Top end teardown 73 Bonneville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's what was/is cool about them. It's really a 650 sized frame with more grunt. They are a lot of fun to ride
laugh.gif

I race Triumphs and have a Triumph for a street bike but do have later model Ducatis...Considering the age and mileage, the crankcases need to be split , the crankshaft removed and the sludge trap cleaned..This is not being overly fussy, the oil supply to the rod bearings is most likely already restricted.....

Originally Posted by Truckedup
I race Triumphs and have a Triumph for a street bike but do have later model Ducatis...Considering the age and mileage, the crankcases need to be split , the crankshaft removed and the sludge trap cleaned..This is not being overly fussy, the oil supply to the rod bearings is most likely already restricted.....

AHRMA?

I helped some friends race in an AHRMA real roadracing event years ago. It was a lot of fun, but the location was only used one time, as some residents didn't like the inconvenience of roads being closed.

Originally Posted by 02SE

AHRMA?

I helped some friends race in an AHRMA real roadracing event years ago. It was a lot of fun, but the location was only used one time, as some residents didn't like the inconvenience of roads being closed.

Land speed racing, The bike I built held the 650 modified production record for about four years..I know several guys racing Triumphs in AHRAMA...

Originally Posted by 02SE

AHRMA?

Land speed racing, The bike I built held the 650 modified production record for about four years..I know several guys racing Triumphs in AHRAMA...

I've helped several people with LSR Motorcycles, and know/have known quite a few more. Most were/are running Hayabusa's. Turbocharged, all-motor, and/or Nitrous. Do you run Bonneville, and/or the paved mile events?

I race on the paved 1-1/2 mile track in Maine and the now closed one mile track in Ohio...We might make it to the one mile track in Arkansas this summer...Bonneville is 5000 miles round trip but it's not impossible.
My 650 Triumph looks like this..It's not much good in the snow,lol...

[Linked Image]

I also recently built this double 650 engine Triumph land speed racer....Made a few passes shake down passes at 142 MPH but had an oil pressure issue on the front engine.That's been corrected...It'll be back on the track this summer, Should run around 155 MPH, the class record for 1350 cc pushrod class is between 152 -165 on the various tracks...Yeah that me, lol..

[Linked Image]

That's cool. I love the ingenuity that the LSR racers I've known have.

Dave Owen (DaveO) was a friend. I was an acquaintance of Bill Warner (may they rest in peace), and know several more people that run under the ECTA.

Good luck with your efforts.
thumbsup2.gif

For those that wanted to see the bottom of the cylinder head, I did actually have a shot from before the headwork that I forgot about.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Back together now. Not going for a full restoration but just back on the road for our short season.

I race on the paved 1-1/2 mile track in Maine and the now closed one mile track in Ohio...We might make it to the one mile track in Arkansas this summer...Bonneville is 5000 miles round trip but it's not impossible.
My 650 Triumph looks like this..It's not much good in the snow,lol...

[Linked Image]

I also recently built this double 650 engine Triumph land speed racer....Made a few passes shake down passes at 142 MPH but had an oil pressure issue on the front engine.That's been corrected...It'll be back on the track this summer, Should run around 155 MPH, the class record for 1350 cc pushrod class is between 152 -165 on the various tracks...Yeah that me, lol..

[Linked Image]

Where is the "like" button?

Last edited:
Been giving some serious thought to a new (to me, 2017, or later) Truimph Street Twin or T100 with a TEC aftermarket cam kit
laugh.gif

Prolly have to wait a year or so for more used ones to show up ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Been giving some serious thought to a new (to me, 2017, or later) Truimph Street Twin or T100 with a TEC aftermarket cam kit
laugh.gif

Prolly have to wait a year or so for more used ones to show up ...

I would go for the 1200. The modern Triumphs are nice, though.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
I'll be working on this for next year's project.

Very nice!

The 73 is back together, valves adjusted and timing set:

Gotta love right side shifters. My Bonny circa the same time frame has that tank paint. Was lovely
smile.gif

Silverado12 that's a beauty and a great bike
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I bought a new Bonnie with right side shifter in 75. It cost only £750. Story was the US would no longer accept bikes with gear change on the right so there was a stockpile of bikes being sold cheap in the UK. It had the same US spec tank with that fabulous paint job. Wish I still had it.

I still have one bike right shift and down for up - I never make a mistake. It's so more logical than what the US forced onto the rest of the world.

Was helping a friend with his '72 650 the other day, drum front brake. It had a 9 stud head, the casting was there for the 10th stud...maybe only the 650 was 9 stud ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back