Moving to San Diego from VA. keep or sell old truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, I may be moving from Virginia to San Diego for new job. i have a 2001 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0 liter gas engine, 125k miles. The previous owner hollowed out the cats. there are no lights or codes stored. i wont have the money to replace the cats right away. So, should I sell it in VA? Or will it pass emissions in Cali? My understanding is that on 2000 and up vehicles it is only a visual inspection and OBD check. I just got cleaned out in a divorce and wont have the thousand plus dollars to replace the cats until I get back on my feet again. So, what would you do? Bite the bullet and replace cats? sell/replace truck before moving? Take a chance on passing Cali inspection? other? thank you!

Sell it . If it doesn,t pass in CA and what it would cost to bring it up.to spec you may get stuck with something you cant use or sell through normal channels.
MKe sure you paperwork is intact.

Others will chime in fron CA im sure .

TOMB

I have zero personal experience with emissions or registering a vehicle in CA, however I would not want to be the owner of a truck w/o 100% legal emissions in the Peoples Republic of CA. Assuming you have current VA safety inspection and don't need that truck for your work in SD, that vehicle may bring a good price in VA. Check KBB for values in both areas too. Are you taking all the vehicles in your sig line out there? Best of luck on your new journey.

Are there extensions on the rear o2 sensors? Cali may visually look for "tampering". I wouldn't risk it.

You get an easier time if the car has historically lived in CA with a computer connection only.

Extra vigilance is paid to out of state vehicles getting their initial smog because of exactly this reason- you will be vectored to a " Star Station" and get the full magilla inspection - including a sniff test.

If you get caught it will be flagged in every computer in the network for a fix.

Ib bet you get caught.

UD

The other reason to sell is quality of West Coast vehicles vs East.

You can replace it with a better condition one most likely, then factor in transportation hassle/cost. Vehicles that never see harsh winters and mild summers are in great shape after 20 years vs what you expect in VA.

Originally Posted by Chris142
How can an obd2 car have hollowed out cats but no cel? As for getting around emissions tests. We have all tried and been caught.

Just search for MIL eliminator. Very common when people hollow out the cats although I'm against the whole thing.

Around here, they eliminated the emissions test, if the OBD has no codes and the car passes a safety check, you get a sticker.

When my daughter moved from Az to San Diego with an 02 Saturn it took a solid 8 hours of effort to get it registered and smogged, and it passed first time. Unbelievable run around.

Sell it, buy a SW vehicle and never wrench another rusty bolt again. Just don't buy something that's lived near the coast.

Hope you've done your homework on cost of living in Ca. A quick search shows the cost of living in SD is 30% higher than the US average. Good luck!

Sell it or fix it. It will NEVER pass the sniffer test without Cats. You will be paying $300+ a year in fines just to keep a sticker on it. That's on top of huge registration fees.
I sure hope you found a good paying job out here. Rents are through the roof. $1700 for a small apartment is typical.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Chris142
How can an obd2 car have hollowed out cats but no cel? As for getting around emissions tests. We have all tried and been caught.

Just search for MIL eliminator. Very common when people hollow out the cats although I'm against the whole thing.

Around here, they eliminated the emissions test, if the OBD has no codes and the car passes a safety check, you get a sticker.
Same here. I recently got my emissions done and my car was not ready (I have no idea why, I haven't disconnected the battery in a long time) If you are still not ready after the second test they sniff test it. I guess there are a lot of vehicles that have malfunctioning emissions components that will still pass a sniff test. I disconnected the battery, reconnected it and drove 200 km (they recommend 60km) and it passed the OBD2 check two weeks later. Only the first test is free, stupid car glitching out and costing me extra money.

Best of luck to you, most people are moving away from that state, even long time residents. My son lives in LA and works in computer programming, makes good money,but the traffic, crime and high taxes and prices have caused him and his wife to make plans to come back to midwest where at least the dream of being able to actually afford a house is not totally dead. The nice weather can no longer offset the negatives of living there for him. He will be interviewing for a tech job at "Hudl" and will probably make 30K less but still have a lot more punch in his paycheck.

Your truck has OBD 2 diagnostics and the smog check places will plug their computer into the diagnostic link under the dash to check what the ECU is saying. It is not likely that your truck will be put on the rollers to check tailpipe emissions at idle, 15 mph and 25 mph. I know on my 2010 Silverado with the 5.3, the tech will do a visual inspection and plug into the diagnostic link for a couple of minutes to do the test and test the gas cap which is all that they do for newer vehicles. Whether or not your truck will pass the smog test depends on what is in the truck's ECU. If you want to keep the truck and register it in California, you might want to think about replacing the cats before you leave Virginia. If you buy the parts from a place like Rock Auto, you shouldn't get beat up too bad. If you decide to buy them here in California, get ready to get hosed.

We have the toughest smog laws in the nation. The tests are now done with OBD 2 computer reads.
Also, Gov. Swazenegger made a law that cats had to be certified or something for that vehicle.
You used to be able to get a new cat at any muffler shop for $80; now it could be $450.
Heck Honda's had bolt in that you could do for a song.
I would sell the truck.
In San Diego and the LA area you will find the biggest auto market in the nation.
Ain't no rust!
For something like $1,000 a friend got a nice 2002 Silverado.

Maybe check Craigslist for whats available?
By the way, you will love San Diego.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
We have the toughest smog laws in the nation. The tests are now done with OBD 2 computer reads.
Also, Gov. Swazenegger made a law that cats had to be certified or something for that vehicle.
You used to be able to get a new cat at any muffler shop for $80; now it could be $450.
Heck Honda's had bolt in that you could do for a song.
I would sell the truck.
In San Diego and the LA area you will find the biggest auto market in the nation.
Ain't no rust!
For something like $1,000 a friend got a nice 2002 Silverado.

Maybe check Craigslist for whats available?
By the way, you will love San Diego.

$2400 for the C.A.R.B approved ones for my Jeep.

Sorry to hear about your divorce, bud. I truly am!

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else who said to sell the truck.

I'm also curious to read which of the vehicles in the sig still belong to you.

I used to work extensively in CA. Dealing with the bureaucracy there can be trying on your soul.

I truly feel that you will have far less stress in your life if you simply purchase a quality vehicle there, that will pass the various local inspections for years to come.

Ditch the truck, enjoy beautiful San Diego and work on getting back on your feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back