Axes, hatchets, mauls, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently become interested in edged implements like axes. I own a couple, just bought an Estwing camp axe at Lowe's the other day that's almost too pretty to use. I'm going to take a shot at sharpening all of my tools on Sunday, should be interesting.

Any other posters who accumulate/use axes and the like?

Originally Posted by Astro14
Buy a Gransfors-Bruks axe and you'll really start collecting them...

Those a awesome axes! All handmade by true craftsmen! I would like to get one of their hatchets someday.

Estwing makes durable tools except for their shingling hatchet. Carried Ol' Kneeknocker, a 22 oz joist hammer for many yrs. My axes and hatchets are a motley assortment of freebies. Same with the sledges and mauls. I'll buy a new handle for a found head.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
Estwing makes durable tools except for their shingling hatchet. Carried Ol' Kneeknocker, a 22 oz joist hammer for many yrs. My axes and hatchets are a motley assortment of freebies. Same with the sledges and mauls. I'll buy a new handle for a found head.
grin2.gif

I've been on plenty of jobsites and if you're a carpenter without an Estwing framing hammer (or better) then I'm going to look at you strangely. Never seen a broken Estwing tool but I've seen plenty of Estwing hammers that are older than I am. Their only weakness is the leather handle drying out. My hammer is a black 15 oz Estwing ultra series framing hammer with a leather handle. I also have a 3 lb Estwing drilling hammer that I got on clearance at Canadian Tire. When I first started working construction with my dad, I used an old leather handled Estwing that was missing a few sections of the leather. I think it's still in the garage somewhere.

I would love a Fireside Friend, double bit axe or the tomahawk. Estwing is awesome!

I "inherited" an Estwing framing hammer. It has a patina of rust on the poor thing, and a slippery blue rubber handle. I was bored yesterday and attacked it with steel wool and WD40. It looks better than it did, but I think its days as a beauty queen are over. I wonder if I could wrap some paracord around the handle to give me a better grip.

I bought a Fireside Friend yesterday, $30 at Lowe's, with a nylon sheath.

Home Depot had a Gerber Jr. Machete for $19.99, so I picked up one. I have never owned a machete and I'm not entirely sure what I'll use it for...perhaps slaying zombies. I have some brush/scrubby trees at the back of the property to clear at some point. I was waiting for the weather to cool off a little, and it went from 80 degrees to really cold, almost instantaneously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back