Microsoft halts Windows update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by alarmguy
I AM CURIOUS, since you seem versed in Linux, IF YOU HAD TO RECOMMEND JUST ONE LINUX VERSION WHAT WOULD IT BE?

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu. Both of those are quite user-friendly and require less configuration and manual intervention than a typical Windows system. Mint might be more familiar for a Windows user. You can download it, write it to a bootable USB drive and try it out without so much as touching your internal HDD/ SSD:

Linux Mint - https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=254
Ubuntu, Mint's "parent" OS - is the world's most popular Linux distro for both desktops and servers/ VM - https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

You can make a bootable USB drive with a Linux OS .iso file by following the directions provided by the folks who make Ubuntu - https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows
(Just use the Linux Mint .iso instead of Ubuntu if you choose to try Mint)

I use Ubuntu, personally; and have it installed for about 15 family, friends and neighbours.

As I said, I hate all things google, the general population could care less about their privacy and freedom in the name of "free" stuff ... kind of dangerous if you think about it.
People start getting used to "free" stuff instead of working for it.

Note how much in Linux is free. It works both ways, of course. Some people want free and easy, as in easy to install, but and no money, but put up with adware, and much worse. Free also includes freedom. As for which Linux to use, for me, Ubuntu or Mint is fine by me. I've been running the same Mint 17 for a while now, and it might be time to do some upgrading and/or tweaking, but basically, it does all I want.

I do have a Windows partition at home, but I use that solely for gaming, and even that isn't what it was years ago. These days, it seems every big Windows game is also on PlayStation or XBox, and I'm not playing a console game on my computer. I miss the days of good sub sims, and flight sims on Linux are about the equal of Windows ones, so even that niche market isn't the draw.

bunnspecial: The problem I have with Apple's OS is that it is not open source.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
I AM CURIOUS, since you seem versed in Linux, IF YOU HAD TO RECOMMEND JUST ONE LINUX VERSION WHAT WOULD IT BE?

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu. Both of those are quite user-friendly and require less configuration and manual intervention than a typical Windows system. Mint might be more familiar for a Windows user. You can download it, write it to a bootable USB drive and try it out without so much as touching your internal HDD/ SSD:

Linux Mint - https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=254
Ubuntu, Mint's "parent" OS - is the world's most popular Linux distro for both desktops and servers/ VM - https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

You can make a bootable USB drive with a Linux OS .iso file by following the directions provided by the folks who make Ubuntu - https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows
(Just use the Linux Mint .iso instead of Ubuntu if you choose to try Mint)

I use Ubuntu, personally; and have it installed for about 15 family, friends and neighbours.

Thank you for taking the time by posting this. When time, who knows when, I am going to put a copy on an unused computer here and see how it goes.
I have an old Lenovo with an A4, an old HP with a Pentium 4 and a business Dell with an I5 and Win 7 which is only about less then 3 years old. Optiplex 790

None of these three are being used and honestly ready to be thrown in the garbage. I got the Optiplex from my wifes work place, they closed down a local office and set her up in our home, their were lots of computers sitting around and this one was almost new, I asked, they told me I could have it. I havent even turned it on and I think its password protected and tied to the company, so maybe I can just wipe the HD and start over?

I assume I should put it on the I5 ?

BTW, I see the new Windows 10 update is now released again and guess what? Warnings to people with HP computers that issues with them crashing/blue screen or unable to boot up.
MS acknowledges it... glad I downloaded my handy tiny program to block all updates until I click to update!

BTW my HP computer, best and fastest one I ever owned in 25 years, got for a present last Christmas WAS doing the same thing as is happening now to some people with the new Windows update. My computer would randomly reboot, no reason, no particular usage, no one could figure it out at MS or HP.
First time in TWENTY FIVE years I had to send a computer in for warranty service.

Well, they replaced the processor AMD A12 ( I do believe something damaged it/overheated it BUT that was due to whatever was causing the issue.
Anyway, 3 weeks later, same thing happened. I did ONE more fresh install of Win 10 from MS and it never happened again.

Thanks again, off to work I go...

Last edited:
I havent even turned it on and I think its password protected and tied to the company, so maybe I can just wipe the HD and start over?

When you boot from a Linux USB, you can use it "live" (ie. run the OS right from the USB drive) and you can install it. The installation will offer to wipe and re-partition your HDD/ SSD for you.

So i just checked mine and it is version 1809 from 10/2.
Laptop shows no abnormalities whatsoever.
Which version is supposed to have problems?

No problem. The Optiplex should be able to run something fairly modern with Linux, just don't go overboard with a desktop package. I'd use something like the Mate package with it, with Mint or something like that. The Pentium 4 you could probably use an older version of Ubuntu, if you so chose to get it running. I had a 4 and had no problems. All the older versions are readily available on the official sites. Heck, I got an old P3 running with Ubuntu 6.06 dual booted with FreeDOS.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by 97tbird
So i just checked mine and it is version 1809 from 10/2.
Laptop shows no abnormalities whatsoever.
Which version is supposed to have problems?

Build 1809 has the problem. I have it in a laptop, the installation was a PITA. I started from scratch and then put the data in from a back up. I'm wondering now if the updates will correct any bugs, or if the OS has to be installed again. I've just about all of the little faith I had in MSFT over the years.

I started out with Mint, but mostly use Ubuntu now. On an old dual core Thinkpad and the i5 Hp 6300 I am using now. As far as learning I got tired of all the extra steps to maintain Windows, then Windows update issues, etc. I can install Ubuntu in 30 minutes, have it configured the way I want it, and be cruising BITOG. Try that with a fresh install of Windows!

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN

I started out with Mint, but mostly use Ubuntu now. On an old dual core Thinkpad and the i5 Hp 6300 I am using now. As far as learning I got tired of all the extra steps to maintain Windows, then Windows update issues, etc. I can install Ubuntu in 30 minutes, have it configured the way I want it, and be cruising BITOG. Try that with a fresh install of Windows!

Spot on!!

Thanks everyone, soooo ... it sounds like since everyone seems to start with Mint that would be the best way to go for now?

I am going to try this but I dont have a lot of time to fool around with it and why I am asking all the questions first.
Winter is on its way and I am sure this year I will try loading this on one of my older computers and getting rid of the rest of them.

I just want to try the most simple version that is close to what Windows would be. Meaning shorter learning curve, for now.
I just keep seeing all these post from people how they like linux and want to give it a try.

Is it just as secure as Windows or should like leave banking ect for Windows?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN

If I could turn on my Dell Desktop and the first window I see gives me an option to use either Windows 10 or Ubuntu that particular morning, then I would install - then load Ubuntu and try it-out.

OR.... if I could keep Windows 10 loaded and use a Ubuntu-loaded flashdrive-insert in my Dell desktop that already has Windows 10 loaded, then I would try Ubuntu.

BUT..... if I must rid my Dell Desktop of Windows 10, in order to install Ubuntu, then I do not want it. My computer is six years old and runs perfect on Windows 10, formerly Windows 8. It runs like it is brand new. Not sure what you-people are doing to your Windows systems to ruin Windows 7,8 or 10. Perhaps you are using them for commercial or business work. Mine is built and used for entertainment-only purposes (Windows 10 Home).

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
If I could turn on my Dell Desktop and the first window I see gives me an option to use either Windows 10 or Ubuntu that particular morning, then I would install - then load Ubuntu and try it-out.

1) If you want to try a Linux-based OS you can boot from a "Live" Linux USB drive. During your time working with that booted-from USB drive your HDD or SSD is never even touched. Once you're done noodling around with the OS and shut down, and boot back up from your HDD/ SSD your (Windows) system will never even know anything happened.

2) If you want to "dual boot" you certainly can... HOWEVER Windows does not tend to play nicely with this. First, you HAVE to install the non-Windows OS second, as Windows will commandeer the boot sector all for itself during its installation. This, of course, on its own, is not a problem: You simply install the Linux OS second (You have to reserve some space for your Linux OS during the Windows "disk partitioning" portion of its installation.) The problem has arisen, I have heard, during a Windows *update* which decides to *re*-commandeer the boot sector. That stinks.

3) You can also always install VirtualBox or some other virtualization application. This will allow you to run the "virtual" OS within a windows of the "host" OS. Here is an image I found Googling that shows a Windows-looking OS (?) as "host" with an Ubuntu "guest":

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

BUT..... if I must rid my Dell Desktop of Windows 10, in order to install Ubuntu, then I do not want it. My computer is six years old and runs perfect on Windows 10, formerly Windows 8. It runs like it is brand new. Not sure what you-people are doing to your Windows systems to ruin Windows 7,8 or 10. Perhaps you are using them for commercial or business work. Mine is built and used for entertainment-only purposes (Windows 10 Home).

I was a Windows only user until Windows 8. Bought a Optiplex 755 loaded with Windows 8. Hated 8. It had enough and tried Mint. Have not looked back. But if I had a Windows 10 machine working like new I would leave it be. I have Windows 10 on a Optiplex 760. Very useful for some things. Having a learning disability Windows PDF speaking text out loud made my life a lot easier. I need it for some work stuff. Linux did not work for some things. Linux has worked extremely well for surfing, secure banking, forums, mp3 files, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back