Pickup Truck Door Freezing Shut

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI

GM pickup, water getting down into rubber door seal, freezing door shut.

Anything better than WD-40, spray silicone, or silicone grease?

Put paste wax on the painted side of things. Don't even polish it in, cake it on.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Vaseline?

Don't believe that would be too good on that rubber compound. Here is the stuff we used in the aviation world. Dow Corning DC-4. Even though it says electrical insulating compound, it's silicone. We found a lot of uses for it including keeping door seals from freezing in the winter. Just takes a very thin film wiped on with a rag. Pretty sure it's the same stuff as spark plug boot grease. Spray silicone just doesn't put enough of a layer on the rubber to work well. This does.

Here is the link where you can order it from Amazon:

Dow DC-4 Amazon

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Vaseline?

I'd say white lithium grease before Vaseline...just my take!

Going this route, anything clear or white will be less noticeable on your clothing as you would be walking around with grease stains.

Stick with Gummi Pflege.

Originally Posted by jetmech1
Vaseline?

Don't believe that would be too good on that rubber compound. Here is the stuff we used in the aviation world. Dow Corning DC-4. Even though it says electrical insulating compound, it's silicone. We found a lot of uses for it including keeping door seals from freezing in the winter. Just takes a very thin film wiped on with a rag. Pretty sure it's the same stuff as spark plug boot grease. Spray silicone just doesn't put enough of a layer on the rubber to work well. This does.

Here is the link where you can order it from Amazon:

Dow DC-4 Amazon
I've seen people recommend on another forum that you spray a rag with the silicone spray so that whatever solvents/propellants are in the spray evaporate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back