Fumoto drain valve-a few concerns

I'm sure this has come up in the past.I am leasing a 2018 Subaru with the 2.5L engine and I would like to add a Fumoto oil drain valve to make the job of changing my oil cleaner and maybe a little quicker.My concerns with the valve are leaking and construction.I know there must of been a few that got past quality control but for the most part most leave the factory the way they should.Do you get most if not all of the oil when draining?The Valve is made of brass.With hot/cold temperatures can the valve crack/split to allow leaks to happen?Alot of people like them.thanks Joe

I've had one on each of my vehicles for the past decade. The only leak was the first one, when I only snugged it up. Tightened it properly at the next oil change and not a single issue from then on!

Fumoto runs special pricing near Black Friday. For Amazon, keep an eye on the price using camelcamelcamel.com

I have 9 of them in use in our families vehicles and have only had issue with 1 shortly after installation that would drip every so often and the company warrantied it. This was over 10 years ago and I haven't had any issues since. The valves are made of high quality brass and have stainless steel parts inside. They stand up well to all the salt on our roads in the winter.

Last edited:
I have one on my Elantra and have no issues with it. It's been on for nearly 20k miles now.

Way back ('70's?) they were taboo because they leaked occasionally. Today they're made of "today's materials".

The consideration is vulnerability. I put one on my neighbor's 2010 Accord 4 cyl. and it is in the shadow of many parts thus protected.

The configuration of my car would leave it sticking down unprotected so I will never have one as much as i want one.

Oh well....

I have never had an issue with one leaking.
I would recommend only using one if the location is well protected from road debris.
I have had one on my Tacoma since new (almost 150k) and on our XJ Cherokee for about 40k
They do take a little longer to drain, but I just walk away and come back later or sit down and drink a beer. No hurry.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
The Hindenburg had a Fumoto.

Along those lines I had one on my Saturn and burned valve #3 and replaced the motor. Had no relationship to the Fumoto valve that worked flawlessly. One SaturnFans member used one over 500k on his Saturn and 500k on a Volvo with no issues. One reason I started using one.

I use something similar now called EZ Oil Drain Valve. It was a little cheaper and works just as good as Fumoto. My Fumoto did leak on the second Saturn motor but a new gasket fixed that.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
The Hindenburg had a Fumoto.

Along those lines I had one on my Saturn and burned valve #3 and replaced the motor. Had no relationship to the Fumoto valve that worked flawlessly. One SaturnFans member used one over 500k on his Saturn and 500k on a Volvo with no issues. One reason I started using one.

I use something similar now called EZ Oil Drain Valve. It was a little cheaper and works just as good as Fumoto. My Fumoto did leak on the second Saturn motor but a new gasket fixed that.

Just razzing the Fumoto fanatics. They seem to work well.

I heard the Hindenberg was also using a Purolator filter, and they were extending their oci without using uoa.

They do have downside like oil draining slow.

The last oil change I opened my EZ Valve with engine warm and took a nap. On my car I can just reach under and open it even though it is protected by a plastic cover.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN

They do have downside like oil draining slow.

The last oil change I opened my EZ Valve with engine warm and took a nap. On my car I can just reach under and open it even though it is protected by a plastic cover.

Agreed.

I typically slide the pan in, reach under to open the valve (without having to remove any plastic under-trays), and then walk away to take care of other chores for an hour or two. Works nicely and minimizes the time I'm wasting, watching that stupid thing drizzle....then lightly drizzle...then rapidly drip...then slowly drip...you get the point.

Originally Posted by StevieC
He can take it with him and re use it.

And it's not like this is a vehicle with 10k OCI's. Depending on the lease length, he could be changing the oil 5 times or more by the time he turns it in. $2X.XX for something like this seems totally worth it, considering all of the other crap I buy that provides less benefit...

Here is a picture of mine.

I am not crazy about how low it hangs, but mine is covered by a splash guard.

I made a video of room-temp oil draining from it:
https://youtu.be/dp3NO6LstYs

A26CFF16-3473-4B7D-AE58-22D3A454BFAE.jpeg

Was there ever a rough estimate on how much oil is left behind when using a Fumoto? I've used them in the past and had no issues. But I never checked to see how much oil remains in the pain.

I have had 5-6 Fumoto's (2 currently in use, one on the F150 and one on the xB) and recently tried the EZ Drain on the Santa Fe.
I notice no difference between the 2 aside from the looks (Fumoto is brass, EZ Drain is nickle plated brass).

Never had one leak. Never had one issue at all with them.
As for oil remaining in the pan, it depends on the vehicle. I know I had one in my '02 Jeep Wrangler, and I took the valve out one time to see how much remained, and is was not much (2-3 oz at most).
For the time to drain, it takes maybe 2-3 minutes more to drain vs without the Fumoto, not a huge deal IMO, and worth not getting as messy, having to find the right wrench, and having to worry about stripped/crossthreaded drain bolts.
There is also the issue of drain plug placement, on a vehicle that has the plug on the bottom of the pan, you have the issue of the Fumoto hanging down and getting hit.

Originally Posted by blupupher
I have had 5-6 Fumoto's (2 currently in use, one on the F150 and one on the xB) and recently tried the EZ Drain on the Santa Fe.
I notice no difference between the 2 aside from the looks (Fumoto is brass, EZ Drain is nickle plated brass).

Never had one leak. Never had one issue at all with them.
As for oil remaining in the pan, it depends on the vehicle. I know I had one in my '02 Jeep Wrangler, and I took the valve out one time to see how much remained, and is was not much (2-3 oz at most).
For the time to drain, it takes maybe 2-3 minutes more to drain vs without the Fumoto, not a huge deal IMO, and worth not getting as messy, having to find the right wrench, and having to worry about stripped/crossthreaded drain bolts.
There is also the issue of drain plug placement, on a vehicle that has the plug on the bottom of the pan, you have the issue of the Fumoto hanging down and getting hit.

Thanks. I've never had an issue with them as well. They always worked well and it was nice for sampling. No mess either. I can only see potentially a very small amount of oil remaining in the pan.

I always used the blue washer it comes with too.

I don't see a need for these things but I do see how they might appeal to some.
Over the years I have considered them from time to time and these are the conclusions I always reach:
On the Tacoma, it would stick down too far/unprotected.
On the Chevy, it would stick down plus that car is so low to the ground... vulnerable.
In either case it just doesn't work for me but I am happy for those with good experience.

Back