Dodge 62TE Lifetime Fluid...yep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by StevieC
I bought the Dorman dipstick with the temperature markings on it for my dad's back in 2012 when I was driving it and just check it cold.

I checked my 2018 as soon as I got it home from the dealer and will check it again when the break-in is complete just to be double sure.

So far it's operating perfectly but I intend to change the fluid regularly with the filter to keep it that way as I always laugh at lifetime fills and no dipsticks especially with FCA.

Can you share a link or pic of this transmission dipstick please?

Originally Posted by SargeBB
It's not just Dodge. No ATF is "lifetime."

True, but Chrysler minivans are known for their transmission problems, even with annual fluid changes.

Most cars go to the junkyard on their factory fill ATF. That is, most cars never have their transmission fluid changed, and they can last upwards of 200k with no problem.

That said, I still agree with you that I do not believe in lifetime ATF, and that ALL automatic transmissions should have a drain plug!

Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by StevieC
I bought the Dorman dipstick with the temperature markings on it for my dad's back in 2012 when I was driving it and just check it cold.

I checked my 2018 as soon as I got it home from the dealer and will check it again when the break-in is complete just to be double sure.

So far it's operating perfectly but I intend to change the fluid regularly with the filter to keep it that way as I always laugh at lifetime fills and no dipsticks especially with FCA.

Can you share a link or pic of this transmission dipstick please?

Go to Rock Auto and look up any Caravan from 2012 forward.

s-l640.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Thank you for posting the chart.

FWIW, I have a local shop that I trust working on it and will have a Dorman pan with drain plug installed.
Live and learn. Get lazy and pay the price, eh?

It shouldn't have failed, it should go to the scrap yard on original fluid like other units but unfortunately Chrysler units are a bit fussy. That said Caravan trans units from 2012 forward are usually pretty reliable so you should be ok with your next one along with regular fluid changes.

Last edited:
Magnefine is a good addition. Probably not "necessary", but multiple tests have proven they do keep the fluid cleaner.

I consider a pan with a drain plug mandatory if it is at all available. Makes it easy to D&F for folks who can't or don't want to cooler line flush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back