Brake and PS fluids–routine maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Silverado 2500HD with 100k miles.
Should I have power steering and brake fluids changed? All other fluids and maintenance are up to date. Plan to own for a long time, but have never changed these fluids before in other vehicles, and never suffered problems from it, even at much higher mileage.

Power steering fluid usually doesn't need to be changed.

Brake fluid I change when replacing the pads and rotors.

But most mfs don't even say anything about changing either. Honda says to replace the brake fluid every 3 years regardless of mileage (and notably, this is not indicated on the MM)

Most cars go to the junkyard with their original brake fluid and PS fluid. Most people never get either fluid changed.

My rule of thumb is 2 years/25,000 miles for both. If I'm changing pads, I change the brake fluid instead of waiting it out.

Mercedes recommends brake fluid changes every 2 years. When I had drum brakes, I didn't change the fluid that often and the rear wheel cylinders use to rust out. While the wheel cylinders were cheap, it did affect braking performance which isn't a good thing so it'd be wise to flush it. Maybe not as often as 2 years, but your whole braking system will probably last longer because the brake fluid will naturally absorb water from the heating/cooling process and your whole system will slowly rust out.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Most cars go to the junkyard with their original brake fluid and PS fluid. Most people never get either fluid changed.

My grandad smoked like a chimney until the day he died. I don't take that as a recommendation either.

I do brake fluid every two years. PS fluid gets swapped out with transmission fluid every 30K miles. PS fluid can go longer, but those are numbers that are working well for me.

I'll try to do a full brake bleed ~3 yrs but, even if I don't do a complete brake bleed, I'll open the bleeder valves and gravity bleed out the caliper piston area just enough to have fresh(er) fluid in that area.

Brake fluid absorbs water, which can cause corrosion. Service is part of my car's schedule.
PS fluid as well; but not as often.

Brake fluid every 2 years, PS fluid every 50K a return line off full exchange. Don't waste your time with turkey basters and other such nonsense that just dilutes dirty fluid.

I try to flush the brake fluid every 2-3 years. With both truck-based vehicles having 20" wheels and 265 tires, this is a major PITA. I sure do miss 14/15" wheels and tires... If I have a wheel off, I'm getting the wife or daughter out and I'm pushing some fluid through. Takes another 5-7 minutes to round up a jug, the 1/4" ID tube, wrench and grab a new small bottle of fluid.

It takes about 20 minutes for me to flush the power steering fluid completely out of our Toyotas. I try to do that every 2-3 years also. It's cheap, takes about 2-3 quarts of off the shelf trans fluid, a couple of hoses, etc.

A rack and pinion is $1500-2000.

No price for safe braking system.

Since I will not listen to broadcast TV or radio during election season, I usually flush the brakes and I pump all the fluid I can get out of the power steering reservoir, and transmission pan and replace with fresh. I is maybe 25% of the total fluid volume but way better than nothing. Never had to replace a transmission, rack or brake hard parts. Clean fluids are way better than old fluids.

Rod

I annually siphon out both and change. Just get what I can out of the resivours. When I do the brakes I siphon the fluid out of the mc, add new then crack the bleeders one by one to completely change the fluid. I have a 98 k2500hd with 454 and hydroboost. Braking is better with new ps fluid in there.

I bleed the brakes and clutch in my BMWs yearly, the Ford and Honda every 2 years. I change the power steering fluid in the BMWs and Honda every 3K to 5K mile OCI (Ford is electric). I change coolant every 2 years in the BMWs, every 3 or 4 years in the Honda.

Scott

Originally Posted by DONWATERS
I Braking is better with new ps fluid in there.

I think (hope) that's a typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back