2012 Mercedes - wheel bolts instead of studs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2001 Volvo S40 had the bolts. I kind of preferred it, although it would be terrible with a heavier wheel/tire combo like on a truck. Easy brake and rotor changes though.

Fiat (and Lada) use a pin on the drum or rotor locating bolt that you can hang the wheel on...Volvo also uses a pin, and the wheel only fits in one location.

I'm surprised no one talked about the new Jeeps that use them. Looking at you Fiat Renegade! Otherwise VWs, BMWs, and Mercedes are the main ones.

If the wheel is centered buy using the machined center of the hub, then the bolts are used ONLY to hold the wheel to the hub. This is considered to be more precise that using studs with conical nuts. That I believe is the philosophy of using the machined hub and is what is used in race cars. Ed

When the untrained kid at the tire place cross treads one you have a very expensive repair ahead. Good luck getting your tire vendor to repair it correctly.

Knocking out a stud is usually pretty easy, of course I have seen that badly botched too. Still, I would take my chances..

Rod

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
When they corrode and rust away, what's cheaper and easier to replace: studs or bolts?

I've never seen that as a wholesale problem, not enough to be a deciding factor between the two designs.

Looks like I will be the first one to say "The Emperor Has No Clothes" here!

Two pages of replies without ever questioning why and what are the advantages except "Weit zdo zlike zit"

I've changed thousands of tires/wheels, and I hate all of the cars that come from across the pond, that all seem to use concentric lock lug bolts.. For one, even after you finally get everything lined up, there is no way to get the bolt started easily, unless you put it in a deep socket, just to get it started into the hole. Studs have their issues too.

Last edited:
Some German machines (e.g., Porsche) have ball seat wheel bolts.

afaik they serve to help avoid gouging pricey alloy wheels and ensure bolt torque generates actual clamping loads as opposed to mere friction 'torque.'

482002_x800.jpg

Originally Posted by splinter
Some German machines (e.g., Porsche) have ball seat wheel bolts.

afaik they serve to help avoid gouging pricey alloy wheels and ensure bolt torque generates actual clamping loads as opposed to mere friction 'torque.'

Vikas asked for an actual advantage for bolts over lug nuts, and voilà here it is.

Had them on 3 modern Volkswagens ('03, '06 and '15) and on 2 modern MB's. ('09 and now '11 in my sig). After a few flat changes, some tire rotations and removal and reinstall for general maintenance I don't find them an issue at all. Just hang them on the hub and rotate into position then hold the bottom with your knee and top with your hand while you thread a bolt or two. You get the hang of it after one go around.

When I first encountered these I looked the up and like someone above the tales you read online is that they are more precise in centering to the hub. I say a tale because I just can't image lug bolts vs nuts would make any drastic difference.

I don't mind them one bit, I've survived without a helper tool but next time I'm pulling wheels off my '11 I'll scrub the toolkit. Didn't know it was a thing and I'm sure all my prior cars had them.

Po-tay-toh
Po-tah-toh

Both have some pros and cons; I for one still dislike lifting heavy truck wheels onto studs, even with leverage and stuff, but I haven't seen many medium and heavy duty trucks with lug bolts. Hub-centric wheels and bolts are/would be easier there. With cars it's moot, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back