What was your first 'good' bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first 'good' bike was a Cannondale SM500 ('89). I still have her, but I'm riding nearly all road anymore.

Probably our latest purchase,, Cannondale road bikes,,we love them.. maybe 20 miles on them,,its been raining here, lol

Astra Tour de France that I modified a bit working with a bike shop (in my 20's) …

I put alot of miles on the Huffy 10 speed when I was teenager but I'd have to say my first good bike was the Specialized Hard Rock I paid $125 used. Primary commuter for a couple years but now it's my winter beater. After that the Trek 720 for a couple years then the Nishiki Manitoba when I killed the Trek. The Nishiki was the first new bike I've owned, I've accessorized it into the perfect commuter.

My first "bike store" bike was in 1990, a Specialized Rock Hopper Sport. CrMo solid frame. Fantastic, solid bike that I still ride.

Originally Posted by Eric Smith
I put alot of miles on the Huffy 10 speed when I was teenager but I'd have to say my first good bike was the Specialized Hard Rock I paid $125 used. Primary commuter for a couple years but now it's my winter beater. After that the Trek 720 for a couple years then the Nishiki Manitoba when I killed the Trek. The Nishiki was the first new bike I've owned, I've accessorized it into the perfect commuter.

They named a bike after my province! Too funny.

Way back in the 60's my first bike was a Columbia. It came with the handlebar streamers which were the first things to come off. Later the fenders. I rode that bike for a number of years but it died in a spectacular crash when I was zipping down a alley and hit a chuck hole. I went face first into the gravel and turned my face into hamburger. The bike frame crossbar snapped in two plus bent the front wheel and the handlebars.

Probably a Raleigh Olympian, circa 1986? Followed by a Raleigh Technium with AL main tubes and glued lugs.

Redline Proline that I bought from an ex racer so I could race. This was around '84-'85. Graphite Z-Rims, Bullseye hubs, Uni seat, Hutch handlebars, Pro-Neck gooseneck, Proline (?) 180mm crank. I think I bought it for $125. I got some cracks behind the seatpost, but I was in metal shop so after I stripped the parts and paint off, I had my teacher weld the crack. I then repainted it, installed all the parts, re-stickered it (has to use the Proline II ones but blacked out the II
grin.gif
). Fellow riders thought I got new bike! Ended up selling after moving to AZ for $150. I now have a Gary Fisher Mt. Tam that has the polished aluminum finish. Mostly being used as living room backdrop scenery.
frown.gif

Last edited:
1983 Schwinn Predator competition. Cost about $250 new. Yikes! Added Hutch chrome handle bar stem and laid back seat post Vector VC bars Oakley pads and B1B grips. Ahh, those were the days.

I had cheap bike as a kid, but bought a nice Gary Fisher Paragon MTB when I was in my twenties. Switched to road biking with a Raleigh Competition. That Raleigh is now my rain bike, I usually ride my Pinarello Marvel.

sometime in the mid 50s,,an 3speed English bike with a generator on the rear tire,,road it for about 10 years ,,,,

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
sometime in the mid 50s,,an 3speed English bike with a generator on the rear tire,,road it for about 10 years ,,,,

Ah, the legendary Sturmey Archer internally-geared 3-speed hub. Nice! It's likely your bike was a Raleigh.

My first "good" bike was a Motobecane Jubilee Sport which I bought in 1982. I found the 1982 MB catalog on line and they said it weighed 23 pounds. Not bad for 1982.
I rode it less than 2 years and demolished it in a crash. Another rider went down, I hit him, the chain rings contacted the pavement, and things went down hill from there. Almost everything was bent or ground on, except the brakes, handlebars, stem, seat post and saddle. Also, the bottom bracket was Swiss thread, so fairly useless on the replacement frame.

Replaced it with a Peugeot CFX10 frame set which I built into a really nice bike. It is retired now; hanging in the garage. It was replaced just this year with a Lynskey, which is a very nice ride. It is my primary transportation, and I hope it remains that for many years.

A Raleigh Grand Prix purchased new in 1973 when I was 16; I had it restored several years ago and I still ride it.

Raleigh Grand Prix.jpg

Gary Fisher Tassajara in about 1995
Trek Liquid 10 in about 2003
Motobecane Century Pro spring 2018

Each one has a soft spot in my heart, and TONS of great memories.

Originally Posted by Number_35
Originally Posted by CourierDriver

Ah, the legendary Sturmey Archer internally-geared 3-speed hub. Nice! It's likely your bike was a Raleigh.

Could have been, got an old pic of me on it , great times and lots of hills here in Tennessee, cant climb them now,,,lol

My first bike was a Klein Performance. After a couple of years I sold it because I didn't like the touring like geometry . I replaced it with a 1987 Trek 1500 which I liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back