For that much I will play 20 bucks. I don't play it unless it is big. Guy I work with will give me 20 bucks too. We know we won't win, but hey a dollar and dream right?

If I had that kind of money I'd have to worry about my kids being kidnapped, people bugging me at night for money, etc. It would actually restrict my freedoms. And what good is money if you're a slave to it?

My guess:

The higher the number goes, the higher the likelihood on-the-fencers will buy a ticket...or ten.

People don't call it the "idiot tax" for no reason.

Originally Posted by cjcride
Originally Posted by Rolla07
I have a better idea...make it into multiple prizes and make a bunch of ppl winners instead

^This makes sense.

It's an awful idea. There's lots of other lesser games out there, many with 100,000 jackpots or 1-10 million jackpots. They never grow this big. You never see those mentioned because people don't play them.

Also even with the lump sum, there are still well over a thousand people out there who are richer.

Originally Posted by 02SE
It's a tax on the stupid...

Personal chances are tiny, but in having a ticket, you have infinitely more chance of winning than the person without a ticket.

For big enough reward, it makes more sense to tipple than the punters who spend $100/week...different thing entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back