98 buick lesabr e won t start,started clicks,what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!I just went out,and turned key,98 lesabre,and it kept clicking,the starter,engine wanted too start,but stopped.did this over like 15 minutes,engine won t turn,but I can hear the starter engaging.b.s.very seems ok,I changed the fuel filter 2_3 weeks ago..no leaks. The dashboard,theirs lights on,when engaging on,I noticed the speed indicator,moving across the dash.mean anything? STarter shot?

Clicking? Sounds like a lack of volts/amps. Check your battery connections and try jumping with a good battery, if that starts it, get new battery.

P.S. check the connections at the starter too.

Lol yeah.I have a battery,I got when I bought the car beat up used,last year.same battery,no history.it has a green check thingy ontop.it's green,I know if it was red,dead.shook battery few times.tried again just now,starting it.engine cranked,then stopped, started was making fast click noises non stop ,as long as I had ignition engaged.
I have a cheap test light i bought,years ago,advance auto? I can't make sense of it.can't find my ohm meter.....test itsvolts.
Though inmorning,I'll whack the starter few times,see what happens.the lights are not commit g,when left on.

I got a battery charge will take battery knees what the meter on it says.it's getting cold outnow,I'm in southwest c.whenever it gets cold,that's when things you don't want,too happen.

My money is on it needs a battery.

My mom had an 03' Buick Rendezvous that ate a battery every 18 months, a couple times the instrument cluster was buzzing and freaking out when it was dead. And it would click when trying to start too.

I replaced the terminals myself,April or may.their mar I e terminals.old ones,with car,positive one would come loose,one night the positive wire too terminal came off driving,right in front of police station!lol.got it back on,and got home.so,their new.I did buy normal terminals,but they will not reach the battery then,by some good inch i remember. The marine terminals,have that arm,that sticks out,you bolt wire into,so length not an issue.
I looked all over for my ohm meter,fire room apart.have no id e wear it is.

Measure voltage at starter, at battery, during cranking, go from there. This'll determine if it's battery/wiring, or the starter itself.

Last edited:
Ok!I have battery in kitchen, the heirs a code on top 31500 SEP A 12. September ,2012???
No name on the battery. I am using ,a Schumacher we 1275a batterycharger,on conventional,low maintenance,not deep cycle maintenance free. The needle,is on below 25% charge,but so far,woodworking too full charge side. Hope it is,just the battery.should I replace,a battery dated2012?

I popped the 2 covers off,where you check fluid level.they were low,so I added almost 2 cups! 8 oz each, of brit a filtered water..hey at least it's filtered tap! Filled them up too top,put covers on,charge went back too 0.sometimes apt going too 25%.

Well,I can hear the water in battery,with it charging.it shot up too full charge,took chargers off.waited 30 seconds,put them back on.charge reading 0, few minutes 25%...full charge. Doing it 3rd time now,same thing....0 charge,25% charge,them jumps too 100%,but...when I click the deep cycle,too conventional...dunno what it means.

Originally Posted by ziggy
Well,I can hear the water in battery,with it charging.it shot up too full charge,took chargers off.waited 30 seconds,put them back on.charge reading 0, few minutes 25%...full charge. Doing it 3rd time now,same thing....0 charge,25% charge,them jumps too 100%,but...when I click the deep cycle,too conventional...dunno what it means.

Be careful charging inside and unattended, it could boil over and put acid all over the place.

It's disconnected.I did the above process,4 times....researching chargers,it's at 0, 3 minutes it's at25%,then shoots up too full charge. Google's some vids,and the majority say 5 - 7 years.the inside could be coroded.Scotty kilmer...one of his vids. I do know,theirs p!ages in the battery,and could be not qualify metal,thus,corode away.took a lot of water!Didn't have any distilled water. Almost 2 cups. I!k check it's charge,in kitchen,am time.looks like it's new battery time,so far..

One life my batery,said we I 2012....it would be fine then. Battery goes through some extre.e conditions,New england.and over 6 years....

Originally Posted by ziggy
Hi all!I just went out,and turned key,98 lesabre,and it kept clicking,the starter,engine wanted too start,but stopped.did this over like 15 minutes,engine won t turn,but I can hear the starter engaging.b.s.very seems ok,I changed the fuel filter 2_3 weeks ago..no leaks. The dashboard,theirs lights on,when engaging on,I noticed the speed indicator,moving across the dash.mean anything? STarter shot?

I question the if this is legit. Statements are silly and don't make sense.. Fuel filter has nothing to do with cranking ability. If I am incorrect, you should get the battery tested. From the level of electrolyte as you described, my bet the battery is bad. Get it tested.

Last edited:
Go to Walmart and buy a valupower battery for $50. If they dont have your size get one with the posts' polarity in the same position on the battery as yours, that fits your tray.

I didn't read all replies and I also believe it's the battery however, did you try and WHACK the starter with a hammer(if you can reach it) or with a long pipe? Just reach down and give it a SMACK while someone tries to start the engine?

A common GM thing is the main ground off the negative terminal. Find it and clean it. Had it with my old rez beater Cavalier, which caused intermittent issues such as this. Could power the accessories but not enough to get the starter moving. I cleaned the ground and it was a new car. I was stranded and called my mechanic buddy and he told me about all the fun he has had on older GM vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back