Change filter each time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As most know, Honda suggests changing the filter every other oil change, which could be 15-20k. I'll be oil changes at 5k due to my fears of fuel dilution. First change will be at 5k.

So, do I:

Change the filter each time, probably using a tough guard as there is really no need for an ultra.

Change every other time using an ultra. Even 10k should be a walk in the park for an ultra.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Follow your Owner's Manual according to your driving style. I would peruse the UOA's and consider UOA on your 3rd OCI. Enjoy your new ride.

I think the TG is the most underrated filter on BITOG*, I've seen some 20k C&Ps that looked fine, 10k on a TG is nothing. Three OCIs on a TG is a pretty good value.

*OCOD is tied but it has a bad rep outside of this board, which skews things a bit. Even the OCOD is probably a 10k filter, cardboard end caps and all.
cool.gif

I would opt to over maintain and change it every time its not going to make your engine wear out prematurely. But that's just me.
I use filter rated at 99% plus efficiency and always do my OIC in 7500 miles or less Oct and April.

Last edited:
You'll get many answers. I'd say whichever makes you most comfortable. Honda does recommend every other MM oci for fci. One 10-15% MM oci ~6500 miles IME, ymmv. So with 5k mile oci, change each time or every other with for the mentioned TG. The FU easily good for 10k+ miles, two ocis. IMO, if you choose to go every other oci, use the Ultra. Not that much more than a TG, and for 10k miles, a decent ROI for ~$9.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I think the TG is the most underrated filter on BITOG*, I've seen some 20k C&Ps that looked fine, 10k on a TG is nothing. Three OCIs on a TG is a pretty good value.

*OCOD is tied but it has a bad rep outside of this board, which skews things a bit. Even the OCOD is probably a 10k filter, cardboard end caps and all.
cool.gif

Needed a filter for my '14 Civic and grabbed a couple of TG7317 at Walmart. No complaints here and it's been on for a few weeks. Good filter.

I say use an oversize fram ultra for the full 20k miles while replacing the oil at 5k intervals. I plan on doing this in our nissan.

In a clean engine I'd rather have a fram ultra to get those small wear particles. In a dirty engine I would rather use cheaper paper filters and swap more often.

Last edited:
One filter, One OCI
smile.gif

The orange can PH7317 now has silicone, so it is very close to the A02. Since they are so cheap at Walmart, I'd use one of those every OCI

Before Honda introduced the MM, they had begun stating 10k OCI with a filter change every other, so the filter would be replaced only every 20k, and the OEM Honda filter is more like an OCOD than an Ultra.

Plus, those oil change deals usually include a filter, so no reason not to replace it if you're already getting one.

Using 5w30 and premium will also help the issues
smile.gif

New filter every oil change (Ultra) it's just not that expensive and makes me feel good. I believe the 4.0 Ford with the timing chain setup requires a little more mantaince to keep inside engine super clean.

Originally Posted by littleant
New filter every oil change (Ultra) it's just not that expensive and makes me feel good. I believe the 4.0 Ford with the timing chain setup requires a little more mantaince to keep inside engine super clean.
What's your evidence that replacing the Ultra more frequently than recommended will keep the inside of your engine any more "super clean"?

Originally Posted by Kage860
In a clean engine I'd rather have a fram ultra to get those small wear particles. In a dirty engine I would rather use cheaper paper filters and swap more often.

There is something to this, I suppose.

Back in the 90's I ran a Motorcraft FL-1A on a somewhat clean (internally) Ford 400M V8 (well tuned)

I did 3X 10,000 mile oil changes on the same filter.

After 30,000+ miles, I cut the filter open and saw no evidence at all that it couldn't have gone even further.

CR94 No scientific evidence at all. I use the ultra because I believe it's the best filter going. Would still do the same with a wix/napa. Looking in side my valve cover and seeing a spotless head is good enough for me. . If I am changing the filter to soon so be it. Personal choice.

In a clean engine the Ultra would easily go 3-4 5000 mile changes, there are many here with 15-20,000 on them and no issues.

TG is a good filter, but Honda filters can be had for less $. It is true that Honda has recommended up to 20,000 on their filters prior to the MM. (Every other 10,000 OCI)

IMO if you're going to change it a 5000 miles and change the filter every time, you might was well use a PH7317. TG7317 will handle 10,000. XG7317 15-20,000 is conservative.

Hows the MM tracking, is it going to send you to 10,000?

If you're dead set on 5000 mile changes, and the MM is tracking somewhere around 10,000, if you don't reset the MM (i wouldn't) every 5000 then you will probably go 3-4 loci on a ultra if you just change the filter when the MM says to (and you should not have warranty issues following the MM.

I thought the 2.0T didn't suffer the dilution like the 1.5T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back