UV protection for Lexan headlight lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
^^What Stevie said. Use a good spray wax on them regularly.

No wax on any of my cars. Acrylic sealants, yes. That brings up a good point. Acrylic sealants do contain UV inhibitors. Surely not all sealant products are the same.

Originally Posted by Trav
Mine has UV Catholics in it.

lol.gif

I asked our helicopter maintenance guy what they use on polycarbonate canopies and windows. He uses PPG Aerospace® PR-1829 Sealant. It's expensive and a pain to apply, but I suppose if it meets the requirements for the protection of aircraft canopies and windows, it should suffice for a lowly ground vehicle.

PPG Aerospace PR-1829

A quick blast with the orbital polisher and your choice of car polish once every 6-months will have your lenses looking sharp all year around.

Use a little of your preferred synthetic sealant if you like (I top up each time I do the car (once every 1-2 months.) Cheap and effective, no special 'snake oil' required. Just common sense.

Regard
Jordan

Originally Posted by vavavroom
I asked our helicopter maintenance guy what they use on polycarbonate canopies and windows. He uses PPG Aerospace® PR-1829 Sealant. It's expensive and a pain to apply, but I suppose if it meets the requirements for the protection of aircraft canopies and windows, it should suffice for a lowly ground vehicle.

PPG Aerospace PR-1829

That stuff is more for sealing a aircraft window or canopy to the fuselage, almost like glazing compound.

It's been my experience that when the original coating is gone, there is nothing that can be applied that will prevent the lenses from hazing/yellowing again. You're better off just leaving them uncoated and repolishing them every few months to keep them clear...

Every light I have done with 2K clear is still looking like new some over 10 years. When ever I paint I remove the lights, prep them then shoot them with the clear along with other lights I have removed just for this job. I did 5 sets of lights one time.
This is one right after clear no buffing, it looks the same today a few years later, no waxing, protectants, sealants, wipes, nothing at all. The 2K is many times thicker than the OE thin coating and is UV resistant.

SAM_1504.JPG

Originally Posted by Trav
Every light I have done with 2K clear is still looking like new some over 10 years. When ever I paint I remove the lights, prep them then shoot them with the clear along with other lights I have removed just for this job. I did 5 sets of lights one time.
This is one right after clear no buffing, it looks the same today a few years later, no waxing, protectants, sealants, wipes, nothing at all. The 2K is many times thicker than the OE thin coating and is UV resistant.

With what brand 2K clear have you had good success?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back