UOA Amsoil Signature 0w30 12,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the results of my oil analysis on my 2004 Chevy Silverado 5.3L from Oil Analyzers Inc. Engine internals are completely stock with 227k miles. At the last oil change I swapped from Amsoil OE 5w30 to Signature Series 0w30 and installed a partial bypass oil filter kit. The oil in question had 12053 miles on it. My truck seeps some oil from the seals so during that 12k miles I had to top it off with a total of 3 additional quarts. My typical commute is ~10 miles daily but there are a fair number 90+ mile trips on this oil as well.

Comments:
Flagged data does not indicate an immediate need for maintenance action. Continue to observe the trend and monitor
equipment and fluid conditions. Base Number is MODERATELY LOW. As Base Number depletes, the ability to neutralize acids is
diminished. Boron is slightly low for this lubricant. Boron levels may naturally decline with use so this is not a cause for
concern.

Code

Iron 13

Chromium 0

Nickel 1

Aluminum 1

Copper 3

Lead 2

Tin 0

Cadmium 0

Silver 0

Vanadium 0

Silicon 16

Sodium 27

Potassium 13

Titanium 0

Molybdenum 208

Antimony 0

Manganese 0

Lithium 0

Boron 66

Magnesium 926

Calcium 1447

Barium 0

Phosphorus 745

Zinc 845

Fuel Dilution
Soot
Water
Viscosity 100° 11.2

Base Number 2.7

Oxidation 52

Nitration 13

I am interested if anybody has done a VOA on this oil since the last reformulation? I have searched for that info on this forum and others and the latest I can come up with is from 2011.

Looks good and it more than likely could go even further, though it is hard to judge based on the 3 quarts that you added.. Not too bad for 227k miles! One question: have you tried a high mileage oil to slow down the seepage?

Originally Posted by JustN89
have you tried a high mileage oil to slow down the seepage?

I have not. I say seep rather than leak because it has never so much as dripped. I can just see that dirty oil coating a few places under the hood. I do not believe it is burning any significant amount based just from looking at the spark plugs.

I really like the cold weather cranking performance and protection of the 0w30 and the extended drain interval. Finding a high mileage oil that offers all of these would be a tall order. Especially at a good price, I am an Amsoil dealer so I get good pricing on my own oil.

Depends on who you ask. Official GM spec is that oil consumption less than 1 quart per thousand miles is perfectly acceptable, or so says my friend who is a tech at the dealership. Personally I think that is BS, but that's just me.

As long as the oil isn't making a mess on the ground I'm good. The cost of replacing the leaking seals would likely never be recovered before the engine gives up the ghost. When it does finally let go, I'll rebuild it and it'll have all new seals.

Honestly I am amazed it leaks as little as it does. I have no idea what oil it had during its first 60k of life. My dad then bought it and used Pennzoil for most of the next 100k. Dad started using Mobil 1 EP maybe 140k. At ~160k I acquired the truck and started using Amsoil OE 5w30. At 215k I installed the bypass filter and swapped to SS 0w30.

More than one engine has been known to leak very little until a full synthetic cleans up all the sludge that is serving as a gasket.

Originally Posted by advocate
How long was the oil in the crankcase in months?

Approximately 8 months.

Originally Posted by ahemsa
Depends on who you ask. Official GM spec is that oil consumption less than 1 quart per thousand miles is perfectly acceptable, or so says my friend who is a tech at the dealership. Personally I think that is BS, but that's just me.

As long as the oil isn't making a mess on the ground I'm good. The cost of replacing the leaking seals would likely never be recovered before the engine gives up the ghost. When it does finally let go, I'll rebuild it and it'll have all new seals.

Honestly I am amazed it leaks as little as it does. I have no idea what oil it had during its first 60k of life. My dad then bought it and used Pennzoil for most of the next 100k. Dad started using Mobil 1 EP maybe 140k. At ~160k I acquired the truck and started using Amsoil OE 5w30. At 215k I installed the bypass filter and swapped to SS 0w30.

More than one engine has been known to leak very little until a full synthetic cleans up all the sludge that is serving as a gasket.

My Jeep 3.8 used between 1/2 and 1 quart per 1k miles from 40k to 116k. I'm not sure why, but at 116k, the usage declined dramatically to where I had a couple runs of 1k with no usage at all. It has settled in at just under cup per 1k now. The whole time, it has run like new and has never left a drop of oil anywhere. I'd love to know what is happening, but other than the 3.8 being notorious for this, there is nothing but a bunch of guesses out there as to what the real problem might be.

So, what I'm saying is that 1 quart per 1k miles may sound like BS, but if the engine runs fine and doesn't puke on the ground, I can see why it is acceptable.

I have been told modern engines burn more oil due to low tension oil rings.

I am inclined to agree, if its running great, which it is, I'm not worried about it.

Nice Report , Thanks for sharing.
thumbsup2.gif

Your what I consider small amount of oil consumption, (just a guess) could be valve guide seals.

Originally Posted by rollinpete
Nice Report , Thanks for sharing.
thumbsup2.gif

Your what I consider small amount of oil consumption, (just a guess) could be valve guide seals.

Could be. I'm not sure how much it is burning vs how much it is leaking. I know it is leaking enough to cover parts of the engine with oil, which then get covered in dirt. It's not pouring because it's not dripping anywhere. I'm sure it burns some, I'm sure it leaks some, but for her mileage I'll give the old girl a pass. Still starts and runs like new.

You don't need 0w anything in KY. There's a VOA on new formula SS 5w30 and 0w20 in the VOA section. Basically you're using a quart ever 4k miles, which seems excessive especially using one of the best engine oils available. Don't waste your money on SS. If you want to stay with Amsoil switch back to OE, if not use a HM of almost any brand. Amsoil doesn't make a HM oil that I'm aware of.

Originally Posted by dblshock
well 3 qts is not just a seep..lol.

+1

That's a good amount of make up, although not terrible.

Originally Posted by madeej11
You don't need 0w anything in KY. There's a VOA on new formula SS 5w30 and 0w20 in the VOA section. Basically you're using a quart ever 4k miles, which seems excessive especially using one of the best engine oils available. Don't waste your money on SS. If you want to stay with Amsoil switch back to OE, if not use a HM of almost any brand. Amsoil doesn't make a HM oil that I'm aware of.

It gets cold enough in KY plenty often enough to notice a difference in cranking speed between 10w, 5w, and 0w. Getting the oil flowing through the engine faster is never a bad thing.

As far as wasting money on the SS..... it is simply not true. Before I ever made the switch I calculated the money spent on regular oil changes with regular filters vs. extended drain intervals and bypass filtration system. Yes I factored in the higher cost of the oil and filters and yes I factored in the oil consumption. It isn't a lot cheaper, but it is cheaper, with the added benefit of not having to take the time to change it so often.

It gets cold enough in KY plenty often enough to notice a difference in cranking speed between 10w, 5w, and 0w. Getting the oil flowing through the engine faster is never a bad thing.

If you are noticing the difference between 0w and 5w at let's say 0F then you need a better battery. A healthy starting and charging system would spin over a conventional 10w40 in subzero temps and still give adequate protection.

Run whatever oil you want but I do think that's a lot of make up oil especially for an expensive oil when something like 5w30 Maxlife would pull 12k mile intervals on a bypass filtration system.

Last edited:

Complete bunk, 100% internet myth. It's been discussed over and over that if anything, synthetic oils are actually the LEAST likely to be able to clean, because there is very little to no polarity to the oil molecules. It's much more likely to occur because the mix of additives to keep the seals pliable wasn't formulated similarly to the conventional oils.

Sorry, that much makeup oil really skews the results because you're refreshing about 1/5 of the additive package about every 4000 miles.

All in all,it looks ok.

Considering the makeup oil added, does anyone think the sodium and potassium numbers might be a sign of coolant contamination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back