Email from Amazon Sign in code--hacked or what's going on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an email from Amazon.

"Your sign-in code is:

XXXXXX

Amazon takes your account security very seriously. Amazon will never email you and ask you to disclose or verify your Amazon password, credit card, or banking account number. If you receive a suspicious email with a link to update your account information, do not click on the link—instead, report the email to Amazon for investigation.

We hope to see you again soon."

Have no idea why I am getting this. Did a quick net search, and people are reporting on Reddit getting the same email. Amazon hacked or what?

If the "Amazon System" thinks that you are suddenly accessing your account from a different computer, the login process will send that email to your email address on-file. It will not let you into your account until you enter that access code.

This could be a case where someone else is trying to login to your Amazon account. Since they are doing it from a different computer, Amazon is challenging the attempted login.

This happens to me a lot because I change my external IP address frequently.

Ray

Change your email password immediately. If someone has that email password and they just tried to sign into Amazon but needed a verification code (the one you got sent by email) they read the same email you did, are now logged into your Amazon account too and possibly changed your password then ordered a bunch of stuff. If you have your credit card saved to your Amazon account someone could be buying themselves merchandise or gift cards. Don't click on any links. Just change your email password then see if you can log into Amazon. Then I would change the Amazon password too.

someone probably trying to hack your amazon account.

I'd change your email password and amazon password

Last edited:
My mom always gets these and texts me all freaked out. When I look at the email, the "name" is always Amazon, but the actual address is something like "[email protected]" (humor is mine). Then I point it out to her, and she feels silly again, and I congratulate her for emailing me BEFORE clicking on the link to sign her life away.

I got a text earlier with an Amazon 2-step verification code, when I had not attempted to login. I called home, and nobody there had either. Reset my password to be sure. This makes me even more curious.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
My mom always gets these and texts me all freaked out. When I look at the email, the "name" is always Amazon, but the actual address is something like "[email protected]" (humor is mine). Then I point it out to her, and she feels silly again, and I congratulate her for emailing me BEFORE clicking on the link to sign her life away.

+1 who is the sender? Copy and paste here.

I got one of these emails around 6:30pm central time today.

My amazon account seems ok. Maybe a system wide glitch?

This could be the latest phishing scheme by internet varmints. With the holidays coming up the timing is right for them.

I received the same email a couple of days ago and I had Amazon customer service contact me regarding it. Amazon confirmed that it was sent by them and explained that an email like that can be triggered by many things - deliberate fraud, another customer typing in a similar name or password (but off a character or two as a result of a typo), too sensitive settings in their security software, system glitch on their end, etc.

I was told the safest thing to do was to change my password ASAP and they even offered to email a link to the "change your password webpage".

I went ahead and changed my password just to be safe.

The one thing I noticed right away about the email was the lack of a clickable link to anywhere.

Originally Posted by PimTac
This could be the latest phishing scheme by internet varmints. With the holidays coming up the timing is right for them.

This.

Just delete any emails like that and move on.

Got that too. It seems like a real email directly from Amazon... not phishing. I changed my Amazon and associated Email passwords by going directly to the respective websites... never click links in emails to do so.

Last edited:
(I do this thing for a living)

So this is called 2 Factor Authentication - and if Amazon thinks there's anything new or unusual about a login attempt as you - like someone typo's their account name and tries to login as you, or someone IS out to hack you, or you buy a new iPad and login to Amazon from it .. then they'll text you a code you'll need to enter in order to complete the login process. So unless the hacker (if its a hack) has access to your phone, you're fine.

If you do a web search for 'amazon sign in code email', you'll see that many reports popped up on 10/16 about this. My guess is still on system bug rather than phishing or hack attempt.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Everyone should have two factor authentication turned on.

Absolutely,yes!

It [censored] me off when a sensitive site does NOT offer 2FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back