Craftsman Mower: Stock Up on Parts Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
As has been posted here, Sears has declared Ch. 11 Bankruptcy. I know that they no longer own the brand Craftsman, but I'm not sure how their potential failure would impact parts availability.

I just bought a new 28" mower and am wondering if I should stock up on blades, belts, air filters, etc. now. Any input is appreciated!

Note: I would use my remaining SYWR points to buy these things, so they would be "free"-to-me.

I seriously doubt anyone will forget our parts for Craftsman stuff. I own a 54 inch mower from them and get parts off the Net all the time that are not Sears branded.

Sears did not make my mower, I bet they didn't make yours either. Do you know who did?

Originally Posted by Donald
The model 247. is MTD and 917. is Husqvarna. No problem getting most parts.

My 19 HP/42" is a Husq as well …

Lowe's is now selling Craftsman tools, power outdoor equipment and generators. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting parts.

Whimsey

Is there any easy way to determine who actually made the mower? I haven't looked online very much, but see nothing in the literature or on the mower itself that helps with maker (other than the B&S engine).

Thanks for the quick replies, by the way.

I wouldn't worry about it. There will be plenty of parts around seeing that Sears didn't make the engine, or anything else on the mower, snow blower, etc.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I wouldn't worry about it. There will be plenty of parts around seeing that Sears didn't make the engine, or anything else on the mower, snow blower, etc.

+1. They were never made by Craftsman anyway. Craftsman bailed out of Canada a long time ago. No problems sourcing parts. The parts seem to fit many mowers, MTD being one of them.

Originally Posted by Donald
The model 247. is MTD and 917. is Husqvarna. No problem getting most parts.

Yep....Just a mower that says Craftsman.

You should use up your SYWR points "just in case." I bet you can find commodity items like filters cheaper on ebay, so maybe buy something like toilet paper or laundry detergent at sears.

Sears sold the Craftsman brand to Black and Decker in August. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, because Black and Decker is going to defend and protect their brand reputation.

I also understand that the Kenmore brand is for sale, and I have a house full of those appliances.

Let's see, over the years, Craftsman has been made by (IIRC), MTD, Husqvarna, Simplicity and I'm sure others in recent years. So, I'm doubting it'll be any big deal getting parts.

Originally Posted by bchannell
Let's see, over the years, Craftsman has been made by (IIRC), MTD, Husqvarna, Simplicity and I'm sure others in recent years. So, I'm doubting it'll be any big deal getting parts.

I have a Craftsman snow blower and when I needed a replacement auger for it I discovered it was made by Murray. I also discovered Murray brand parts from RepairClinic were MUCH cheaper than the same part in a Craftsman box, also from RepairClinic!

Originally Posted by gathermewool
As has been posted here, Sears has declared Ch. 11 Bankruptcy. I know that they no longer own the brand Craftsman, but I'm not sure how their potential failure would impact parts availability.

I just bought a new 28" mower and am wondering if I should stock up on blades, belts, air filters, etc. now. Any input is appreciated!

Note: I would use my remaining SYWR points to buy these things, so they would be "free"-to-me.

Why would you want to panic buy like that? It's either Husqvarna or MTD made and parts are plentiful.

Sears folded in Canada a year or two ago. However brand new Craftsman snowblowers are available at Lowe's so someone must have bought that part of their business. Most small engine shops around here can still get Craftsman (or compatible) parts easily.

All the parts I've needed for my Snapper push mower have come in Briggs boxes. I rebuilt the FWD system on it, incl front wheels, transmission and the drive disc on my Snapper rider. All the parts came in Briggs & Stratton boxes. Also, parts for old Lawn-Boy 2 strok F-Series were still available when I rebuilt it and weren't hard to find. Lawn-Boy D-Series parts are getting harder to find, though but they haven't been mowers with these engines since the late 1970s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silverado12
All the parts I've needed for my Snapper push mower have come in Briggs boxes. I rebuilt the FWD system on it, incl front wheels, transmission and the drive disc on my Snapper rider. All the parts came in Briggs & Stratton boxes. Also, parts for old Lawn-Boy 2 strok F-Series were still available when I rebuilt it and weren't hard to find. Lawn-Boy D-Series parts are getting harder to find, though but they haven't been mowers with these engines since the late 1970s.

Briggs and Stratton bought the Snapper name around the year 2010. Murray is also B&S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back