repurposed firearms cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.
i carry a wad of nev'r-dull in a baggie in a firearms go-bag as a handy, lightweight cleaner. so far so good.

i found the maas in a pile of stuff that my elderly mom had, for silverware cleaning i imagine. would it have any use as a firearms cleaner? otherwise i pitch it. thanks guys for your collective wisdom.

929C9B01-AC4A-4D0D-A862-A41335511112.jpeg

1B28EC39-62AA-49A9-AAAD-F2594E27D287.jpeg

A4B8D532-E7EA-46CB-9D06-4E2801E5AB42.jpeg

I've used the Nevr-dull on bare aluminum wheels and it does a great job. When you say you clean with it, are you using it on the blued parts? JMO I would be a bit afraid of using it on bluing. IDK about the cremes but I'd probably be a little shy with those as well.

I use a similar polishing cream and have for years, to remove the black deposits at and around the end of the barrel in front of the cylinder of my revolvers. After a day at the range, this can be a heavy deposit that can otherwise be hard to remove. However, a little of the polishing creme on a Q-tip, and a fine textured rag worked back and forth will take this stuff right away.

I use both products. Nev'r Dull truly has 1,001 uses and it removes rust and tarnish as well as polishes and cleans. No way would I pitch it. Also good on knife blades. There is a very fine abrasive in a solvent I think naptha based. I use Maas too that is more limited in my opinion, but is a high quality metal polish paste. I also use green jeweler's rough on a wide thick leather belt (old weightlifting belt). That is as a strop for honing knife blades to razor sharp. Also, jeweler rough on a felt dremel tool will polish any small metal parts.

Nev'r Dull is OK on bluing in my experience have never seen 'blue' on a wad of it -- but I would never use MaaS on a blued surface it has too much cut. Nev'r Dull is especially good on a blued finish that is wearing and maybe tiny surface rust you would never notice or barely see is creeping in. It takes rust and tarnish right off of metal.

I use Nev'r Dull to remove rust spots and heavy deposits. For polish, I have tried most of them; Maas, Flitz, Simichrome, Brasso, ETC. Blue magic metal polish cream is what I use now. It works just as well as the others and is about 1/3rd the cost and easily availability right on the shelf next to Nev'r Dull at Wal-Mart and almost any auto parts store.

I just mixed up a batch of ‘gun oil' for my bulk supply quart, was getting low. The main ingredients were Royal Purple 0w synthetic motor oil and about 25% transmission fluid. I did add a touch of MMO, since I'm trying to get rid of it.

The net has a bunch of recipes, synthetic motor oil with some tranny fluid are commonly two main ingredients. Anyway, just an idea if someone is so inclined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back