Nexen Winguard Ice Plus Winter Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any reviews on the Nexen Winguard Ice Plus winter tires. I see a post about the sport tires but I would assume that is a different tire. I see them on sale and thought I should buy them as they are $76/each unmounted but my brother can install for free. 235/55R17 is the size.

It is fairly new, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. Seems like a good studless winter tire at a decent price.

Try them and let us know how they are
smile.gif

I have Nexen NPriz AH8 as OEM tires on my 2017 Elantra. Been very happy with them. Adequate traction, ride smooth, wearing well, and no balancing needed in 13k miles. I may get them again. I like the company more after reading it's history:

NEXEN HISTORY.

No experience with the Winguard Ice Plus but you might want to check out the Euro reviews from AutoBild and others who tend to do these reviews regularly.

I think that Nexen has turned into a company that is making increasingly better value tires. I recently bought some replacement Nexen AH8 Grand Touring tires ( mostly due to the dearth of offerings in the OEM size ) and have been very pleased with them after a trip to Oregon gave me an opportunity to get an idea of what they were like. Some of their recent offerings are highly rated.

Bumping this thread as I stumbled across an unreal deal on this tire while surfing for winter tire ideas. Can get a set of Ice Plus for $187.20 plus installation from Amazon. It's tempting. But it's hard to find reviews for this tire. Anyone have experience with them? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Zolton
I got the Nexen Winguard Sport 2, it's speed-rated.

The other Nexen snows are very tempting, I don't think you will regret it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nexen/WinGuard-Sport-2.htm

What happens if it snows and it melts?

Maybe you should quote all of the other results in the 2018 Autobild test, that gave it a 9th overall place out of 11 tires, instead of focusing on just dry braking.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-Autobild-UHP-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm

Maybe I should select my own tires, based on my own requirements.
lol.gif

Most people understand that any given tire will have it's own biases. WHY NOT GET A DEEP SNOW TIRE WITH STUDS??? lol.

Since most driving, for me, will be long highway trips on dry pavement, why wouldn't I get the best handling and quietest tire that is also appropriate for some light winter snow, please inform me.

It's sad to see it so often, a condition where grown men can't enjoy something unless it's "the best". It's really pathetic. Similarly, to assume they know more about "it" than the person making the choices for themselves.

"The Best" would be some deep snows to get out of the driveway, towing a trailer full of tires. Then stop n swap on some sport snows for the plowed sections, switch to all-seasons for secondary roads, then pull over again at the hwy on-ramp and switch again to performance tire for the 50F pavement for 100 miles each way to the city and back. That way I ALWAYS have the BEST tires for the job, right? The BEST part is that it will shut up the people yapping from the peanut gallery about my tire choice. Amen.

Mine were $300 for the set, my wife's $339. Overkill for our needs, where A/S is pretty much fine....but we are happy. Improving on regular A/S, hmm, I didn't see that as a BAD thing, but thanks for the brilliant insight!
thumbsup2.gif

Let's not forget that there are some bitogers that use "the best" tires, oil, and parts on some pretty unremarkable vehicles.

Wonder why it's ok to buy an old Buick instead of a new M5, but it's not ok to buy Nexens over Michelins.

Don't you want "the best?"

You do realize that rally teams have multiple sets of wheels and tires for a particular race, especially when it comes for winter. The teams will choose which wheel and tire that they think is best for the stages for that specific time period in between allowed pit stops.

If you're just driving primarily on dry roads and almost never see snow,.why not just stick to an regular all-seasons tire? They would be quieter on the road, handle better and last longer, as well as cheaper in the long term because you don't have to invest in a extra set of wheels

Last edited:
Except I have 6 extra sets of wheels laying around. If I wanted a set of deep snows, I would just get them, and another and another.

Best part about speed-rated snows, especially the BEST handing ones....after half worn instead of throwing them out, we can use them as all-seasons for the persistent cold/wet/frost seasons.

Better than the false economy of deep snows, useless after 1/2 tread.

Except I have 6 extra sets of wheels laying around. If I wanted a set of deep snows, I would just get them, and another and another.

Best part about speed-rated snows, especially the BEST handing ones....after half worn instead of throwing them out, we can use them as all-seasons for the persistent cold/wet/frost seasons.

Better than the false economy of deep snows, useless after 1/2 tread.

What tires are not speed rated? Q isn't speed rating?

All winter tires lose their main effectiveness after 1/2 tread

Do you not know? When someone refers to a tire being "speed rated" it means a tire that is H or greater.

Maybe read more and post less, yes?

Do you not know? When someone refers to a tire being "speed rated" it means a tire that is H or greater.

That's your opinion, not a fact.

So what is then T or Q?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back