Windshield Washer Fluid? Homemade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wowthisexists
I will check the grocery store.
Kroger (or Dillons, Fred Meyer, Ralphs, and more) sell windshield washer fluids for $1.99/gallon. Where do you live ? If you don't want to say, what stores are around ?

Originally Posted by StevieC
This is what I use. It's great in the winter and it leaves the winshield squeeky clean. I developed it because they use a de-icing spray here that sticks worse than glue when it gets kicked up onto your vehicle / windshield. Before this I was a Rain-X Winter / Bug fan.

Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid:

2 cups isopropyl alcohol 99% (or more if you can't find 99% Iso-Alcohol and then just adjust water below) Or less if you don't live where cold temperatures is a concern.
1 cup white vinegar
3 quarts water
2 Tbsp liquid dish soap (Dawn seems to work best)
5 drops blue food coloring
That's pricey man, best I can find 99% is at Costco for like $2 for 500ml. your formula is just under 4 litres right? It better be amazing for that price. I know you can probably get the alcohol cheaper if you bought it in bulk.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
This is what I use. It's great in the winter and it leaves the winshield squeeky clean. I developed it because they use a de-icing spray here that sticks worse than glue when it gets kicked up onto your vehicle / windshield. Before this I was a Rain-X Winter / Bug fan.

2 cups isopropyl alcohol 99% (or more if you can't find 99% Iso-Alcohol and then just adjust water below) Or less if you don't live where cold temperatures is a concern.
1 cup white vinegar
3 quarts water
That's pricey man, best I can find 99% is at Costco for like $2 for 500ml. your formula is just under 4 litres right? It better be amazing for that price. I know you can probably get the alcohol cheaper if you bought it in bulk.

Works for me. I have literally tried everything available and nothing works to clean like this.

Originally Posted by wowthisexists
$2? LOL, I wish!!
Yea, I asked b/c I know I am getting gouged by the gas station at $5/gallon.

There is no WalMart near where I live. Not sold at CVS.
I will check the grocery store.
If no options, then I will just deal with the $5 price.

That's crazy.
The de-icer style goes on closeout every spring for a dollar a gallon almost everywhere that sells washer fluid.
Stock up then.

1 cup white vinegar
3 quarts water

I don't add any coloring.

For only $1 at the Dollar Tree, you can buy enough bubble blowing soap or dish soap to make 1000's of gallons of washer fluid.

I never added vinegar - but that sounds like a good idea.

Just a couple tablespoons, or "a good splash" worth of iso prop alcohol is enough for Texas winters.

I use rainwater for everything - it's just as good as distilled for windshield washer fluid.

For sure... My home brew is more to fix the solution they spray on the roads here in the winter so it can be adjusted to suit different climates / conditions.
thumbsup2.gif

1 cup white vinegar
3 quarts water

I was wondering where the best place was to purchase some IPA. I want it to do a final clean/prep before waxing only. While I'm at Costco, I just purchase their -45 windshield washer fluid. Usually, on sale, it is $8.50 for 4, 4 liter jugs of the stuff. I have been using it for a few years now it it works great for me. With 3 vehicles now to look after, I best check to see what the current price is?
I assume the IPA you purchase is in the "Pharmacy" area?

1 cup white vinegar
3 quarts water

Max, I was at my local Costco last night but could not find any IPA? Is the Pharmacy where you normally get it or somewhere else? I never asked anyone as all I seen that worked there (there weren't many) were all busy.

Thanks in advance.
cheers3.gif

1 cup white vinegar
3 quarts water

For those who can't find 99% alcohol, according to the formula above, you should be able to use the more common 70% version and simply reduce the 3 quarts of water by about 4.8 ounces. The difference between 2 cups of 99% alcohol vs 70% alcohol is approximately 5 ounces of water (it's actually much less than than).

Now, before some wise-guy jumps all over me, these numbers are approximate because they are based on volume and not mole mass. For the purposes of this discussion, close enough. I have no idea what the boiling/freezing point of vinegar is and would be interested in knowing the freezing point of this mixture.

Ray

I bought my 99% through a Pharmacy I get my regular medication from.

The 70% if used instead doesn't need to be exact so rough measurement will work. It's more for the antifreezing properties but also helps to cut through the grime on the windshield.

Last edited:

1 cup white vinegar
3 quarts water

This sounds like an acid rain recipe. I have been using 20/10 concentrate for many years with good success. I don't want to carry gallon jugs of washer fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back