Sears Files for Bankruptcy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by emg
Originally Posted by itguy08
This had been coming for years when they failed to adapt their mail order business to the Internet. Had they done that there never would have been an Amazon (Woo Hoo) and they could have kept and possibly owned retail and mail order.

It's rare for an existing company to adapt to lead a new market, because they're usually far too invested in the old one. Given the choice between potential future profits and existing profits, most managers will always choose the latter.

Besides, it would only have bought them a few years. Local manufacturing is going to take down Amazon the way Amazon took down Sears: why buy cheap Chinese crap from Amazon when you can just print it in your basement?

Not a chance. Apparently you DON'T know 3d printing....

Originally Posted by philipp10

That weird book store on that new-fangled Internet thingy is not going to have any impact on real book stores. Just something the kids are messing with, it's all a fad.

More and more of the stuff I buy is made by individuals with 3D printers and small businesses with CNC machines. It's only going to increase from here.

I'm a late "Boomer" and going to Sears as a kid was an event for the entire family, especially before the holidays. No one is surprised by their filing and I think we all thought it was coming long before this. Sad it is but like Geddy Lee says, "Changes aren't permanant but change is".

Originally Posted by DBMaster
JC Penney will be next...

Likely. Retail is really getting hit hard. Macy's is not doing much better. Sadly, the era of department stores is coming to an end.

Sears going away, sure, it's sad for us over-50 crowd. Western Auto and Montgomery Ward gone too. Nostalgia is a thing. ...
Bright side is: Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Walmart, Kohls, Amazon, Discount Tire, Pep Boys, etc. are pretty good these days. Ace Hardware is still around too.
One can get almost anything. We're not going to miss Sears, which has been sorta MIA for the past 15 years anyway.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Wow! The end of an era. I hate to go in there. It's depressing. Even the Craftsman tools are almost not even worth trading in they are now such low Chinese quality. Just holding a replacement screwdriver feel and looks cheap. Voodoo economics sure works great. Proves people at the top never have enough and don't like to share no mater the cost.

Sears sold off Craftsman a couple years ago.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by DBMaster
JC Penney will be next...

Likely. Retail is really getting hit hard. Macy's is not doing much better. Sadly, the era of department stores is coming to an end.

Amazon has really expanded the various brands of high quality clothing they sell, this will only increase once Sears and JC Penny closes. Toys R Us closing also helps Amazon, look for the Amazon toy catalog in your mailbox very soon.

Lots of great online deals this Christmas shopping season at Amazon.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
Did that guy from the other Sears thread spend all of his points yet?

That was MY THREAD

No, I'll be accruing points until next May. To make previous purchases a good bargain (to me), I'm hoping to accrue AND SPEND points up through the end of the year! I've already got 7 things in my car, waiting for points to purchase them with!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Wow! The end of an era. I hate to go in there. It's depressing. Even the Craftsman tools are almost not even worth trading in they are now such low Chinese quality. Just holding a replacement screwdriver feel and looks cheap.

I ON PURPOSE paid 2X (or more?) for a Craftsman floor jack in 2001 because i didn't want a Chinese harbor freight one.

I was PI$TTED OFF when I found out later - in microprint - "made in china"

I never bought Craftsman anything ever again.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Toys R Us closing also helps Amazon, look for the Amazon toy catalog in your mailbox very soon.

I don't think they mail anything....? (except orders)

Originally Posted by emg
Originally Posted by philipp10

That weird book store on that new-fangled Internet thingy is not going to have any impact on real book stores. Just something the kids are messing with, it's all a fad.

More and more of the stuff I buy is made by individuals with 3D printers and small businesses with CNC machines. It's only going to increase from here.

I didn't say never. But its a long way off. And just what DO you buy that's 3d printed?

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
And who can forget the Kit Houses Sears sold in the 00's to 40's. They'd ship all the parts, already cut, and a bucket of nails, & you'd hire somebody to pour a foundation, etc., while YOU got to construct the frame. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Catalog_Home

Our next door neighbor when I was a kid was a plumber...he was a big, gentle man with a strong Slovak accent who, unfortunately, died fairly young.
When I was in my teens, my dad mentioned that the guy pretty much built his house on his own...think he hired or traded work with people to get the foundation poured and for some of the finish carpentry, but he handled everything else including all the brick laying (the first floor of houses in our town had to be brick!). Dad told me he showed up every day after work until sundown and all day on weekends until the job was done.
(my dad was his own general contractor, didn't do much real work on our house)
I had some MAJOR respect for that guy after that...dad also told me that his dad was a finish carpenter and he worked with a bunch of tradesmen he knew to build each other's houses, but grandpa just did the light carpentry and let his expert friends take care of what they were good at while he did he finish work on their houses. I guess grandpa was a little guy and not suited to doing framing, dad ended up being a lot bigger than him and I grew a lot bigger than dad. Grandpa also died very young, passed away when my dad was a little boy and many decades before I was born.
The idea of that neighbor doing hard manual labor all day and then driving to his lot to lay bricks until dark really impressed me...that's a MAN right there. I think he built a great little house, maybe his only mistake was adding a big planting box that was defined by an extension of the walls of the house and always had moisture seeping through the bricks. His wife loved to grow flowers and their kitchen windows looked directly onto those plants, but maybe it was a mistake to have a bunch of wet dirt contained by brick walls?

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
And who can forget the Kit Houses Sears sold in the 00's to 40's. They'd ship all the parts, already cut, and a bucket of nails, & you'd hire somebody to pour a foundation, etc., while YOU got to construct the frame. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Catalog_Home

Our next door neighbor when I was a kid was a plumber...he was a big, gentle man with a strong Slovak accent who, unfortunately, died fairly young.
When I was in my teens, my dad mentioned that the guy pretty much built his house on his own...think he hired or traded work with people to get the foundation poured and for some of the finish carpentry, but he handled everything else including all the brick laying (the first floor of houses in our town had to be brick!). Dad told me he showed up every day after work until sundown and all day on weekends until the job was done.
(my dad was his own general contractor, didn't do much real work on our house)
I had some MAJOR respect for that guy after that...dad also told me that his dad was a finish carpenter and he worked with a bunch of tradesmen he knew to build each other's houses, but grandpa just did the light carpentry and let his expert friends take care of what they were good at while he did he finish work on their houses. I guess grandpa was a little guy and not suited to doing framing, dad ended up being a lot bigger than him and I grew a lot bigger than dad. Grandpa also died very young, passed away when my dad was a little boy and many decades before I was born.
The idea of that neighbor doing hard manual labor all day and then driving to his lot to lay bricks until dark really impressed me...that's a MAN right there. I think he built a great little house, maybe his only mistake was adding a big planting box that was defined by an extension of the walls of the house and always had moisture seeping through the bricks. His wife loved to grow flowers and their kitchen windows looked directly onto those plants, but maybe it was a mistake to have a bunch of wet dirt contained by brick walls?

Great story - I love reading stories like these!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back