Pixel 3 announced today

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL were announced today along with other products from Google. The phones had been leaked for months.

My Nexus 6 no longer gets any operating or security updates. Battery lasts a few hours even after I installed a new battery and then another new battery. Phone gets stuck and does not respond for 20-30 seconds, then works again.

I ordered the Pixel 3 XL via Project Fi.

I was not wowed by the announcement, this was a planned upgrade. But the phone is impressive.

Hearing they are 800 bucks doesn't make me happy though....

Looks like a grand + phones are the future.....

Though I have heard good things about the Pixel....

I have a Pixel 2. The camera really is as great as everyone says it is. I'm not sure how they can top it, it's still the camera to beat in 2018.

The rest of the phone is also great, I really have no complaints at all.

That said, I will never buy a phone at these prices. My Pixel 2 was a black friday deal last year for under $500. That's the only I'll go flagship phones in the future.

My smartphone was a free LG from PC Mobile.
Some people need to decide when to buy a phone and when to buy a computer. If a specialty phone is required for work, I'd make sure I was somehow compensated for it. Paycheck must be a reflection of the need-then.

I just wait for the sales on Samsungs. OLED displays and trade in of some crappy phone I broke and $400-550 it's all mine with no monthly payment nonsense.

Bonus tip, always buy unlocked and take it to whichever carrier is offering the best deal currently

Given that the updates are only so many years from the phone's availability it makes sense to buy the phone at its availability. To get the longest numbers of years of updates for your money. Or one way to look at it. Going from a Nexus 6 to the Pixel 3 XL meant I had skipped one generation of Nexus phones and two of Pixel before my upgrade. I was also waiting (and hoping) for a large screen size phone, like the Nexus 6.

Many phone companies let you pay over 2 years with no contract and no interest. If you leave early you just pay the number of months you owe.

You will not be unhappy with the Pixel. I have a 2 XL and see no reason to upgrade to a 3, but I will when mine dies I guess. Everything about these phones is superior IMO. Like it has been said, the camera alone is exquisite.

There's a deal posted on SlickDeals: buy two Pixel 3 or 3XL get $799 credit to Google Fi.

It's the new Nikon/Hasselblad. Same prices as pro-sumer DSLR's used to be. And you get a phone
laugh.gif

I've got a Samsung S7 Edge that I've had for 3 years. It has been great, but it can't keep up with Samsung's bloatware and extra layer of OS. One of my colleagues still has a Pixel 1 and it runs like new. I just bought a Pixel 3 and look forward to it being a "pure" Android phone.

AH ... bloatware ... I hate it and why I love my Huawei Elate, nice clean Android and for $70.00 (Seventy Dollars) I could throw it away every year and buy a new one if I wanted too but like the phone too much and battery life will blow away any phone and 10 times the price. We have 3 of them in our family, have been rock solid, granted its been on the market a while now and not the latest if you must have that. Anyway, having owned cell phones for the last 20 years, Im sold on this company now.
its also known as Huawei Ascend X2 both ATT

Click here for photo...

Last edited:
Agreed that Samsung bloatware and touchwiz are a bit too much for my liking. I got an S8 plus from Verizon because my previous Moto G5S Plus wasn't working properly on their network, despite them verifying that it would. So they gave me an S8 Plus for 150 bucks. The Moto phone felt just as snappy as the S8 does, despite having much lower specs because it was running almost pure Android.

However, the below method will disable whatever bloatware you choose for your user, without rooting the phone. It will still be installed on the phone, but disabling it for the user accomplishes basically the same thing, just doesn't free up memory space.
So I got all the Bixby nonsense, carrier apps, Amazon shopping, dictionary, Samsung email, etc. disabled. They never run in the background, never update and my battery life improved quite a bit as a result as well. The downside of this method is that you have to run the command for each app separately, it's not a one shot deal, so it takes some time. It's worth it IMO.

Remove bloatware

I'm now running Microsoft Launcher, yeah I know Microsoft on an Android phone, but I have tried Nova and others and I didn't like them and they affected battery life, not by much but I could notice and some have adds unless you purchase the app. Microsoft Launcher, on the other hand has no adds, it is free and so far I have not noticed any impact on battery life.

But just disabling the bloatware apps I didn't use made a nice improvement in my case, more so for battery life, the performance was always good because I don't have a ton of apps.

All of this can be done without the need of rooting the phone. Also, and it could be a plus or a minus, if the phone is restored to factory settings, all the disabled app will reappear again. Useful feature if you need warranty work, not useful if you need to restore for other reasons, because the process will have to be repeated again.

I never knew about Microsoft Launcher.
I miss Windows phones, last one was a Nokia, simple and clean, loved it.
But for anyone old enough, too little to late, much like Betamax vs VHS (for those who can remember) ANdroid was too firmly in place while MS wallowed around trying to get its act together.

Anyway, going to give the Launcher a try today ... 2 posts above, our family found our favorite phones with the Huawei Elate, simple and clean Android, now I think out of production or close to it my next one will be the Huawei Mate 9 or SE (?).. but chances are Ill stick with the one I have now for another year.

Last edited:
Can't say I would ever purchase a $500-1,000 phone. Especially when there so many sub-$200 phones out there. They even come free of bloatware and on Android one with three-years of updates. (Xiaomi Mi A2 for example) Agree with Alarmguy on this also - Technology changes so fast these days... I just don't get having to spend so much on these throw-away items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back