09 Honda CRV Belt Tensioner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys:

How often do Honda belt tensioners go bad?

I'm replacing a power steering pump and kicking around the idea of doing the tensioner also. I understand the motor mount has to be removed.

The one in my 2006 Accord with the K24 started rattling around around 100K, most go much further.

I'm only at 91k, but have a really nasty noise that I can't seem to track down. It gets worse in gear.

With the belt loose, should I be able to tell if the tensioner is the problem? I'm guessing it will not spin freely?

You guys may find this interesting. I was able to pull off the tensioner. Not exactly an easy job. Somebody must have replaced it previously with a Gates part. I'm the original owner, and remember having the belt changed, but not the tensioner.

Gates doesn't make the OEM do they? Racking my brain here.

I had bad luck with mine. 2012 CRV, electric power steering, car made in Japan. At only 20,000 miles (bought the car new), I could hear some soft clicks from the serpentine belt area, and I could see the belt move 1 mm sideways with the engine at idle. I decided original Honda replacement was the only way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back