BEETS: love them or hate them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by E150GT
They taste like dirt
Good point. Their aroma reminds me of the smell of freshly plowed dirt back when I was a farm boy. That's not horrible. I eat them occasionally, but beets are kinda neutral on the like-dislike scale for me.

Pickling mostly eliminates the dirt flavor.

Silver Beet and Beetroot are staples of the Kiwi diet, but I guess you are talking about beetroot. Beetroot is one of my first harvests from my summer garden, pulling them out, steaming and bottling just a few days before Xmas...if I have a bumper crop I give jars away as presents. A Tomato, beetroot, cucumber and lettuce sandwhich, all from my garden is my summer lunch. I also roast them and use them in cooking, or grated in salads. A hamburger in NZ is not a hamburger unless it has beetroot. Always a can in the cupboard, and a bowl of slices on the table in summer is how it's always been.

Silverbeet grows all year round here....just been out in the garden and counted 12 silverbeet plants, they are weed in our garden.

I love beets...my wife and daughter are appalled by them.

I didn't like them at all when I was young and was stunned when the father of a good friend of mine pulled a jug of borscht out of their fridge and started chugging it...my first reaction was that maybe he was despondent and trying to kill himself!!!
;^)

15.gif

Originally Posted by gman2304
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by rollinpete
I like Beet soup, probably at least once a month.
Similar to the way I make it.
Here
https://www.google.com/search?q=bor...540j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Used to like pickled lambs tongues, Rogers used to have them, don't see them anymore.

It's all good stuff.
smile.gif

Pete: thanks for that, I'm going to try it soon
smile.gif

. Pete: thanks for that, I'm going to go throw up!

Your welcome
lol.gif

Beets are the one thing I will not eat.
My friend, who is a chef says I never had beets that were properly prepared. He made me some. I tasted it and said nope, still tastes like beets. They were slightly less horrible but still tasted like beets. Still not eating them.

I bought a big one yesterday and roasted it in the oven. Just tasted so-so at best. And still have a fair amount of it left. Great that will be fun trying to use up. I don't like wasting food so will try to eat it. I've had worse like pickled goat's tongues. No, just joking never had those. I'm sure the beets are spectacular compared to those.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I bought a big one yesterday and roasted it in the oven. Just tasted so-so at best. And still have a fair amount of it left. Great that will be fun trying to use up. I don't like wasting food so will try to eat it. I've had worse like pickled goat's tongues. No, just joking never had those. I'm sure the beets are spectacular compared to those.
lol.gif

Yeah, liver&onions is farthest I'll go towards eating weird foods

Never tried liver and onions but would be willing to give it a try I suppose. Hopefully the liver doesn't have a gritty taste to it. Although I wouldn't cook it up for myself since it looks so gross in the raw state. I'd be gagging while throwing it in the skillet. I've been making smoothies lately which kind of remind me of ice cream. Greek yogurt, banana, Aldi organic PB, almond milk, ice etc....my nephew thought it was a snack. No this is a meal.

lol.gif

If your having trouble with the beets I guess this one will be out of the question.
crackmeup2.gif

PickledMeats.jpg

Never tried liver and onions but would be willing to give it a try I suppose. Hopefully the liver doesn't have a gritty taste to it. Although I wouldn't cook it up for myself since it looks so gross in the raw state. I'd be gagging while throwing it in the skillet. I've been making smoothies lately which kind of remind me of ice cream. Greek yogurt, banana, Aldi organic PB, almond milk, ice etc....my nephew thought it was a snack. No this is a meal.

I don't use yogurt in mine. Just unsweetened almond milk, few almonds and walnuts, banana, Apple, blue and blackberries and some protein powder like 1/8th scoop. Real tasty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back