Dealing with my younger sister

Status
Not open for further replies.
She should be in a rehab program and follow up with a support group daily. Heroin and cigarettes are the hardest addiction to overcome.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
If I had a recovering addict in the house who's worst offences were being nude and hacking darts I would be satisfied with that. At least she is not stealing and on the medication, how can you really ask for more than that at least in the short term.

Best way to not do drugs is to be at work where you can't do them.

+1

Doesn't seem all that bad, could be worse. Could be prostituting and living on the streets doing heroin. If the worst thing she's doing is tanning naked when she thinks she's alone and is a slob with a laundry hamper and she has a job, then I'm glad to hear she's doing good.

There's a lot of messed up people in the world, and seems like an ever increasing level of drug and alcohol abuse as a "coping mechanism".

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
There's a lot of messed up people in the world, and seems like an ever increasing level of drug and alcohol abuse as a "coping mechanism".

That might be a reason but its not an excuse.

People need to learn skills they can use to cope with the ups and downs of life. God never promised a rose garden for each person.

I agree
Originally Posted by Donald
Remember as the sign says, addiction is not a choice but a disease.

I agree there is a strong urge to use it has to be surpressed. A person can stop placing something in their mouth or into their body

Sounds like she might need mental help too-is she depressed from the loss of her basketball career? That could be the cause of the addiction issues, or at least is contributing to them. I have a BIL who was/is a MAJOR painkiller addict, to the point of holding up pharmacies and going to prison-which likely has saved his life. Couldn't measure up to his (now deceased) family's expectations.

Do go to Al-Anon meetings they are all over. It's not just for alcohol, although there is nar-anon too. Let the small stuff go.. You are her brother she looks up to you no matter what. Be there for her, no matter what, that's what she needs, a rock. She knows what she is doing wrong.

She is your sister and she probably does not understand what she is doing, an addict, bipolar, other any other issues can render a person incapable of making rational decision.
Take a deep breath bro, you can do it. Get her involved with the right group as suggested, it is hard but you guys could tag team and keep her on track bro.

Its a very slippery slope that folks have a hard time getting out of once involved when using that poison.

Partial blame goes to many doctors that wrote prescriptions for pain medication and handed them out like candy on Halloween.

Florida had lots of pill mills with people standing in line at 6 AM waiting for the doors to open. DEA had to raid and shut them down.

Hopefully the car she received last summer (2017) is still running ok. I'd be checking fluid levels on it often and probably changing the oil when the car is around.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
My dad is buying one of my sisters a new car and left it up to me what to get her since I'm a mechanic (semi) by profession.
She is driving a well worn 94' Camry. She lives alone, her kids are grown and doesn't need anything large.
The car needs to be reliable so she can make it to the clinic 6 days a week. Lives in Toledo and deals with snow every winter.
But they do a good job clearing the main roads when it snows. She can drive a stick, but I'm not sure if she would like it.
Dad said it has to be new and would prefer to keep it under $25k. I'm not sure whats out there.

UPDATE: My dad got her a new 4 door 2017 Subaru Impreza Premium yesterday.
Because of her past, he owns the car but is "renting" it to her so she cant do something dumb like get a title loan for it.

I visited my dad today and she swung by with her new car.
Very nice car. It's the first time I noticed the 2017 redesign in person. The interior is much better than my WRX was. It's rated 28 city, 38 highway.
It came with a Rockford Fosgate audio system and sounds really good. It has a CVT. It has 16" alloys with the ever common 205/55/16's. They are now making the Impreza in Indiana which is good. I really like the car and hope it serves her well.

My sister is a recovering heroin addict. She was injured playing college basketball, put on opioids which led to her using heroin.

Opioids are nasty and powerfully degenerating. Methadone is not a solution. Supervised injection sites are not solutions. your sister is never going to straighten up with such powerful neurophysiology controlling her like a robot and threatening her with potentially fatal withdrawals.

So, I guess understand that and realise she'll be of the mental self-disciplne capacity of a 3 year old. There's only one way to go and that's weaning off the stuff and maintaining the ramp down with the discipline of Zeus himself. Really a rough story to hear about though, I wish you the best.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I
Partial blame goes to many doctors that wrote prescriptions for pain medication and handed them out like candy on Halloween.

ABSOLUTELY they're partially to blame, just as mercenary terrorists are partially to blame. The program starts at a higher level, though. The docs are just greedy soulless goons accepting the kickbacks, bribes, compensations and instructions to foist traps onto unsuspecting people that have insurance plans and money.

It's the crack epidemic for higher class and suburban people. There's money in sales, there's money in perpetual treatments, there's money in litigation, there's money in enFORCEment... there's something in it for everyone. Except the ones paying the price with their lives and livelihoods.

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
It's the crack epidemic for higher class and suburban people. There's money in sales, there's money in perpetual treatments, there's money in litigation, there's money in enFORCEment... there's something in it for everyone. Except the ones paying the price with their lives and livelihoods.

There's no money for the insurance company, there's no money in public law enforcement, and there's no money in it for local businesses when the town starts turning into a dump.

Originally Posted by Bud
Your house and you should be setting the rules and enforcing them. She can't or won't abide, send her packing. Harsh to some, but don't be a doormat for anyone. If you put up with it you can't complain.

The only way to do it.

Originally Posted by spasm3
What you permit, you promote.

Not a political statement..... but in Canada, they have clinics to allow heroin addicts to shoot up in a 'safe' environment with to prevent people from dying in the streets from deadly tainted heroin from drug dealers and HIV rate increasing.

There's a YouTube video of this craziness of the out right acceptance and promoting of these safe clinics.
smirk.gif

It's true, they give out clean drugs and then supervise them in 'safe consumption' sites. I have one about 1 mile from where I work.

So an addict come in multiple times a day, push the envelope each high, without worry. Instead of rolling the dice on a bad batch or OD, complete freedom to indulge.

End result: more people use the site everyday, publicly high people increasing, stray dirty needle numbers increasing in a 5 block radius, high people using the outside as a public toilet, surrounding businesses packing up and moving, shockingly the percentage of addicts rehabilitated remains unchanged.

...what Einstein thought that would be a great idea?

In the video "You can't change for anyone else, you have to change for yourself" ...as she shoots up. Pretty much wraps it up in a nutshell.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
It's true, they give out clean drugs and then supervise them in 'safe consumption' sites. I have one about 1 mile from where I work.

So an addict come in multiple times a day, push the envelope each high, without worry. Instead of rolling the dice on a bad batch or OD, complete freedom to indulge.

End result: more people use the site everyday, publicly high people increasing, stray dirty needle numbers increasing in a 5 block radius, high people using the outside as a public toilet, surrounding businesses packing up and moving, shockingly the percentage of addicts rehabilitated remains unchanged.

...what Einstein thought that would be a great idea?

In the video "You can't change for anyone else, you have to change for yourself" ...as she shoots up. Pretty much wraps it up in a nutshell.

The numbers probably used to drop because the addicts use to die off. Now new addicts end up showing up and the old ones don't end up dying so now you end up with more addicts. I think in our state there were about 2000 drug overdose deaths last year and over 20k emergency calls for drug overdoses.

No opinions, just facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back