When should use synthetic blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Pennzoil Gold 5W30 d1G2 was a weird one, SOPUS claimed some pretty good performance numbers in their data sheet and then it pretty much disappeared from the shelves around here just after it was introduced.

I have head on here that some quick change places use it...

Maybe they were experimenting with the idea of blends. I used to see them at Wallyworld and then all of a sudden they were all gone. Maybe they wanted to compete with Valvoline but didn't do to well and due to marketing.

When you can get full synthetic oil on sale more easily and get rebates why should you waste your time? With sales and rebates my full synthetic runs about $12 to $14 a five quart jug on the average.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Gold 5W30 d1G2 was a weird one, SOPUS claimed some pretty good performance numbers in their data sheet and then it pretty much disappeared from the shelves around here just after it was introduced.

I noticed that and thought it was really weird. The numbers were good enough to compete with Platinum, at least for 0w20. But with the rebate, Platinum is now dirt cheap, so really there's no place for it, from a marketing and price standpoint. Maybe it will reappear when the rebate season ends.

Do blends really sell that well anyway? They seem to be something for someone who is indecisive about whether they want a full synthetic or dino. I've never even been tempted to purchase one until I saw the data for Pennzoil Gold.

Yes, but when there is data showing modern group III base oils approaching, and being equal in some cases to PAO, why do we care as consumers?

This is because it does not sell.

I think there is no difference between a modern SN Plus "conventional" and "synthetic blend" so whichever one you like or is on sale is fine...

Pennzoil High Mileage (5w20 and 5w30) (not Platinum) has the exact same MSDS language. Can still get it on Amazon.com and Walmart.com.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
When you can get full synthetic oil on sale more easily and get rebates why should you waste your time? With sales and rebates my full synthetic runs about $12 to $14 a five quart jug on the average.

Bingo. Syn Blends are now outdated. There was a time and place for them, but that time has passed.

Magnatec Blend was working well in some applications whereas Magnatec Full Synthetic wasn't . Same grade, same engine. This was according to some Ecoboost owners. Go figure. Wasn't that long ago.

Originally Posted by madeej11
Magnatec Blend was working well in some applications whereas Magnatec Full Synthetic wasn't . Same grade, same engine. This was according to some Ecoboost owners. Go figure. Wasn't that long ago.

I remember those threads as well. Always wondered why but never got around to inquiring.

With all the companies coming out saying their conventional oils are really a blend I'd say it's conventional oil that's out dated and on its way out.

Originally Posted by wemay
Synthetic Blends are hardly "outdated"

There's no need for the 3 tiers any longer since it was astutely noted that conventional are now syn blends.

Either have conventional and synthetics on the shelf or have "syn blends" and synthetics.

This is the point I was trying to convey.

Originally Posted by dogememe
I think there is no difference between a modern SN Plus "conventional" and "synthetic blend" so whichever one you like or is on sale is fine...

Use a synblend when you are flush with cash

Originally Posted by Greggy_D

There's no need for the 3 tiers any longer since it was astutely noted that conventional are now syn blends.

Either have conventional and synthetics on the shelf or have "syn blends" and synthetics.

Agreed.
I believe the only reason the descriptor "Conventional" is still used for 5w20/30 is because a large segment of the US population still doesn't trust Synthetic or Semi-Synthetic oils. The brands don't want to alienate that demographic ($$).

Nothing but my opinion.

Last edited:

Agreed.

+1

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Agreed.

+1

+2 count me in on that...

When its the most cost effective option, while meeting OEM specs, while utilizing OEM recommended OCI.

In other words over 90% of this board could use a blend because the majority do not even use the recommended OCI. Which makes no sense because this isn't a better maintenance practice.

It's seems the lighter oils these days are using more synthetic base in conventional oils. I guess to try and help it stay in grade.
Also high mileage oils seem to be blends usually.
Ford Motorcraft is a blend and it proves to do fine for 7500 in my fusion and 10k or more usually in my sister's explorer. So maybe there's something too it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back