Engine oil for OMC Cobra engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
still confused about the selection of marine engine oils and all the "recommendation" in the internet, I am trying to find the best solution for my boat.
The manual of the 1995 OMC Cobra 4.3GL calls for streight weight SAE30 and not for multiviscosity oils.
Nowadays I can just find marine multiviscosity oils e.g. Quicksilver, Sierra, Ravenol, Rowe and Kroon Oil in the viscosity 25W-40 and 20W-50.
I know, today oils are much better than 1995.

The 20W50 and 25W40 are thick oils, but do they stay in grade and are they comparable with the SAE30?

Btw. I live in europe, so some oils are not available here.

Are there some recommendations for a usable oil for ths engine?

If you are worried about 20w50 shearing, change it more frequently. I would talk to some local marine engine techs to get their input. No experience with old boats, just old BMWs
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by CT8
Yes and the 15W4-40 HDEOs work well in marine use.

+1

Your biggest issue will not be the engine, but rather the outdrive. Mercruiser are easy to find parts for, OMC, not so much.

It's a small block Chevy. Other than running at high RPMs often,
not much different than the auto/truck engine.
15W-40 available everywhere.

My 2¢

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by CT8
Yes and the 15W4-40 HDEOs work well in marine use.

+1

Your biggest issue will not be the engine, but rather the outdrive. Mercruiser are easy to find parts for, OMC, not so much.

It's an SX, so all Volvo Parts will fit.

I have been using Rotella 15W40 for the past eight years on my 2455 Bayliner. It has a five liter GM engine and OMC outdrive. I was surprised how clean the oil looked when I changed it this fall. Sure sign I didn't use it enough!

Same here.... Rotella 15W-40 or Chevron Delo 15W-40 for many, many years

Use whatever European 15W-40 (or similar) HDEO you can find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back