Nissan 5.6L Endurance V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Zee09
Any thoughts on the latest version of this engine?
Any application ok.
Thanks

Stellar naturally aspirated power plant.

Lots of chain and sprockets - shears oil

I have the first version and its still tight and pulling hard - not lick of trouble with 80+% towing duty.
Impresses friends that ride, borrow, or tow with it.

I hear things like - "there is no reason for you to get a new truck" - "this thing is awesome."

UD

Last edited:
Jatco 5 and now 7 speed.

Titan was the first half ton with a 5 speed auto.

UD

Thanks Dave
Aren't they now listed as taking 0w20?
What are you running because of the shear a 0w30 0r 5w30?

They might- Ive only had a few hundred miles on the newer ones.

Mine was 30 grade rig in the manual

Im running 10/30 or 0W40 - both get slashed to low 30 after 5-7.5K of towing 5- 7500 lb boat through the dessert heat and hills - the exact hill j807 standardized on - davis dam at least a few times a year - other nearby runs are nearly as tough.

The truck was purpose bought as a comfortable capable towing rig, and its had a very very hard, but properly maintained life.

I own a boat company that also makes fiberglass dune buggy bodies and parts - and this rig has a staff of people using it for work duty - it tows more boats, and toys for testing, delivery and race set up than any single "weekend warrior" guy could.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Thanks Dave
Aren't they now listed as taking 0w20?
What are you running because of the shear a 0w30 0r 5w30?

They might- Ive only had a few hundred miles on the newer ones.

Mine was 30 grade rig in the manual

Im running 10/30 or 0W40 - both get slashed to low 30 after 5-7.5K of towing 5- 7500 lb boat through the dessert heat and hills - the exact hill j807 standardized on - davis dam at least a few times a year - other nearby runs are nearly as tough.

The truck was purpose bought as a comfortable capable towing rig, and its had a very very hard, but properly maintained life.

I own a boat company that also makes fiberglass dune buggy bodies and parts - and this rig has a staff of people using it for work duty - it tows more boats, and toys for testing, delivery and race set up than any single "weekend warrior" guy could.

UD
Thanks UD, this is the first time I have ever heard someone using a Titan as a work truck and being happy with it. If it can survive employees driving it hard then that's a pretty ringing endorsement.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Any pictures of the truck UD? Thanks!

What year and how many miles on it?

Sure- give me a few- Ill post up some stuff.

First year - 04 Crew Cab LE 4x4 with the " big tow" kit.

100K on it now.

UD

Here a few of her many "exploits"

UD

DSC_3005.jpg

080304 005.jpg

DSC00290.jpg

DSCN1940.jpg

IMG_5133.jpg

IMG_5389.jpg

IMG_6026.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

Nice truck. I'd consider one if something happened to my Tacoma. Everybody I've known who has one, loves it.

Doubt it would get much worse gas mileage than the Taco (I get 16 with lots of high-speed highway driving).

Jatco 5 and now 7 speed.

UD

My 2003 Ram had a 5 speed auto

Originally Posted by bbartow
Jatco 5 and now 7 speed.

UD

Interesting - guess Im wrong on that.

Which engine was that paired up with?

I knew you could get a 5 speed manual but didn't think you could get a 5 speed auto.

Is that the unit they put into the cherokee?

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbartow
Jatco 5 and now 7 speed.

UD

Interesting - guess Im wrong on that.

Which engine was that paired up with?

I knew you could get a 5 speed manual but didn't think you could get a 5 speed auto.

Is that the unit they put into the cherokee?

UD

Probably. I remember a friend having one of the Grand Cherokees with the 4.7L V8 and 5-spd. auto in the early 2000s.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
I think the Titan actually was the first, but the difference was measured in weeks or months.

In you could get it in 2003 it was really close- but the titans available in 03 were "model year 04" - so that blurs the line a bit.

I was ready to buy instantly but it took till from September 03- Feb 04 - to get the model I wanted optioned like I wanted.
I remember my wife was sightly ticked off I picked it up on Valentines day Feb 04 - as I drove away with a huge grin - she said something like - " what about me" .

I had two friends that lost cherokee 5 speed transmissions inside 7 years- one went to a GMC Denali, and the other went to a Chevy Silverado-

To be fair they both should have gone to trucks anyway rather than put huge loads on SUV's. I talked - they didn't listen.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Nice truck. I'd consider one if something happened to my Tacoma. Everybody I've known who has one, loves it.

Doubt it would get much worse gas mileage than the Taco (I get 16 with lots of high-speed highway driving).

Thats about what you get -
Ive learned how to baby it and can pull mid 17's on cruise relatively flat a tick under 70.

The 4x4 height 411 gearing (nissan does this different) and little 17's - dont help - this one is rated to tow 9500 LB

I was thrilled with this - vs. the 9 my old f250 got - that could tow that same amount and had ZERO tech.

The nice thing about the Armada is they shouldn't do much worse in terms of fuel economy than the VQ40 powered Frontier and they probably have a better turning radius than the Frontier. LOL

Yeah, you really don't hear of too many issues with the 5R05/ RE5R05A Jatco 5spd auto. It's the same AT used in the Frontier, Xterra and older Pathfinders. They are super easy for DIY drain/fills, as is the whole 4x4 system in general. The 5spd AT must be able to handle a lot of torque put through them given my FIL's 2017 Nissan Frontier crew cab 4x4 has something like a 6200lb tow rating, which seems unreal for a 'small' truck. It blows my pentastar powered Ram 1500 w/ the 8HP45 trans away in terms of towing capacity. The lighter duty 8spd is what kills the tow capacity on the pentastar powered Ram 1500s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back