Low cost, good all purpose grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need a new tub of general purpose type grease. It'll be used for antisieze on threaded fasteners (when I don't need/want the mess of real antisieze), general "dab a finger" lube, bike bearings and seatposts, maybe auto/trailer bearings but nothing currently in the fleet that has servicable bearings. In the past I've used Mobil 1 with fine results but I'm thinking about going with something which might be less prone to separation and also doesn't necessarily cost as much.

I use Mystik JT6 on boat trailer bearings and for all purpose …
Well, have an aluminum toolbox on the front of my utility trailer … about 2 PM in the blazing sun I pulled a tube from there … (tube has been in there for over a year) …

I've been using the SuperTech Moly grease from Wal-Mart for years. $2 or $3 a tube.

Dark grey... just about as all-purpose as one can get.

If using it for antiseize, I’d want one with a decent amount of moly in it.

But since it’s being used for that only, I’d just go for whatever can be had that’s cheapest.

O'reilly auto parts is the local Mystic distributor. Forgot about that, I'll have to swing in and see what tubs they have on the shelf.

Anybody experienced with GreenGrease of the Lucas Extreme? I like the water resistance but I think the green is just a heavily fortified overpriced lithium? ANd the Lucas is...Lucas, but its supposed to be urea? ANyways, probably getting into the fancier price range thats not worth it for this.

Originally Posted By: buck91

Anybody experienced with GreenGrease of the Lucas Extreme? I like the water resistance but I think the green is just a heavily fortified overpriced lithium? ANd the Lucas is...Lucas, but its supposed to be urea? ANyways, probably getting into the fancier price range thats not worth it for this.

Green Grease is good stuff, Not cheap but good for what it is. It is a lithium complex based grease but it acts more like a marine grease. It is very washout resistant and tacky. I use it on everything except high speed bearings.

The green grease is real sticky and tacky not for spinning bearings much chassis and stuff ok, the Lucas heavy duty grease is more smooth and buttery that works overall good.

Went through a tube of Valvoline multipurpose red stuff, won't buy it again. Ran out all drippy from the grease gun and from the zerks on my ball joints and tie rods. Messy crap.

Picked up a tube to replace it of Royal Purple ultra grease, seems more tacky and stable and is supposed to be great stuff. High temp rating means it would be great on wheel bearings too. A tube lasts me long enough may as well get the good stuff not the cheap stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back