Microwave Ovens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ours just conked out this month, after less than two years. Fortunately, I bought an extended warranty so we're going to get $200 off the price of a new one this weekend.

My question to you is, that the microwaves I've bought in the past, were in the below $200 range. We had to junk the previous one after 6 years, because the handle broke off and the door would no longer shut securely. I'm not sure if this is what happens when you buy cheap stuff, or this was just luck of the draw. But since the first one I bought was a Panasonic that lasted 12 years, I have been expecting more life out of them. The one that had the handle bust was a Sharp; this one was a China made GE.

I have two questions:
(1) If I buy microwaves in the above $200 range, would these be any better? Or are the more expensive models junk also?

(2) Regardless of the price, do you have any brands that you'd recommend?

The more expensive models are generally going to have:

1 - More features. Timer settings, cooking patterns, maybe stuff like convection etc...
2 - Better parts / more durable construction.
3 - More power (wattage) and / or insulation (sound / heat / vibration).

If you want to keep your microwave longer, spend the extra money, and you'll get more bells & whistles to go along with it. Win / Win

Our built in Amana went 12 years. Now we have a Kenmore, manufacturer unknown. I am hoping for another 12. Magnetron on the Amana went bad and burnt up the control card. Nothing is worth repairing nowadays. I could have bought a new magnetron and control card for $180 or a new machine for $300.

Last edited:
Our Panasonic Inverter microwave went over 10 years. I found out the model was still being made and was available at Walmart, so I went stright down there that morning and bought another one. I didnt even tell anyone I replaced it. It was several days before someone noticed the box in the garage with the old one and asked about it.

Last edited:
Our primary kitchen microwave is a Panasonic that has been going strong for 15 years. We have a second one in my man cave, it has been in service 8 years. Its the only brand I would consider.

I probably just cursed them by this praise.

Inexpensive GE wall mount that came with the house in 1996 still working fine.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Have a look at the Breville Quick Touch, that is going to be my next one in a few months.

I have a Breville espresso machine. It is top quality and I have owned a few other brands. Sometimes it pays to spend the extra money.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Originally Posted by Pelican
Have a look at the Breville Quick Touch, that is going to be my next one in a few months.

I have a Breville espresso machine. It is top quality and I have owned a few other brands. Sometimes it pays to spend the extra money.

As in the Breville large toaster convection over. I had one over 8 years and it was used at least daily in one way or another.
We gave that one to my son and just bought the Breville toaster/ convection oven/air fryer.

On microwave ovens...

Magnetrons are now made in China and nowhere the quality like the Japanese made.

My Sharp is 20 years old. The plastic door lever broke so I repaired it with steel wire and super glue. 1000+ watts and 1.0 or more cu ft is my only requirement. I keep this one running because it cooks perfectly, no cold spots and i am used to it. I've used others that are terrible, GE, Panasonic, so I am keeping this one as long as I can. I have a microwave leak meter and this one is still solid.

I bought a Panasonic, I think 1.1 cu. ft, with 900 watts power... with a pop-out time button and a stainless steel front face. I have a small space in a cabinet where it had to fit. Very unhappy with it. It apparently has "Inverter" cooking technology. Unhappy because it absolutely leaves cold spots. If I put a frozen meal in the micro that has slices of polenta ('kinda yellow grits, of sorts) - those (even thinly-cut) slabs remain frozen for the longest time, while everything around it is piping hot.

Really PO'd to find this.

Other Panasonic that was there, was higher wattage, and not at all fancy - but it totally did the job. Reason to have junked it - the perforations / vent at the top was rusting. Daughter insisted we make the change... I should have just scrubbed / painted the interior.

Sometimes Dad knows best.

We were happy with our Amana. Now happy with the Samsung we got for almost no money on a special holiday sale.

our expensive name brand OTR microwave burned up a power supply @ 1.5 years. I replaced it with the cheapest LG I could find. we got 14 years out of it and it was still working when we replaced it for a kitchen remodel.

Panny is good but it's all about the Sharp! We had and OLD one that my dad got used when I was a kid and it just broke a few years ago (20 years old, easy). My parents replaced it with a Panny because they are cheap, but I've always had my eye on the Sharp medium duty commercial microwave. I like the simplicity, and the lack of rotating table (PITA) intrigues me. I also never really use any of the features the microwave has, only changing the power level. Reheat sensor is nice, but I'm not really cooking anything in a microwave, I just use it to heat stuff up and make popcorn.

Originally Posted by paulri
Ours just conked out this month, after less than two years. Fortunately, I bought an extended warranty so we're going to get $200 off the price of a new one this weekend.

My question to you is, that the microwaves I've bought in the past, were in the below $200 range. We had to junk the previous one after 6 years, because the handle broke off and the door would no longer shut securely. I'm not sure if this is what happens when you buy cheap stuff, or this was just luck of the draw. But since the first one I bought was a Panasonic that lasted 12 years, I have been expecting more life out of them. The one that had the handle bust was a Sharp; this one was a China made GE.

I have two questions:
(1) If I buy microwaves in the above $200 range, would these be any better? Or are the more expensive models junk also?

(2) Regardless of the price, do you have any brands that you'd recommend?

Close the microwave door with hand always in contact with door handle. Don't fling it closed. Too many plastic parts.

Hahaha... My wife refuses to have or use a microwave. She heats up the entire oven to warm anything no matter how small. Dinner takes forever.

We moved into a new home a year ago and there is a microwave built into the cabinets with a light and a vent fan for the stove. Any time she thinks anyone warmed anything up in the microwave, she goes nuts. Same woman made me wire the house for internet because she won't have Wifi. It's very entertaining living at my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back