Cut open used Fram Ultra & Subaru OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
No tears to report, everything looked decent.

Left: Fram Ultra, ran 8000 miles on a 2017 Legacy with supertech 0w20 full synthetic.

Right: Subaru OEM, ran 2500 miles on a 2019 Ascent with supertech 5w30 full synthetic.

I will probably never use the OEM Subaru filter again, just because it costs $7 with taxes and I think for that price I should get metal end caps and a silicon ADBV.

2B574356-C349-48FE-AF84-90282E7C07B3.jpeg

That Subaru filter is obviously also a Fram product. I'd suspect that a Fram TG would be an excellent match/replacement for the OEM filter.

Originally Posted by MrWideTires
I will probably never use the OEM Subaru filter again, just because it costs $7 with taxes and I think for that price I should get metal end caps and a silicon ADBV.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Fram Ultra filters run about $9 at Wal-mart so to me that's a no brainer.

That is true, most oil filter makers actually hope you don't know what a "silicone ADBV" is vs. a nitrile. The Subaru OEM oil filter marketing people know that most people just buy a Subie filter for a Subie, plain and simple, no actual thought required.

Check the bypass pressure spec from Subie engineers though. Many Subie engines in the past have needed high bypass pressure. I have a GM engine that has the same "gotcha" spec. The Fram Ultra XG7317 has a 13 psi bypass pressure, which may not be right for the high-flow oil pump Subaru uses.
A Wix 57055 (and its NAPA Gold clone) has a 27 psi bypass valve setting, that would be the one I'd choose, and it has a very good 95% at 20 microns 4548-12.

A little known but very good, efficient oil filter (94% at 20 microns 4548-12) for a high-bypass subaru is the HP17, as it has a 22 psi bypass pressure, silicone ADBV like the good ones, & a bonus screen over the bypass valve. http://www.fram.com/media/1075/fram-racing-filter-sell-sheet.pdf ...
amazon that one I'd think....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
What about the black Subaru OEM filters??

There are a bunch of reports on various Tokyo Roki filters on subaruforester.org, one of the mods made a project out of cutting open all kinds of oil filters with the "correct" bypass pressure and some without it.
I find the Tokyo Rokis to be of very solid construction, but I don't think there was anything super special about the internals from the reports I saw.

Here's a good chance to compare the bypass springs side by side. It's easy to take them apart just to get the spring if desired. Or push on the assembled with fingers or weights. I don't believe there is anything to worry about using the OE. Everything in the filter is specified to the requirements. QC is another issue though.
Nice to see something different.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
A little known but very good, efficient oil filter (94% at 20 microns 4548-12) for a high-bypass subaru is the HP17, as it has a 22 psi bypass pressure, silicone ADBV like the good ones, & a bonus screen over the bypass valve. http://www.fram.com/media/1075/fram-racing-filter-sell-sheet.pdf

Not on the HP6 or HP17, so that's not a bonus...

I think I priced out the HP17 once and was shocked at how expensive it was!

If you really want to blow some serious money on an oil filter, go for the cherry blossom pink STI version...seen them in the $30-50 range.

STIfilter.jpg

The HP17 shows a bypass of 16-28 so I would rather have a filter spec'd at the specific 23 psi that Subaru uses on their filters. Personally I use the Premium Guard PG4615 filters that cost me under $2 shipped (in bulk). They have the 23 psi bypass and are perfect for the newer recommended 6K interval that Subaru has been using of late. I actually run them to 7500 with full synthetic and they hold up fantastic. Just my .02

Cool where Subaru put the oil filter on the boxer engine, right on top. Is it messy to change? Seems like it would start spilling out as you unscrewed it.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
A little known but very good, efficient oil filter (94% at 20 microns 4548-12) for a high-bypass subaru is the HP17, as it has a 22 psi bypass pressure, silicone ADBV like the good ones, & a bonus screen over the bypass valve. http://www.fram.com/media/1075/fram-racing-filter-sell-sheet.pdf
Not on the HP6 or HP17, so that's not a bonus...
I think I priced out the HP17 once and was shocked at how expensive it was! If you really want to blow some serious money on an oil filter, go for the cherry blossom pink STI version...seen them in the $30-50 range.
Its true, the Fram Racing HP17 for a Subaru on Amazon.com is $18 (free prime ship, no tax) kinda steep, I guess not too bad though. I use a Wix WL10255 $9 equiv to an $18 Fram Racing HP18 (PF63E replacement) in my tiny Chevy 92 cubic inch turbo app, and was also scared off by the high-ish price.

.... For a high-flow Subaru engine, I'd seriously consider using the high-flow HP17, still efficient enough at 94% at 20microns and flows at least 10 gpm no problem.

Originally Posted by sw99
The HP17 shows a bypass of 16-28 so I would rather have a filter spec'd at the specific 23 psi that Subaru uses on their filters. Personally I use the Premium Guard PG4615 filters that cost me under $2 shipped (in bulk). They have the 23 psi bypass and are perfect for the newer recommended 6K interval that Subaru has been using of late. I actually run them to 7500 with full synthetic and they hold up fantastic. Just my .02
I understand your confusion. Sometimes its stated as a range, & other times as a single number.....

The bypass valve is on a spring, so it begins opening at 16 psi and is fully open at 28 psi, and thats the same as saying it has a 22 psi threshold. Any oil filter has a spring that has a nearly constant elastic modulus, and you get a "crack" open at much smaller pressures than the simpler advertised spec of 22 or 23 psi.

Last edited:
The HP17 shows a bypass of 16-28 so I would rather have a filter spec'd at the specific 23 psi that Subaru uses on their filters.

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?

You are never going to reach that pressure differential, anyway. Unless you have 60W aircraft oil, or pure STP in the sump

Originally Posted by Linctex
The HP17 shows a bypass of 16-28 so I would rather have a filter spec'd at the specific 23 psi that Subaru uses on their filters.
WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?
You are never going to reach that pressure differential, anyway. Unless you have 60W aircraft oil, or pure STP in the sump
It does indeed make a difference. Let's look at some actual data on flow and pressure diff. This is better than guessing or hyperbole about what you "feel" is happening. Here is a graph showing cool oil (not that cold!) 34 degrees F 5w30 flowing through a few different oil filters. If its 10 degrees F outside, double the pressure drop you see there. Bypass events happen. Mostly when its cold at startup or revving the engine then.
[Linked Image]

Looks like 2 fram made filters.
I think the combo valve/leaf spring gadget seems like it would have a better chance to seal better against the fiber endcaps than the felt ring on the metal endcaps. That's assuming the non metallic end caps hold their shape enough which most the ones I've seen have as did this one.
Still I'd like to see fram redesign and use an internal bpv.

Another post reading my mind. Im going to use NAPA Gold on my 18 Crosstrek, I'd also like to know how the spring tension compares. Lots of better filters than the Framaru, but careful about the psi rating...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back