Kerosene in Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Silliness and Old Wives tales still exist.

Oh yes. In this locale, the old timers were clicking their heels at the introduction of multigrades instead of adding things to thin the oil.
wink.gif

My daughter's 2003 Toyota Echo had oil consumption issues, by memory something like a least 1/2 a litre per 1000km (1/2 quart per 600 miles).

Piston soaked overnight with kerosene, the next day I idled that engine for 3 hours
with the crankcase filled with two quarts of PYB 5W-30 and two quarts of kerosene.

Something got cleaned up (rings un-stuck, piston oil drain back holes etc)
as oil consumption following this experiment was reduced to less than half of previous.

Engine/car ran fine up to 370000+ km until a distrated driver lost control and totalled the car.

Originally Posted by jstutz
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
With the detergency of modern engine oils, that's a pretty obsolete practice. Driving on it for 500 miles is probably doing more harm than good. I wouldn't do it either.

It sure doesn't seem good to me. I think he is confused about ATF and Kerosene. It was common for people to drive 500 miles with ATF at 20 percent but I dont think Kerosene.

Your friend isn't confused, he's just not very bright, because using either ATF or Kerosene in modern oil is just asinine. I doubt you starting a thread on the internet is going to change that....

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Originally Posted by jstutz
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
With the detergency of modern engine oils, that's a pretty obsolete practice. Driving on it for 500 miles is probably doing more harm than good. I wouldn't do it either.

It sure doesn't seem good to me. I think he is confused about ATF and Kerosene. It was common for people to drive 500 miles with ATF at 20 percent but I dont think Kerosene.

Your friend isn't confused, he's just not very bright, because using either ATF or Kerosene in modern oil is just asinine. I doubt you starting a thread on the internet is going to change that....

Both had functions many moons ago. ATF was whale oil a natural ester with good cleaning properties. Today with ATF being a petroleum base with little detergents modern PCMO'S have more cleaning ability and will protect a lot better. Kerosene added to oil would thin it out and make it more pumpable with the advent of mutilgrade motor oils this should have died.

In this case, it was Kerosene instead of engine oil.

Back @ 1983, had a neighbor (was living in Tampa Bay area at the time) with an old Pontiac with a 455 engine. The car had set up for 5-6 years before he towed it back to his house. We had good batteries, and extra starting power available. When we drained the oil, it ran like honey, and no light could penetrate the drain stream.

While it drained, we hit the local hardware store and bought 5 gallons of kerosene. We filled the crankcase up with 5 qts of straight kerosene. It took about an hour for the engine to turn enough to finally start. We'd let it idle for about 20 minutes or so, then drain the crankcase. First two cycles were black as paint. Third one was a bit clearer. And by now the car would easily turn over and with one more cycle of kerosene, we drained the crankcase, changed the oil filter, filled it up with 10W30 ( don't remember which brand off hand ). Car fired right up and ran. He went on to change the plugs, ignition points/cap/rotor, plug wires, rebuilt the quadrajet and do a transmission fluid and filter exchange. Given the condition of the old plugs, points, and wires, I was amazed it started in the first place.

He drove it until it eventually rusted out from towing a boat to and from launch ramps on the Gulf of Mexico all the time. Body fell apart, but the engine still ran.

I'd use MMO, Kreen, or a possibly a flush if I had a problem with sludge, varnish or a ticking lifter that had to be addressed. I'd save the Kerosene for the kerosene heater.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
I am a big proponent of a kerosene flush where appropriate. But driving with it is bad. The engine should be unloaded and at low rpms.

*What about adding 5 oz. of Sea Foam to 5 qrts. of engine oil for up to 300 miles (per instructions ) ?

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Originally Posted by Oro_O
I am a big proponent of a kerosene flush where appropriate. But driving with it is bad. The engine should be unloaded and at low rpms.

*What about adding 5 oz. of Sea Foam to 5 qrts. of engine oil for up to 300 miles (per instructions ) ?

I have tried that for some issues; it can be effective for some things like lifters. Depends upon the size of the problem.

Kerosene has been a well respected technique and is effective and safe if done right. When Mercedes had a real carbon issue with some diesels in the 80s, this was actually a dealer service. It is not nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back