No Poly-tics :) Rambling On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Whoever here deemed Politics and Religion as taboo need to be commended.
Those subjects are so polarizing.
And no sex talk...…. again- great! Has that old guy ever wondered up to you at a party with his stupid nasty sex jokes?
No thanks.

What's worse than the above? The childish pickup truck brand loyalty bunch you see on every forum and YouTube.
We always claim they are 14 year old's but we all know they are not. Reading that crap is disgusting. Found On The Road Dead,
Dodge-Ram bashing, Chevy is junk and on and on. My big Fords never pass a gas station but they ain't no hybrid. But the complainers today
moan and groan over 18-21 mpg Hwy and the reality is most never see that. It usually is like 14-15 mpg.

The above is just so tiring and you get the feeling that these people are radicals and would kill if need be. I know I'm ready to run a few over
myself
smile.gif
I know someone here will say, don't read it. Uh, you can't avoid it.

I've owned about every modern truck out there with exception of a Titan, Mitsu PU, and the Ridgeline. Owned many diesels and gassers.
This is from the late 70's onward. I don't get the new Ridgeline- and maybe because I like boxy trucks. But thinking about it I can see why
people would buy it. Older people especially that don't want to pay for delivery or don't have anybody to help them and need a multi use vehicle etc.

Ram gets a bunch of abuse around here- but the new 1500 is the best ever IMO. The big Chevy trucks are very durable and not as ungainly to drive
as the big Fords- I do buy Fords but the Chevy seems more contractor friendly to me. Everything made has issues so you buy what you like and what fits.

I came around on the Ridgeline but don't really like how Honda is rounding off all the bigger vehicles- I'm sure it is for efficiency.
I don't ever see myself buying one. But as I get older you never know. I really don't like the looks of it. The Titan trucks get bashed for looks too.

If you ever see one up close they take on a new look though and it is funny but they look far nicer than you think.

We also have many here that believe that only people that tow or haul should own pu's.

Well you know the PU is the new SUV. Me, I use mine for hard work but have no issue with those that use them as a SUV. After all
they bought them? I don't do much YouTubing but I think I'll leave the comment section be.

Without starting an argument because I'm not a truck guy, I'll just say out of the big three I see a *lot* more old Chevy/GMC trucks running around than I do Dodge or Ford. I'm talking all the way back to mid to late 1970's models.

As far *if* was a truck buyer, my personal pref is for the Chevrolet/GMC because they've struck a nice looking balance between too big and a reasonable size. Chevy/GMC to me have a better look size wise like they're not trying to be the biggest most massive looking pickup on the road, yet their duty specs are right up there with the competition.

Let the fireworks begin ...
lol.gif

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Without starting an argument because I'm not a truck guy, I'll just say out of the big three I see a *lot* more old Chevy/GMC trucks running around than I do Dodge or Ford. I'm talking all the way back to mid to late 1970's models.

As far *if* was a truck buyer, my personal pref is for the Chevrolet/GMC because they've struck a nice looking balance between too big and a reasonable size. Chevy/GMC to me have a better look size wise like they're not trying to be the biggest most massive looking pickup on the road, yet their duty specs are right up there with the competition.

lol.gif

I have seen that first hand as I maintained our fleet of Chevy-GMC trucks which were abused and all trucks had multiple drivers.
I also have a brother that is the best tester ever- a real pig of a truck owner. He runs the stew out of them and wrecks them monthly.
Gets over 400k miles with not many issues until the body becomes destroyed by his bad driving- I'm serious.

So I agree. I like my Fords but am game for any trucks. My extended family all worked for GM and most hated me because I didn't buy.
But I drove GM trucks daily and my personal rides didn't have to be....

Any GM cars I ever had I never got much lifespan out of the AC comps. Notice that on the newer trucks too.

I don't understand the prices of new pickup trucks, even a bare bones work truck is expensive. Well maybe I do understand it, profit on buying trends. The other thing I don't understand the popularity for is short bed pick up trucks. Some of the beds are so small, what is it going to carry.

You are correct on all counts. I don't want to disregard good oil/ mechanical advice because I think the poster's an idiot for his political views so I'm better off not knowing.
lol.gif

All trucks are good. Well, 90% of them.
wink.gif
The R&D budget is insane. You want a junk vehicle, buy a dodge caliper or something.

I'm lucky to live somewhere that my fixed costs for a truck ar $300 a year. Drive my 23 year old F150 1000 miles a year to the dump, home depot etc. I would hate to have to use a truck as a family hauler due to tags/ insurance/ parking. So wasteful.

Originally Posted by goodtimes
I don't understand the prices of new pickup trucks, even a bare bones work truck is expensive. Well maybe I do understand it, profit on buying trends. The other thing I don't understand the popularity for is short bed pick up trucks. Some of the beds are so small, what is it going to carry.

Yes sir. I remember my dad moaning in the late 60's when the price of his work vans went through the roof.
They became the new hippie vehicles of choice. I remember in the early 80's you could buy the loss leader F150 for $4K new

You are correct on all counts. I don't want to disregard good oil/ mechanical advice because I think the poster's an idiot for his political views so I'm better off not knowing.

lol
smile.gif

Good times indeed. Today's products are truly excellent. I'm not brand loyal, I simply purchase what I like. Lately that's been Ford F150's and a few GM diesel trucks and one Ram diesel. All have been great.

It would be hard to truly say one make is better.

The bottom line is that the F150's seats are most comfortable to me, it really is that simple.

I have had some junk as well as worked on cars since the mid 80's. I draw my own conclusions. Chevy trucks have ball joints fail on a regular basis. 73-87 Chevy trucks have the worst cabs. They all rattle. They also lose cam lobes.

My 86 mits pickup was absolute garbage. I swore off any Mitsubishi after that. My 87 f250 has been a fantastic truck, except for power. It's a real slug on any grade. At least the cab does not rattle.

Wife's Tahoe is plastic fantastic. It's driveline including the 4l60 trans has done well. Much better than many want to believe. The interier is junk including the falling down head liner. The interier squeaks and rattles,makes it hard to talk. The 295hp 5.3 is a blast to drive and gets ok mpg.

Originally Posted by Zee09
rounding off all the bigger vehicles

This is with every vehicle manufacturer it seems. Every current vehicle made looks like a jellybean. I saw a current Jaguar the other day and thought it was a Hyundai. I was like,that's a pretty sweet Hyundai,and when I got closer I saw it was some kind of new Jaguar. The only difference was the brand badging. There was a time I could see a car coming at night and know by the headlights exactly what kind of car it was.

Originally Posted by goodtimes

Short beds are usually Crew Cab types that can carry 5 children or 4 adults, as does my Nissan Frontier with the crew cab.

For hauling junk to the Landfill, I use my 1999 S-10 long bed.

Brand loyalty seems to be dying a bit, at least with younger people like myself. We have always been a GM family, but I've owned two 99 Rams, one gas one diesel. I try to buy whatever's the best for my needs regardless of brand.

My current truck is a 2016 Sierra because it was the best of the bunch at the time, in my opinion anyway. Ram was a very outdated platform until 2019, and I also wasn't comfortable going Ford since they had just changed over to aluminum construction. I hate to be the beta tester on something like that but it seems to be fine at this point.

Tundra is a good truck but a dinosaur. I don't want to spend 50 grand and get something that is almost indistinguishable from the 10 year old models.

The GM trucks have always been very conservative and I think that's why they have an appeal to people. Steel construction, proved pushrod engines. Unfortunately I think they are too conservative now. The 2019s are pretty underwhelming. The interior quality is no better than my 16 and in some ways looks cheaper. They also didn't add many new luxury features and have fallen behind Ford and Ram in that arena. Not that I need any of that junk but you can get a Ford with massaging seats, pano roof, etc. The top of the line Denali looks basic in comparison. GM engines are great but mostly carryover with only a few changes for efficiency, and no more power.

Ram interior is next level, although overall FCA quality still might be questionable. Engines are also carryover but with a mild hybrid option now. Exterior styling is OK, maybe not my cup of tea but at least it looks a bit different after being the same since 2009.

All of that said I think the Ford is the best looking of the bunch and offers a good blend of features, engine options and quality. It's no longer the newest platform on the block but that will probably be my next truck.

I think people just short themselves when they buy based on brand and not what's the best for them. My dad would probably kill me for saying that if he was still here!

I can't argue that Zack
Like you said, everything has pluses and minuses but you just have to buy what works for you.
I used to buy anything I wanted and I did not get cheap but I no longer value all the extras.
I need what I need and the biggest thrill I get is not having to go back to the dealer.

Many mechanics trash Ford because they really are the opposite of GM ( the way things work)
I will say I had a 2011 F350 TD and then a 2015 gasser and the underneath of these trucks are now as nicely finished as the outside.
The underbody of the 19's look really great. My 2011 didn't give me issues but right off the lot it had bolts holding the bed etc-rusting right in eyes view.
Stuff like that. The new ones are amazing- I think they call it E coating?

I did hear about the new GM's interior. I guess the WT buyers wouldn't care that much. They are always after the bottom line.

Agreed -seat comfort means a ton to me.
I have a hybrid that is as smooth as silk- I like everything about it but...….

The seats are absolutely painful after 30 minutes. You buy a hybrid to drive a bunch- so this is rather a bad deal...
You have to have head and leg room and a great set of seats.

My brother bought a '15 Sierra 4 door, 4wd with a 6' bed. We stuffed 3 fat old men in the back and drove 60 miles across upstate NY to see some old make and break engines. We were all glad to get out. Realistically, it is just a 4 psgr car. Just as is the Camry. It has a OHV V8. GM is wise to keep it as the 1/2 ton PU engine. Just like a Harley V2 .

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

lol.gif

Don't look at the 2019 they are large.

The 2019's GM's look like transformers to me. That is not good IMO. Ram interiors are top notch but the drivetrains are dated. Ford interiors look and feel like Ford found leftover material from 2004 and decided to use it.

Brand loyalty limits choices. I used to be a GM fanboy, but I eventually opened my eyes and realized I was missing out on a whole lot of other very good vehicles. Are there still certain brands I won't consider? Sure....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back