Pentosin Pentofrost A2 vs Peak OET Asian

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked this question in another thread but I asked late in the thread and it seems to have gone unnoticed. I finally have decided between these two coolants for my Elantra (no longer considering Zerex Asian Blue due to only being available in 50/50). I can get both in full strength for about the same price. Product links:
Peak OET Asian Green
Pentofrost A2

My questions are:

1. Which is better in your opinion and why?
2. Does the A2 last as long as the OET? Nobody seems to know how long A2 can go. It just says "extended life." (Member MONKEYMAN is waiting on a response from Pentosin, but I'm betting they won't reply.)

My opinion is not a very educated one, as I have no experience with either brand. That being said, Pentosin seems to be the better/higher quality brand, and would be a whopping $1.25 cheaper. I'd just be gambling with the service life.

I don't plan on running either for 150K, but I don't want to run the A2 for 75K if it's only good for 30K. I'm going with the assumption that A2 is good for at least 75K. Peak OET is good for 5 years/150K. I'd probably change it at 75K (which is the 150K mile mark, assuming there aren't any cooling system failures beforehand). I also plan to monitor the coolant's health at least twice a year. With that said, assuming both are capable of lasting 5 years/75K, which should I buy?

All the PHOAT coolants seem to be good for at least 5 years/100K-so I would go with that. I know people that have run PHOAT the LIFE of the car and never changed it with no obvious ill effects!

The independent mechanic my wife has used for her Subaru runs A2 in Subarus of whatever years. It's one of those "NAPA Auto Center" places but the service writers and mechanics seem legit.

In terms of longevity, I think A2 is the green stuff, right? Not sure if that's meant for more than 60k in most vehicles. I'd still go by owner's manual, whatever that says. I know her Subaru says every 30k I think. She's done it about every 3 years which is about 50-60k miles because she puts a lot of miles on.

Is your Elantra a year that recommends the green or blue? I wouldn't personally use a coolant that wasn't OEM level/type.

Don't get the Peak. It is a 2-EHA Dexclone Deathcool faker
mad.gif

Out of those two, the Pentofrost is MUCH better. And don't forget the promo code
smile.gif

However, you should also consider the Recochem OEM Green which is on sale right now at Pep Boys. Plus, it's half the price of the other two
smile.gif

I ended up choosing the A2. What sealed the deal was getting extremely lucky and finding a clearance jug at my closest VatoZone for $10. It's going in before the end of the month. Assuming there's no cooling system failures sooner, I'll change it again at the 150k mark (75k run, will average 15-20k/year, so less than 5 years).

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Don't get the Peak. It is a 2-EHA Dexclone Deathcool faker...
I don't believe that to be the case. I emailed Peak about OET Asian AF when it first came out and asked about it and if it would be sold at places other than AZ. Looks like now may be sold at Napa. Unlike the new Prestone "Asian" AF, I've seen no evidence the topic Peak OET AF uses 2eha as an inhibitor. Afaik it's an Asian PHOAT like ZAF and WM Valvoline Asian vehicle.

That said, compared the ZAF and WM VAV and Pentosin at this point it's too expensive.

Originally Posted by tony1679
I ended up choosing the A2. What sealed the deal was getting extremely lucky and finding a clearance jug at my closest VatoZone for $10. It's going in before the end of the month. Assuming there's no cooling system failures sooner, I'll change it again at the 150k mark (75k run, will average 15-20k/year, so less than 5 years).

That is a great price! I paid $25 for my A2 at Rock Auto. My 2017 Elantra says FF can go 120k, but if doing severe service change sooner. I am thinking 5 years for me. Pentosin never got back with me, but from reading it looks like they let the manufacturer determine how often coolant change is recommended. In my Elantra it says 30k after you change it the first time, but I am thinking could go another 5 years since the A2 is pretty close if not the OEM coolant.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Don't get the Peak. It is a 2-EHA Dexclone Deathcool faker
mad.gif

Out of those two, the Pentofrost is MUCH better. And don't forget the promo code
smile.gif

The Peak Asian OET is the same as Zerex Asian. It's from CCI - who also makes GC coolants Worldpac sells to shops. Old World Industries and CCI Illinois have been partners for an long time, which explains why Peak's(and parts store brand coolant fullfilled by Old World) back panel labeling looks just like Toyota or Honda's labeling and they all have a 2-4 digit code on the front and back labels on a corner.

Prestone is still using 2-EHA/deconate in their Asian coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back